From Flyer To Base?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I just really grew to love it. So it was very saddening to switch is all.
Yes. It is so sad to be relegated to the grunt labor and unimportant ranks of the groundlings without whom a flyer never gets to be the star.

I'm admittedly salty but the mentality that bases are somehow less important and its therefore a tragedy to have to be one...drives me nuts.

Yes. It is so sad to be relegated to the grunt labor and unimportant ranks of the groundlings without whom a flyer never gets to be the star.
I was a flyer. So I know that without the bases the flyer never gets to be the star. I know that the bases are just as important as the flyer.

I was a flyer. So I know that without the bases the flyer never gets to be the star. I know that the bases are just as important as the flyer.
That's just it. The attitude that the flyer is the star. Totally toxic to a team. I am SO tired of it. Unless you can levitate, you aren't flyer without 3 other girls to make that happen. The flyer is not the star of anything. You have to lose that attitude or you will never be happy basing and it will effect your entire stunt group. We as a cheer community have got to work to get rid of the idea that flyers are stars and bases are replaceable.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Currently trying my best to put a positive spin on it. There's always next season and rec teams. A flyer can't fly without bases anyway so I have to do what's best for the team. It'll benefit me and make me a more versatile cheerleader. I'll stick it out and try to be the best base I can
You shouldn't have to "put a positive spin on it" it shouldn't be viewed as a negative thing, period.

You shouldn't have to "put a positive spin on it" it shouldn't be viewed as a negative thing, period.

I agree with everything you are saying, but change in itself can be hard. I will say as the thread has continued her attitude has improved. I think she seems open to taking everyone's advice.

Last edited:
@Itsthetriniinme I understand where you were coming from at first and am glad you've accepted your new position. Your first post was very emotional. Being a girl and being told you're too big for anything is insanely difficult. And even if no one actually used the words "too big," it's still going to be all you can focus on. You are not big. You do not need to make any changes to your body. You are strong and muscular and beautiful and will thrive in a new way as a base.

As someone that developed disordered eating when I became a backspot, I just want to make sure you're ok. It makes me really sad to see posts from moms and other people whom I know have struggled with eating disorders being so harsh and negative. Basing is not worse than flying, or less important, it's just different. It's human nature that change is hard. Add in the emotional/psychological part of flying and people (I hope) should see why a young girl would be upset at first. I wish you all of the luck in the world with learning your new role on the team!

I wish that everyone being negative about this would take a step back and realize that she's making an effort to be okay with this and to be an asset to her team as a base instead of a flyer. Switching positions in a stunt group is not an easy thing to do. Cut her some slack, let her throw herself a pity party. She's already getting over it.

That's just it. The attitude that the flyer is the star. Totally toxic to a team. I am SO tired of it. Unless you can levitate, you aren't flyer without 3 other girls to make that happen. The flyer is not the star of anything. You have to lose that attitude or you will never be happy basing and it will effect your entire stunt group. We as a cheer community have got to work to get rid of the idea that flyers are stars and bases are replaceable.

That's honestly the way it's treated on my team. So we'll all have to change our mindsets

@Itsthetriniinme I understand where you were coming from at first and am glad you've accepted your new position. Your first post was very emotional. Being a girl and being told you're too big for anything is insanely difficult. And even if no one actually used the words "too big," it's still going to be all you can focus on. You are not big. You do not need to make any changes to your body. You are strong and muscular and beautiful and will thrive in a new way as a base.

As someone that developed disordered eating when I became a backspot, I just want to make sure you're ok. It makes me really sad to see posts from moms and other people whom I know have struggled with eating disorders being so harsh and negative. Basing is not worse than flying, or less important, it's just different. It's human nature that change is hard. Add in the emotional/psychological part of flying and people (I hope) should see why a young girl would be upset at first. I wish you all of the luck in the world with learning your new role on the team!
Thank you so much. It really hurt my confidence hearing that I was "too heavy" for my bases, in the regular world I'd be totally fine. For a little I actually considered trying to lose a couple, but I've never been in better shape. I'll just take my new position in stride.

Good for you @Itsthetriniinme ! Changing positions when that is pretty much all you have known is a big deal. I can think of so many elements of the actual "changing" that could be extremely hard. Questioning your size, your ability, your value to your team if you are having to start over from scratch in a new position. Will you be able to do it? Will you let your team down? What if you work your hardest to learn the new position and your hardest isn't enough? It is a broad range of issues and emotions!! From your posts it seems that you are working through these things in a healthy manner. I think you are going to be just fine and I think you are going to put in some hard work and turn into a totally amazing base!!!!!!! :kiss:

Good for you @Itsthetriniinme ! Changing positions when that is pretty much all you have known is a big deal. I can think of so many elements of the actual "changing" that could be extremely hard. Questioning your size, your ability, your value to your team if you are having to start over from scratch in a new position. Will you be able to do it? Will you let your team down? What if you work your hardest to learn the new position and your hardest isn't enough? It is a broad range of issues and emotions!! From your posts it seems that you are working through these things in a healthy manner. I think you are going to be just fine and I think you are going to put in some hard work and turn into a totally amazing base!!!!!!! :kiss:
Thank you. I think it's hard to imagine how hard it is to change positions so drastically unless it has happened to you. I'll work towards being a good base. After speaking with my coach, I know now it's just where I'm needed and that it's because I'm really strong. Which does make me feel a bit better :)

Back