From Flyer To Base?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Full disclosure: I flew 90% of the time (barely 5'0 and typically smallest on most teams I was ever on, so it was almost by default) all the way up through college. So definitely not hate, because why would I hate the position I spent my athlete years in?

I don't necessarily think flying has become any more glorified now than it ever was. I mean, kids have wanted to fly since I was 5 years old and in Kaepas.

I do think there is a lot to be be said for teaching kids EARLY in the sport that VERSATILITY is an important quality in a cheerleader and that throughout your time as an athlete, things will change. Then the change is less jarring when it happens, if that makes sense.

Let's get rid of the flyers in our sport all together. Crucify me if you want but I am so tired of hearing the flyer hate.
Now to use the "ignore" function...

I think it is all about balance. When my CP was changed from a flyer to a base, she was sad at first. I wasn't mad at her for initially being sad. She now enjoys basing. Some people think it was wrong that she was sad at first. I think that is just human nature. With that said if she would have had a bad attitude, she would have had to give up the sport she loves because I would not pay and drive her back & forth to listen to her complain/whine.

Last edited:
^^^^^Yes.

I GET that you're going to be initially sad. Really. I do.

But I look at it like this: I worked fast food throughout HS and college. What if I looked at my life and said "All I've ever done is fast food, I can't do anything else?" I'd still be working fast food.

If you say "All I've EVER done is fly, I can't do anything else" you're missing out on adding to your skill set.

Not to mention that you're going to cut your cheer career short.

^^^^^Yes.

I GET that you're going to be initially sad. Really. I do.

But I look at it like this: I worked fast food throughout HS and college. What if I looked at my life and said "All I've ever done is fast food, I can't do anything else?" I'd still be working fast food.

If you say "All I've EVER done is fly, I can't do anything else" you're missing out on adding to your skill set.

Not to mention that you're going to cut your cheer career short.

I agree!

Yes!!!! I completely agree as well!!! Here is how we do it in our house:

Life hard right now?

I wish that I could lift that burden/hardship from you. Fact is I can't. You are going to have to deal with it. I will support you and love you always but sometimes you have to work through things yourself. I'm here for you. I love you. If you need a little time for a private pity party I'll be your guest but it can't go on forever, I have other things in my life and you have other things in yours.

I think its a little different when a person loses their flyer position simply because of a change in their size - when someone has been a great flyer for years and focused on those skills their entire cheer career, and then they grown 6 inches and gain 20 pounds cause of puberty, and then go in to cheer and are told "grab a shoe princess", that's insensitive, and I think it could lead to emotional issues and distorted eating. If the girl truly is too heavy now, then the coach needs to do what's best for the team, but a little sensitivity should be used and all of the attitude that the person is a diva if they are upset is coming down a little too hard on someone who may have dedicated 4-5 years of their cheer life to a particular position. The kid is probably already self-concious enough about their body changes. I don't know what the answer is - maybe a farther ahead warning than the first day of class of the new season - like maybe take the kid aside before tryouts and tell them the situation so they have time to think about it, accept it, etc.?

Now if someone losses their flyer position because 3 new more talented flyers tryout and make the team w/ better body positions/flexibility/balance that's a much different situation, and in that case it may be okay to be more harsh if the ex-flyer has a hard time dealing w/ the change. If you aren't the best at your position on the team, you can lose your spot - and that goes for all positions and not just flyers.

I just think there's a difference between "sorry, you're just too big now" and "sorry, there are other people who are better at flying than you now".

Well how many people are forced to fly because of their size... Maybe Jaylen can throw a full on crying fit at the gym and they will let her base.

They may even tell her she is to small to base... Oh wait they have.

Jaylen is over it and will fly till they can finally put her on the ground!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears that in terms of stunting and flyers the movement is towards smaller and often younger flyers. It is just the way it is. If the smaller flyer is just as good as the other flyer then the other flyer is going to be replaced. Why do people think they are going to always be a flyer or any other position in a stunt group? I know I'm not the only one that sees the trend. I've read people commenting in the same manner before. This will be my CP's 4th year. She has flown every year and has based every year except the last one. From day one I told her to enjoy that flying while it lasted because a day is coming when she won't be flying any longer. Not because she isn't good at it or because her body positions aren't good, but because there is going to be a younger, smaller flyer that is just as good as her that is going to take her place. Period. It's the main reason she jumped on the chance to base on L4 this year. She knows that being versatile is the best route to a World's team and that is her dream.

Well how many people are forced to fly because of their size... Maybe Jaylen can throw a full on crying fit at the gym and they will let her base.

They may even tell her she is to small to base... Oh wait they have.

Jaylen is over it and will fly till they can finally put her on the ground!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See Jaylen is a team player!!!!! She does what it takes for the betterment of the team!!! She gets it honest though, strong Mother usually equals strong Daughter! ;)

It appears that in terms of stunting and flyers the movement is towards smaller and often younger flyers. It is just the way it is. If the smaller flyer is just as good as the other flyer then the other flyer is going to be replaced. Why do people think they are going to always be a flyer or any other position in a stunt group? I know I'm not the only one that sees the trend. I've read people commenting in the same manner before. This will be my CP's 4th year. She has flown every year and has based every year except the last one. From day one I told her to enjoy that flying while it lasted because a day is coming when she won't be flying any longer. Not because she isn't good at it or because her body positions aren't good, but because there is going to be a younger, smaller flyer that is just as good as her that is going to take her place. Period. It's the main reason she jumped on the chance to base on L4 this year. She knows that being versatile is the best route to a World's team and that is her dream.

There was a program that I know of that had lots of juniors senior eligible wh were nice and small to fly but chose to have bigger flyers to prove they can hit whatever the size of the flyer.

At the my old program they had a girl who just aged out of juniors who was always a base and didn't want to fly but she was so small that she just couldn't base at seniors as she was basing someone 2 and a bit times her size. She did not have great stretches but as she couldn't tumble like quite a few she got to do some really cool stunts which did need stretches and I think for this season she has the stretches and I can't wait to see her

Umm.... did I miss something?

Some posters took comments in the thread to be flyer-related hate.

Honestly, I apologize if anything I said came off that way to anyone (hello, flew most of my career!)

However, when you're dealing with a TEAM sport, you need to do what's best for a team. Sometimes, it's switching someone to basing. I can't sacrifice the team's needs because Suzy is going to "feel bad." I will do my best to cushion the "ouch" that comes with making any change, but at some point you need to move on.

At the my old program they had a girl who just aged out of juniors who was always a base and didn't want to fly but she was so small that she just couldn't base at seniors as she was basing someone 2 and a bit times her size. She did not have great stretches but as she couldn't tumble like quite a few she got to do some really cool stunts which did need stretches and I think for this season she has the stretches and I can't wait to see her

And there is the issue, yes it is possible to have the taller/bigger girls fly, but then what are you going to do with the extra tiny girls (some girls are very small for their age) who can't even reach to base.

Is there anything I can do to make basing more enjoyable? The fact that I literally have someone elses life in my hands is super scary.
Also, I was told that I'm "too heavy" for the new bases. I'm 5'2 and 117lbs, mostly muscle.

Truth is, sometimes it has nothing to do with the flyer's weight or height; but more with what the base can lift or even the height of the base.

Your coach needs you to do something else than you are used to, so you should embrace it. Don't give up on flying either because college cheer needs athletes who are versatile, especially since most teams can do two and halfs. If your coach knows that you are both strong and have experience flying, you might be utilized there. But, opportunities like that are given to the team players, not the ones who are upset at placement.

Last edited:
Some posters took comments in the thread to be flyer-related hate.

Honestly, I apologize if anything I said came off that way to anyone (hello, flew most of my career!)

However, when you're dealing with a TEAM sport, you need to do what's best for a team. Sometimes, it's switching someone to basing. I can't sacrifice the team's needs because Suzy is going to "feel bad." I will do my best to cushion the "ouch" that comes with making any change, but at some point you need to move on.
Lol.I needed the sarcasm emoji. I was just surprised that people took it that way. I took this thread it as addressing a bad attitude regardless of position on the team. And as a mom of 2 flyers I am normally sensitive to the flyer comments!

Back