All-Star Full Down Help/tips Please!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 28, 2013
Were a rec team, but I feel like I would get answers much faster here than the rec forums. We have a competition this saturday, and we started doing full downs today. We only have one more practice left (thursday) before saturday and the cosches said we cant schedule another practice. Everyone seems to be getting the full down, but my stunt group isnt. Our flyer keeps falling on our secondary base. Were trying to pop her as hard as we can but its not working well. Any tips on how to base/fly/backspot/frontspot would be very* helpful. Thank you!!

Also: I am the backspot. The stunt sequence is extension, smush, extension lib, then full down.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Were a rec team, but I feel like I would get answers much faster here than the rec forums. We have a competition this saturday, and we started doing full downs today. We only have one more practice left (thursday) before saturday and the cosches said we cant schedule another practice. Everyone seems to be getting the full down, but my stunt group isnt. Our flyer keeps falling on our secondary base. Were trying to pop her as hard as we can but its not working well. Any tips on how to base/fly/backspot/frontspot would be very* helpful. Thank you!!

Also: I am the backspot. The stunt sequence is extension, smush, extension lib, then full down.

Okay, please understand that this is not directed at you. You are just following your coach's instructions. So.... If I understand correctly, you are supposed to full down from an extended liberty. Have you mastered full downs from preps? Two leg extended stunts? A full down from an extended one leg stunt is a skill that has several steps in front of it that should be mastered first. I understand that you want to do well at your competition but... Yikes. Work on full downs from two leg stunts. If your flyer is falling on your secondary, she is likely trying to jump to help aid the spin. She needs to ride the pop (no bent legs! Go back to straight ride cradles to emphasize this if necessary!) and twist however your team is twisting (I prefer pocket to pocket). But... I honestly don't know how a coach can teach a skill like a full down two practices before a competition and expect it to be perfected and performance ready. Yikes.

Okay, please understand that this is not directed at you. You are just following your coach's instructions. So.... If I understand correctly, you are supposed to full down from an extended liberty. Have you mastered full downs from preps? Two leg extended stunts? A full down from an extended one leg stunt is a skill that has several steps in front of it that should be mastered first. I understand that you want to do well at your competition but... Yikes. Work on full downs from two leg stunts. If your flyer is falling on your secondary, she is likely trying to jump to help aid the spin. She needs to ride the pop (no bent legs! Go back to straight ride cradles to emphasize this if necessary!) and twist however your team is twisting (I prefer pocket to pocket). But... I honestly don't know how a coach can teach a skill like a full down two practices before a competition and expect it to be perfected and performance ready. Yikes.

Glad you said it so I didn't have to. Threads like these are the ones that make me cringe because the athletes, like @ladybullets1039, just want to please their coaches, but their coaches don't seem to have safety in mind.

Just like @SarahS said, work on full downs from a prep first. It's much easier for a flyer to feel the pop from a prep and get a sense for when she should spin.

Back