High School Full Ups

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 11, 2014
My girls are so close to being able to hit a full up but they can never catch the foot as it comes around and it all crumbles down. Any tips for doing these it's really frustrating them as they are trying SO HARD to get this.

I have but honestly I can't tell who does what in that grip by the picture or the explanations that people have given, I really wish someone would do a video so my brain could process it lol.

Sounds like it probs has to do with the bases catching the feet, but without a video I can't really say haha

I would emphasize that their grip when they catch the foot/feet at the top doesn't have to be perfect. You can catch weird and improvise as you go, but if you try to catch perfect when it's not possible, your stunt will fall.

Plus if they're not comfortable with other release skills like ball ups or tuck ups, I would try those to help them get the hang of catching the feet at the top with sturdy locked arms

:)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

If they're really struggline catching the feet, could they try the cross feet grip? it still looks like a full up and is pretty easy (unless thats what you're already talking about)?

So for the cross leg full up, flyer crosses left over right. Main base grabs her right toe with her right hand, and left toe with her left hand. Side base grabs right heel with right hand, and left hand with left heel. The bases should step into each other as they dip, and both bases hold on with their right hands and the foot should just come straight to the bases. Make sure the flyer isnt standing up too quickly, or it will be REALLY slow.

But if you want to do the traditional full up with the feet normal, make sure the side base keeps their eyes on the foot theyre catching. When they full up, the main should guide the foot a little bit past eye-level, then settle. The main could be just power pressing it up instead of actually dipping and throwing, which could be a problem.

It's hard to tell without a video, but make sure:
1) That the full up is going high enough that the base has time to catch the foot before it is below prep;
2) That the flyer isn't trying to "find" the base and transferring weight before the base has a grip;
3) That the flyer keeps her feet together all the time so the base knows where the foot will be

If you want to do a "REAL" full up, the hardest part is catching the foot. I have a few tricks that have seemed to help recently.

1: The Backspot is key, she has to almost stop the stunt.
2: The flyer needs to keep her feet as close as possible
3: The secondary almost has to steal the foot on the way around.

Good luck! It's all about timing and technique. They will get it, but they will have to keep working!

Thanks for all the help, I recorded them working on it today and noticed a few things. A) they aren't really going up high enough, and B) the backspot wasn't grabbing that leg as soon as she needed too. Once they fixed those bits they got a lot closer today, thanks for the help I'm definitely going to try adding some of your advice to see if it progresses.

When they push up (bases), they need to push up all the way, very explosive. So they should be able to keep their arms straight the whole time, to when they catch the foot. And make sure they look for the foot and don't back out of it. The flyer needs to stand up straight and only look over her shoulder, make sure she doesn't turn with her shoulders. Also make sure the timing is on point with the bases and flyers.

Two things that work for us:

1. The secondary base needs to keep her arms locked when she catches and absorb with her knees (assuming you're going to the top, if not this doesn't apply!) When she catches if she has her arms bent, she tends to lose the battle of trying to push it up.

2. Have the secondary find the other bases arm. I actually wasn't for this, but it seems to work. Sort of like the grip UCA uses for single legged stunts, where the base holds the mains wrist with her left hand. For the full up, after the base throws, she should find that wrist with her left hand, and have the right next to it. IF the flyer keeps her ankles together like she is supposed to, then the base gets the foot better, because there is no guess to where it's coming.

My girls are so close to being able to hit a full up but they can never catch the foot as it comes around and it all crumbles down. Any tips for doing these it's really frustrating them as they are trying SO HARD to get this.
Tell your secondary, once they have released for the full up to begin, immediately put your hands up over the backspot, reaching for the feet early. This way as the full up comes around, the feet will run into the secondary's hands giving them enough time to keep it above their head while the spin is finishing the last 1/4.

So basically they do this little double bounce before they go up with the flyer and it hits. Has anyone else seen teams do this before w/the bounce?

So basically they do this little double bounce before they go up with the flyer and it hits. Has anyone else seen teams do this before w/the bounce?
Not sure I understand. Sounds like if its just an extra bounce that makes it hit, that it was just timing issues.

Back