All-Star Full Year Non-travel Teams?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

catlady

Cheer Parent
Jun 6, 2012
A parent just mentioned their gym is opening up the option for full year non-travel teams to parents and athletes that don't want to travel and who want to participate at a reduced cost. As quickly as some gyms are growing and are having to compete against themselves, I see this as a great option for those gyms, parents, and athletes. Do many gyms offer this? Do you offer it as voluntary on the parent/athletes part or is it part of the tryout placement by the gym? Does this take the place of the half-year/prep option or is it offered as yet another step toward full year travel? Gym owners, coaches, parent, athletes thoughts?

We do, but they are generally L1 teams. I suspect that based on our experiences this past season that our prep teams will also be non-travel, or non overnight travel. One year we did have a J2 regional team on the request of the families.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Can you define your definition of non-travel? No overnights, all competitions within 2 hr drive..etc....

Pretending to be a parent since 1993

Our non-travel teams will compete in 7 (?) local comps (less than an hour drive). Our travel teams will compete in Oregon, Canada, and possibly a comp that requires airline travel (in addition to the local comps). In Washington teams tend to not do a lot of travel outside of those comps (historically, anyway).

Can you define your definition of non-travel? No overnights, all competitions within 2 hr drive..etc....
Pretending to be a parent since 1993

Comps within a couple hours from the gym max. where overnight travel would not necessarily be needed.

As our gym is growing I'm seeing an opportunity for "middle ground" meaning some parents/ athletes enjoyed the half year experience and want more, however, the jump to full year travel is more of a a commitment than they wanted or perhaps expected. Would this help fill the gap and be a good stepping stone between big commitment with travel and very little commitment with half year/prep? Would this help gyms keep talented athletes whose parents aren't ready for the travel? Would it help keep talented coaches that find the travel too
hard with family/ health? Do you see it as an opportunity to grow more talent within the gym or do you see gyms losing athletes/parents from full year to go to no travel? I guess as the mega gyms continue to grow, I feel like this would be a great option and just wonder how common and successful it is.

We try to keep costs as low as possible for all of our teams. This year most of our teams were "non-travel," by that definition. There are a million options in the Baltimore area so we don't have to go too far to get quality competitions.

Our level 2,3,4,5 competed in Wildwood, NJ (3-4 hours drive) with that being their farthest. The rest of their two days were in Baltimore (45 minutes), DC (1.5 hrs) or OC MD (3 hrs). Only two really required an overnight stay. The rest of the competitions were a reasonable distance to drive both days.

Our level 1's and dance teams compete at all local events within 1.5 hrs, plus OC MD (3 hrs).

Historically we have gone to Cheersport or NCA, but only our level 2's and up went.

I would love the option of not traveling. We have enough competitions in our city where it really isn't necessary. Plus we aren't really part of a successful program that really needs to branch out to other competitions.

My CP, on the other hand, would be devastated if we did not travel. :rolleyes:

My dream would be to have a quality team at a quality gym where lower levels don't go to everything. So all level 1 and 2 attend "good" local comps within a two hour limit driving range and this is totally doable in NJ with many choices. Then have a one "end of the year" two day comp that is still drivable like within 4-5 hours. This could easily be done from NJ. Ocean City MD, Baltimore MD, Washington DC would all be great comps to wrap up the season without ever getting on a plane.

My dream would be to have a quality team at a quality gym where lower levels don't go to everything. So all level 1 and 2 attend "good" local comps within a two hour limit driving range and this is totally doable in NJ with many choices. Then have a one "end of the year" two day comp that is still drivable like within 4-5 hours. This could easily be done from NJ. Ocean City MD, Baltimore MD, Washington DC would all be great comps to wrap up the season without ever getting on a plane.
That would be nice. And it is nice to be centrally located so that you have that option.
Out we we are though, it is very rare to find any comp that is not at least 2-3 hours away. That's a local comp for us with the exception of one per season. But that one no one else really attends except the other gyms from Long Island and maybe a team or two from upstate or PA.
I think one of the problems smaller gyms have - especially those with a Worlds team trying to get a bid - is that many of the bid comps require at least 50% of your program to attend. So you have to bring your lower level teams regardless.

This is exactly how our program does it. It makes the sport more affordable at the lower levels, which is where we're trying to bring in the most kids.

I did not know that a gym had to bring extra teams to qualify for bids...continuing to learn.

Our prep teams compete four times, and all are within 30 minute drives from where our gym is located.
Our full year non-travel teams (min 1, youth 2, senior 2, senior 3) go to seven competitions all within a five hour drive. One required a hotel stay but none required a flight.
Our full year travel teams (junior 3, senior coed 4, senior 4) compete eight times. They were all within a five hour drive with the exception of NCA Nationals. Two required hotel stays. They were given the option of taking the bus down to NCA or flying.

This is exactly how our program does it. It makes the sport more affordable at the lower levels, which is where we're trying to bring in the most kids.

Yep.

Bringing in Minis/Youth is so important. IMO, no minis/youth = no gym!

Current financial climate dictates that we have to make it affordable for them, though. Parents don't have tons of money to go around unless you are Wealthy Manhattanite All Stars.

Flying 3 times a season in Youth 1? #ain'tnobodygotdimesfodat #broke #justflew2hoursformykidtodoaforwardroll

That would be nice. And it is nice to be centrally located so that you have that option.
Out we we are though, it is very rare to find any comp that is not at least 2-3 hours away. That's a local comp for us with the exception of one per season. But that one no one else really attends except the other gyms from Long Island and maybe a team or two from upstate or PA.
I think one of the problems smaller gyms have - especially those with a Worlds team trying to get a bid - is that many of the bid comps require at least 50% of your program to attend. So you have to bring your lower level teams regardless.
Yes that is a problem and parents who are cheer savvy know exactly why we are going to a last minute 2-day competition. I resent it...

Back