College ? Future Requirements Of College Cheerleaders ?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
All Star gyms are helping develop lots & lots of high level cheerleaders. It seems like tons of girls can throw fulls in difficult passes now. We have 2 young ladies at our small gym that have standing fulls. What does this mean for College Cheerleading? I wonder what the requirements to be a College Cheerleader on a strong team will look like in 5 or 10 years. How are Colleges going to choose, when skills that use to be rare are becoming common. Both of my girls (age 8 & 9) constantly say I want to cheer in Colege one day. They love watching top College teams compete on TV. I even wonder what will be considered "to tall" to make it as a flyer on a top College Team. Any feedback is appreciated.

well here is where you can find what most colleges are at least looking for at tryouts. as far as what will change in 5 to 10 years i'm not sure especially with some colleges trying STUNT!

I really hope that college cheer eventually moves to spring floor which will once again allow doubles. If that ever happens I see it uping the tumbling standards to make several of the big time cheer schools.

Hoping more portable air floors will happen soon so we can go to doubles and three high in college. We can dream right?

Attitude and stunting ability will always weigh heavily. Attitude is important - you can have R/O double double double quintuple, but it won't mean anything if you can't be coached and are just a drag in general! Right now, a lot of guys think 5'3 is "tall". I think they're a bunch of wusses.

There's a completely different dynamic to a college team due to the guys. You can kind of see it on Lv. 6 teams with a lot of current/ex college cheerleaders.

I agree that attitude (positive) plays a great part in college. Also knowing how to deal with pressure for those teams that compeate.

But as far as skill I dont think Allstar helps or has a huge advantage. (JMO)
You cant double in college
Hard floor in college when everyone in Allstar is on springfloor. Most schools do not want skill videos done on springfloor as well.
and level 6 stunting and pmyds.

when you watch a college tryout it becomes clear how different they are. Where there is an advantage is with schools that have a relationship with an allstar program like UofL and GT. This is where you see the advantage.

Thanks, So, where should high school students go to get experience & advantages to help them have a shot at being a College Cheerleader?

Find out what open gyms local teams go to. Email coaches in the area to see if they'll let your kids go to a practice. They should let them, for recruiting purposes.

Sorry, I am confused. We are already part of a great all star gym, but one of the posters replied all star doesn't give you an advantage for College Cheer. Are you talking about an open gym at a College? If so, I didn't know they did that.

The best thing to do is attend a pre tryout clinic with the school (s) that you are applying to. Most schools will host camps as well. That way your CP gets to meet the new coach as well as the other way around. She will leave with a understanding of what needs to be improved and how as well as what she is strong in. At her gym I am sure there are some coaches that could help her with stunting and hard floor tumbling as well.

I know UofL, KY and Maryland all have camps and pre tryout clinics, and I am sure there are many more that do the same.

Sorry, I am confused. We are already part of a great all star gym, but one of the posters replied all star doesn't give you an advantage for College Cheer. Are you talking about an open gym at a College? If so, I didn't know they did that.

Most gyms have "open gym", where you pay $5ish dollars to get in and play around and no membership is required. Almost every college team in my area has an open gym that most of them go to every week to work skills independently outside of practice.

Most gyms have "open gym", where you pay $5ish dollars to get in and play around and no membership is required. Almost every college team in my area has an open gym that most of them go to every week to work skills independently outside of practice.

Thanks, that is good to know! :)

I really hope that college cheer eventually moves to spring floor which will once again allow doubles. If that ever happens I see it uping the tumbling standards to make several of the big time cheer schools.
I just dont see how that could work. Most schools would have to practice at an all-star gym, and some aren't close to one and that shouldn't be a requirement to practice. A lot of programs don't get much in the way of funding, and asking for 7-9 mats that can be rolled up and put away is much cheaper than a whole spring floor.

Though if teams start getting recognized as "sports" I could see it happenign.

I wish they would move to spring floors to help with safety and wear & tear on the body/joints.

Back