All-Star Gabi Butler New Team Debut "lionheart"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The Large IOC team was made up of all Raleigh kids that were attending PHE. Gabi was coming in doing camps and helping the small coed team, but wouldn't help the IOC team due to "conflict of interest." We quit, so I don't know what happened in between, but they took and handful from Raleigh and combined with the folks from Florida. I believe quite a few quit and that's why they had to combine, but don't quote me on that. I believe the team that used to be small coed is now small IOC.

It sounds strange to read this somehow
Our senior teams over here are basically all only college students or working adults, mixed with a few school kids. And yet we still practice 2-3 times a week in general
I find it very interesting how different our cultures are when it comes to this, i am guessing it is different in the us because you guys maybe work more hours and University might be different too, i have no idea though
In my experience the International teams here in the US practice at least 1-2 days/week and attendance is expected. Our gym has an International team and they are treated similar to our other Worlds teams and are very competitive (top 10 last year at Worlds). Another gym in our area has an International team and I'm pretty certain they practice at least once a week and perhaps more often, and they are competitive too (has a Worlds bid for this year). I'm quite sure the top US International teams aren't "free for alls" or "come and go as you please" teams who practice sporadically. I'm sure there may be International teams that have a more "relaxed" practice and work culture but I doubt they are competitive on the Worlds level.

Depends on your definition of "that works"...I'm thinking yours and mine are similar LOL. I can totally understand how these friends want to just get together and see what happens. As a parent, as long as they are paying the bills, what harm can it do? Now, if I was footing any part of that cost, I am going to want commitment, schedule, focus, and a estimate of costs. It seems that these athletes are on the older side, with lots of experience, time on their hands, and just want to have fun. Good for them. There is nothing wrong with that as long as no one is getting hurt or misled.
Yeah- the initial wording made it a blood-sweat-tears-soul giving team that required a blood sacrifice but would be the penultimate in cheer discipline. If that's what I'm paying for...heeeeeeeeck no. But if it's just for funzies, that routine is worth that price.

We have a new iag team this year. The team practices 2x a week and attendence is mandatory. The team is made up of primarily former worlds athletes that wanted to continue with cheer that still lived close by. Their practices are run exactly how all the other worlds teams are run... With highly experienced coaches as well.
To keep costs down they only practice 2x a week vs. 3, and are only going to 3 comps. They will debut this weekend in AC... hoping they will not dissapoint and show that a first performance can be a good first impression!

We have a new iag team this year. The team practices 2x a week and attendence is mandatory. The team is made up of primarily former worlds athletes that wanted to continue with cheer that still lived close by. Their practices are run exactly how all the other worlds teams are run... With highly experienced coaches as well.
To keep costs down they only practice 2x a week vs. 3, and are only going to 3 comps. They will debut this weekend in AC... hoping they will not dissapoint and show that a first performance can be a good first impression!

Good Luck!

I think this is more common with IO teams than people realize.

They have working adults and college students on them.

There are instances in which a team may have never even had all teammates present to do a full out until right before a comp due to schedules.
My open team went full out for the first time last night. Next time we see each other is on Saturday (our first competition).

ETA: we are a just for fun open 4 pretty much... Practice twice a week, mainly coaches from other gyms who did college cheer 5+ years ago/haven't cheered in that long and even a mom..

@quitthedrama I don't think it was ever implied that any of these practices are "free for alls" or "come as you please". I took @oncecoolcoachnowmom comment to only be that it isn't that unusual for an IOC to be put together in the 11th hour, and they often don't get to practice as a full team. I tend to believe many of these kids/adults/coaches that take this avenue still enjoy cheering but, don't necessarily have the time to dedicate to a full year or have just aged out and this is their option. Whether or not these teams are worthwhile is really up to those that participate.

I think this is more common with IO teams than people realize.

They have working adults and college students on them.

There are instances in which a team may have never even had all teammates present to do a full out until right before a comp due to schedules.
Its so strange to think about how lightly the international divisions are taken in the states. In Canada, the majority of all world's teams are in the international division, as apposed to the senior division, and I honestly don't think I can name one Coed team in the senior division in Ontario. The io5 division is obviously the largest words division in Canada and I can guarantee that every single practice for those teams is mandatory and taken just as seriously as any other team.

@quitthedrama I don't think it was ever implied that any of these practices are "free for alls" or "come as you please". I took @oncecoolcoachnowmom comment to only be that it isn't that unusual for an IOC to be put together in the 11th hour, and they often don't get to practice as a full team. I tend to believe many of these kids/adults/coaches that take this avenue still enjoy cheering but, don't necessarily have the time to dedicate to a full year or have just aged out and this is their option. Whether or not these teams are worthwhile is really up to those that participate.
Fair enough - I may have misinterpreted her post (seems that other posters took it the same way that I have), but I do feel it is more unusual than not for a solid international team to be put together last minute. The Lionheart team has been advertised since summer, so even they were not put together in the 11th hour. I took her post to mean that it was common for International teams to practice in a similar manner as this Lionheart team and such teams are competitive at Worlds, and I find it hard to believe that the top teams operate in any way similar to Lionheart.
I have no issues with whichever route a team chooses to take - if a bunch of athletes want to get together from all over and practice every once in a while and go to competitions, that great for them.

Well for me it is also not the first time hearing about how IO Teams in the US are not as serious when it comes to mandatory practices. I follow a Girl on Youtube who has been on an IO5 Team that used to be IO6 before i think, she just recently switched gyms and i think she said because the old team just wasn't as serious. Also a friend of mine has been on an IO6 Team when she stayed in the US for year and it was also more like a real Open Team because people had to miss sometimes because of work or school or stuff like that, i don't think they ever went for a Worlds Bid though. I am under the impression though that there is also a difference between IO5 and IO6 , i feel like the top IO5 teams are definitly very serious about practices and such, while IO6 is a different story. I may be wrong though

The Large IOC team was made up of all Raleigh kids that were attending PHE. Gabi was coming in doing camps and helping the small coed team, but wouldn't help the IOC team due to "conflict of interest." We quit, so I don't know what happened in between, but they took and handful from Raleigh and combined with the folks from Florida. I believe quite a few quit and that's why they had to combine, but don't quote me on that. I believe the team that used to be small coed is now small IOC.
Bring It On, much?? ;);)

Well for me it is also not the first time hearing about how IO Teams in the US are not as serious when it comes to mandatory practices. I follow a Girl on Youtube who has been on an IO5 Team that used to be IO6 before i think, she just recently switched gyms and i think she said because the old team just wasn't as serious. Also a friend of mine has been on an IO6 Team when she stayed in the US for year and it was also more like a real Open Team because people had to miss sometimes because of work or school or stuff like that, i don't think they ever went for a Worlds Bid though. I am under the impression though that there is also a difference between IO5 and IO6 , i feel like the top IO5 teams are definitly very serious about practices and such, while IO6 is a different story. I may be wrong though

I don't know if your theory is true... but here there is a local IOC6 team of mostly coaches and college cheerleaders. They are not too serious, I don't think they even have uniforms. Still pretty good though!

It depends on what the athletes were told to expect for this team. What is "marketed" and what is actually told to the athletes can be two very different things.

Also, the original intention and the current situation of the team can be contradicting. Things don't always go as planned, and I'm guessing that reality set in and athletes realized that this team wasn't magically going to win gold just by wearing matching uniforms.

GOOD LUCK! We will be there!

I have no idea what to think of this team. I just don't understand how this team was announced months ago and then they somehow have only had one to three full practices as a team. Which makes me want to think they're for fun. But then You have kids traveling from Florida and NC to be on the team which is a pretty big commitment for a for fun team. Plus going to Dallas is also a pretty big commitment for a for fun team.
I know I'm not owed any explanation. But I'm very confused about the point of the entire team. And the hoods. And the black lipstick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back