All-Star Gabi's New Gym And Team Announcement 7/6/15

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Some top state schools like UGA, UT Austin, and UNC Chapel Hill are really hard for out-of-state students to get into. I could see some of those schools saying a student needed more APs to distinguish themselves just because admissions is really competitive amongst out of state ones.

UNC likes a minimum of 5-6 APs for all students and average freshman GPA is around s 4.5. It's my daughters dream school but probably won't happen. Yikes!

W/ all these crazy requirements at state schools now, where is the average student supposed to go? Is it just that now the average student has a GPA above 4.0? I really don't think that's whats happening at my sons school btw - the honor roll reports have a classification for kids w/ 4.0 or + every 9 weeks, and I'd say at most 15% of the kids in any 9-12 grade are on that list - so are 85% of the kids in my sons grade doomed to not be able to get into a half way decent school?

Is it possible that some of these schools are rejecting candidates w/ really high stats because they feel they are overqualified?

W/ all these crazy requirements at state schools now, where is the average student supposed to go? Is it just that now the average student has a GPA above 4.0? I really don't think that's whats happening at my sons school btw - the honor roll reports have a classification for kids w/ 4.0 or + every 9 weeks, and I'd say at most 15% of the kids in any 9-12 grade are on that list - so are 85% of the kids in my sons grade doomed to not be able to get into a half way decent school?

Is it possible that some of these schools are rejecting candidates w/ really high stats because they feel they are overqualified?

In this area 4.0+ GPAs are not uncommon however our school system also gives 2 extra quality points for APs (6.0 for As) and 1 for Honors (5.0 for As). Based on my daughter's current rank I'd bet 30-40% of students at her school have a 4.0+ but don't know for sure.

Of the state schools here in NC that my daughter is considering, the average freshman GPA ranges from 3.5 to 4.8 and she's looking at mid to upper range schools. But even less competitive schools don't fall below 3.1/3.2. I like you often wonder what "average" (hate that work but can't think of another) students are doing.

I meant to add that we've done a lot of research and multiple interviews at UNC. They like many other schools have a two tiered approach. Grades/course curriculum/standardized tests get you through the first "door". After that the second "door" is about extra-curriculars and your passions that have spanned multiple years. I know of several cases where a 5.0+ kid did not get into UNC while the 4.5 kid that started a "charity for underprivileged kids in Africa" did.

AP classes were an absolute waste for my CP. She didn't pass a single test and she isn't a bad student. Her AP Bio and AP Chem teachers were both absent a significant amount of time. I would love an online course dual enrollment option for my youngest!
Omg don't get me started. My daughter did pass all her exams so she got a few college credits. The thing that drove me insane was the big deal that our high school made about how important it was to take AP classes. They acted as if it was a deciding factor for scholarships and admissions. The colleges don't care AT ALL about AP classes. They don't even care about your GPA, as long as it's not bad. It's all about your ACT/SAT score. That determines your scholarship where we live. You get NO consideration for advance classes or any other achievements. Just that stupid ACT score. I told my younger daughter I don't care if she ever takes an AP class. Not falling for that again.

I took AP and IB classes in high school, enough to earn 2 years worth of credit at my state school. I started as a freshman IN my majors classes already.

When you don't have to pay for all the pre-reqs and silly common classes thanks to AP/IB classes, it is wonderful.
I cannot over state how much I loved not having to take the humongous freshman/sophomore common classes with all my friends.

It's interesting to note that for CP's freshman year in HS (last year) she had a 3.7 unweighted GPA and ranked 117th out of 497 students - her weighted GPA and rank was 4.1 and 104th. She had 1 AP class last year (passed the AP exam) - this year she has 2 AP classes - all of her other classes were/are Honors level where applicable. It's crazy to think that with outstanding academics - literally, all As and very few Bs in very rigorous courses, she's right on the edge of the top 20% of her class.

We moved CPs senior year...little did we know that new school wouldn't count honors/AP credits for classes old school offered but new school didn't. Did it impact her GPA...yep! Did it impact her acceptance at colleges? Who knows! She got accepted at some fabulous schools and rejected by equally fabulous schools... Oh and she had a crazy high ACT score and plenty of extra curricular activities (except cheer did get in the way of saving a third world country or discovering the cure for cancer).

Omg don't get me started. My daughter did pass all her exams so she got a few college credits. The thing that drove me insane was the big deal that our high school made about how important it was to take AP classes. They acted as if it was a deciding factor for scholarships and admissions. The colleges don't care AT ALL about AP classes. They don't even care about your GPA, as long as it's not bad. It's all about your ACT/SAT score. That determines your scholarship where we live. You get NO consideration for advance classes or any other achievements. Just that stupid ACT score. I told my younger daughter I don't care if she ever takes an AP class. Not falling for that again.
I don't think that's completely true. It was emphasized to us over and over that the colleges want to see that the students aren't slacking and that taking harder classes especially senior year was very important if they were trying to get into more competitive programs.
My daughter's program doesn't look at ACT/SAT scores actually. Teacher recommendations and the essay questions were of very high importance, as well as an academically challenging senior year and extra curriculars and life experiences that showed you were a well rounded person.

Last edited:
Not to mention, a lot of schools don't consider AP/Honors classes to be that big of a deal because so many kids are taking them. Seeing applicants with AP or Honors classes used to be a rarity. They are still hard, just not as hard as they used to be. Combine that with grade inflation and it becomes clear that standards are dropping. Many of the hardest working American students wouldn't survive at schools overseas, especially in Asia (where it is common for kids to have a 12 hour school day).

The high school classmates of mine that took APs never did their homework (and their teachers didn't check--but mine did, ugh), they only studied for tests and were pulling A+'s

Sorry for the interruption ni did y'all know it's NATIONAL DOG DAY?

Happy NDD everyone.

**Sometimes I day dream Cheer Son is almost as good as Susie and then reality sets in**
@Cheermom1969 GET HIM.

Not to mention, a lot of schools don't consider AP/Honors classes to be that big of a deal because so many kids are taking them. Seeing applicants with AP or Honors classes used to be a rarity. They are still hard, just not as hard as they used to be. Combine that with grade inflation and it becomes clear that standards are dropping. Many of the hardest working American students wouldn't survive at schools overseas, especially in Asia (where it is common for kids to have a 12 hour school day).

The high school classmates of mine that took APs never did their homework (and their teachers didn't check--but mine did, ugh), they only studied for tests and were pulling A+'s

@Cheermom1969 GET HIM.

Ignore him and he'll go away. Ok, no he won't but we can pretend. :p

you could always go the community college route, technically you save a whole lot more money anyways, and most colleges, well at least here in florida have a direct pathway with automatic admissions if you start off in community college. i wish i would have done it this way, to be honest.
Cp did this. She had the grades and was accepted into some great schools in FL, but when her dad got orders to TX it was too late to apply to schools there, plus we knew little to nothing about them. What was going to be one semester at a community college, turned into two years;she earned her AA and we saved enough money to pay for the next two years of school. It wasn't want she wanted to do originally, but she loved her time and I loved the money we saved.

Back