All-Star Generals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Here is the graph. Every subsequent position you go later yields a 1 point advantage. If Generals had gone 1 or 2 teams later they probably would have made it to finals performing the exact same routine with falls.

Update - This is NOT including any of the top ten from the previous round. Those were NOT random. This is just the paid bids which were, in effect, random. The equation shows that it is expected each team score, no matter difficulty, is expected to grow by one point each timeslot.

View attachment 154

Bogus. I'm jumping off a bridge.

Bogus. I'm jumping off a bridge.
Every time I see another post in the Worlds Scoring thread I want to cry for the small coed teams that went #1-25 and scored in the 216-222 range. I watched the division live and I really wanted to think I was just being biased when I thought the scores of some of teams that performed 32-39 were really high compared to better performances that went earlier, but the statistical evidence is showing some of the teams in small senior and small coed may have in fact suffered from "the bingo ball effect", and watching a few teams on VOD to compare head to head really makes me think this scoring philosophy needs to be reevaluated.

Every time I see another post in the Worlds Scoring thread I want to cry for the small coed teams that went #1-25 and scored in the 216-222 range. I watched the division live and I really wanted to think I was just being biased when I thought the scores of some of teams that performed 32-39 were really high compared to better performances that went earlier, but the statistical evidence is showing some of the teams in small senior and small coed may have in fact suffered from "the bingo ball effect", and watching a few teams on VOD to compare head to head really makes me think this scoring philosophy needs to be reevaluated.

I like this expression

The bottom line is ..... we pay a lot of money to trust our sport is judged fairly. We trust that those in charge of the competition monitor the scoring given by this selected panel to make sure it is correct! If it is not, they no longer should be considered for judging and scores should be corrected. Year after year I hear of one problem or another....how many chances should the USASF or company in charge of a competition get to get this right, and maybe it's not monitored close enough?? If I was given the prestigious title of JUDGE, no matter what the competition, I would take the title seriously and score without bias or favoritism based on what I saw. I think video re-play would help. If we want respect from the world.... DON'T CHEAT THE SYSTEM! Stop making families waste money on a sport they LOVE with questions about scoring. We will never prove cheerleading is a true sport this way! Thanks for listening to my rant, I hope this makes sense! xoxo

The bottom line is ..... we pay a lot of money to trust our sport is judged fairly. We trust that those in charge of the competition monitor the scoring given by this selected panel to make sure it is correct! If it is not, they no longer should be considered for judging and scores should be corrected. Year after year I hear of one problem or another....how many chances should the USASF or company in charge of a competition get to get this right, and maybe it's not monitored close enough?? If I was given the prestigious title of JUDGE, no matter what the competition, I would take the title seriously and score without bias or favoritism based on what I saw. I think video re-play would help. If we want respect from the world.... DON'T CHEAT THE SYSTEM! Stop making families waste money on a sport they LOVE with questions about scoring. We will never prove cheerleading is a true sport this way! Thanks for listening to my rant, I hope this makes sense! xoxo
I can't blame the judging panel for the Worlds scoring issues - they were simply doing what they were asked to do, which was compare routines within the division. The trouble with that system, is that with divisions such as small senior and small coed that had nearly 40 teams, you can not possibly compare the team that went 3rd to the team that went 33rd. I do agree that the current Worlds scoring system is flawed and teams are at a huge disadvantage if they compete early on in the OOA, and USASF needs to have a more objective scoring system, and video replay is a no-brainer - I can't understand why this hasn't been adopted by all major EPs.

I totally agree with this! I feel like how you place at worlds has more to do with where you went in the order and the name on your uniform than your actual routine. If this happens every year then what is it going to take to change this? Does the usasf even care or acknowledge that it is happening? Or do they just see the money continue to come in so don't really care.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

WE Generals had low scores in BOTH Running and a standing Tumbling!! To be exact they got a 9 out of a possible 15!

When they approached the judges, they were told that was a "high" score compared to how large senior was being score (different division, diff arena). They said that Large senior was the bench mark.. Bogus answer if you ask me!! I bet if I saw those score sheets, Large Senior was scoring higher than a 9!!!

GENERALS.. Did not perform very well day 1 but the rest of the routine should have high enough scores to get them to day 2. Generals missed it by 1 pt!!

Thoughts??

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Generals not making finals was devastating to all of us. My heart broke for those 20 kids and their 2 coaches. While the scoring at Worlds has definitely been a curious topic, to say Generals should have been in finals would be saying one of the 10 teams that made it to finals should not have been there. I believe you have to earn your way to finals no matter who you are, and unfortunately we dropped two stunts and did not finish our routine strong (and did we ever learn a lesson from that). We scored a 17 on dance because we did not finish strong. All we had to do was earn 1 more point after our two dropped stunts and we would have made finals. OK, we did question our difficulty score on both standing and running tumbling (which we generally score very high), but the answer we received from the USASF representative was that we were scored in the high range that was set earlier in the day by the large senior division. I personally congratulate all 10 teams that made it to finals and believe they earned their way. We will work harder next season and hopefully earn our way to finals as well. Thank you again to everyone that supports Generals and Woodlands Elite in particular.

Generals not making finals was devastating to all of us. My heart broke for those 20 kids and their 2 coaches. While the scoring at Worlds has definitely been a curious topic, to say Generals should have been in finals would be saying one of the 10 teams that made it to finals should not have been there. I believe you have to earn your way to finals no matter who you are, and unfortunately we dropped two stunts and did not finish our routine strong (and did we ever learn a lesson from that). We scored a 17 on dance because we did not finish strong. All we had to do was earn 1 more point after our two dropped stunts and we would have made finals. OK, we did question our difficulty score on both standing and running tumbling (which we generally score very high), but the answer we received from the USASF representative was that we were scored in the high range that was set earlier in the day by the large senior division. I personally congratulate all 10 teams that made it to finals and believe they earned their way. We will work harder next season and hopefully earn our way to finals as well. Thank you again to everyone that supports Generals and Woodlands Elite in particular.

I want to be fine with these words and move on, but I'm not. Haha. Everyone and their mother knows that Generals not only deserved to compete during finals, but would've probably medaled if they hit. I know this team has cracked under pressure at World's before, but this time it was a total injustice on the side of the judges... le sigh.

That being said, can you gals become Lady Generals next year? That way, Lady Bullets, Lady Lightening, and Lady Generals can all medal next year and small senior fans can rejoice in shear happiness. It'll also make for a sick T-shirt. :)

Very classy. I was so upset for that team when they didn't hit. One of my favorite routines of the year.

Love this team, this gym and the class you clearly bring to this sport! There are many others out there that would be ranting about how unfair this was (and it was) to anyone who would listen. At the end of the day, it was unfair, however, LIFE is unfair and our job as coaches is not only to teach our athletes how to perform skills but also how to act after disappointment. I can't wait to see Generals and the entire Woodlands program come back stronger then ever next season.

In terms of Worlds scoring and Cheer scoring in general. Best not get me started or we will be here all night :)

Back