All-Star Gi Pros

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If I read the coaches response correctly, I think their frustration was not with the score itself, but with the inability to get answers about the score. As I mentioned before, how can you correct mistakes, and improve, if you can't get a straight answer about your weaknesses. They seem to have followed the proper channels, and still no bueno. I may not have gone their route, but I can see how the lack of transparency can get old over the years.

I truly believe that the lack of transparency will really hurt the industry and situations like this are only the tip of the iceberg. It needs to be addressed. All aspects of scores should be released on the day that they compete. It is ridiculous that we stand for it and some gym owners do too. It will never be a true sport until we have scores.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really hope that doesn't happen. I just don't see that benefiting the sport in the long run.
im not on the olympic train like most people, i get people really want it due to possible funding/money and just being recognized, but becoming an olympic sport also means a lot of changes that i want to imagine in the long run gym owners, coaches, parents, and kids wont like.

i have a question: at 2 day events, is it the same panel of judges for day 1 and day 2, or one set of judges day 1 and new set of judges day 2?..

I think it’s the same panel for both days...???? Who am I kidding I don’t even know anymore. lol when I coached I only did one day events and local... (rec coach before new rec rules at least for my state) so it was usually just 3 judges. Sometimes 4 but usually 3.... and they each scored the entire routine... I remember getting score sheet from each one with notes etc....

Sorry can’t answer that for u :-(
But agree with the lack of transparency affecting scores and just the sport in general....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get the score frustration and all but it happens all the time... scoring and deductions are both issues... I have seen teams win jackets after having very visible errors or even legalities that should have been deductions but were never given, I have seen teams with practically the same routine perform and hit zero but the scores are just polar opposites...

i have a question: at 2 day events, is it the same panel of judges for day 1 and day 2, or one set of judges day 1 and new set of judges day 2?

i ask because then unfortunately comparative scoring will always be an issue... and with multiple judges on a panel its also an issue cause judge jane smith may say the dance is creative and score a 9.9 but john doe didn't think so and gave an 8.9... etc in my head this is how i picture it... or is it like 5 judges and each judge is responsible for just one element of the rubric? i never thought about it this way....

lastly scoring is an even bigger issue because of the LACK OF TRANSPARENCY...

The same judges normally judge day 1 and day 2

I truly believe that the lack of transparency will really hurt the industry and situations like this are only the tip of the iceberg. It needs to be addressed. All aspects of scores should be released on the day that they compete. It is ridiculous that we stand for it and some gym owners do too. It will never be a true sport until we have scores.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If all gym owners shared scores for all levels it would help greatly. However after being around cheer for 10+ years, I believe there are many gym owners who don't want those shared as much as the event producers. If your kid is on a team that gets 6th place at every comp, its easier for the coach to just say the judges are screwing us. What happens if the scores get released and you could see you had a chance to improve in areas but never worked on them in practice? Or, are the coaches afraid to say to parents, we are in the wrong level and if we stay here we will not be competitive based on the feedback from judges. Coaches/Gyms benefit from the scores not being released in many cases, whats their incentive to release them?
Until parents start demanding scoresheets from their gyms, I don't see this ever changing.

I really hope that doesn't happen. I just don't see that benefiting the sport in the long run.
That was never the goal by those behind the Olympic push. It's dollars for private business.
More people doing cheerleading means more people needing uniforms, shoes, gear, coaching, and local competitions

My initial takeaways from this:

1. I'm pretty surprised by how high their score was with only ONE basket thrown in the routine. Should what basically amounts to choreography really account for that much of your score?

and

2. I can't help but feel a little bad for CJA here. Even though the PRO coaches have praised them and stated this was a protest against the system itself, it still makes them look like "the bad guys". The got the win, but it feels tainted in a way.

1. I'm pretty surprised by how high their score was with only ONE basket thrown in the routine. Should what basically amounts to choreography really account for that much of your score?

and

2. I can't help but feel a little bad for CJA here. Even though the PRO coaches have praised them and stated this was a protest against the system itself, it still makes them look like "the bad guys". The got the win, but it feels tainted in a way.
The minimum scores for most sections are 3 points (some 2, 3.5, or 4), not really anywhere you can score a 0. So they probably got those minimum scores on everything. Not just the routine/choreo points.

The minimum scores for most sections are 3 points (some 2, 3.5, or 4), not really anywhere you can score a 0. So they probably got those minimum scores on everything. Not just the routine/choreo points.

They actually got a fair number of 0s, but they got good technique scores in areas where they did something.
29571421_10156352881738993_4220983629120809393_n.jpg

and

I feel bad for CJA as well, especially because people (not necessarily people associated with GI Pros) have brought up the "big/well-known gyms/teams are scored better" argument in regards to the protest, which makes it sound like CJA didn't earn their score.

Back