All-Star Going Full Out

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
I know this has probably been done before..

But I was wondering, on average, how many times does your team go full out at practice.
How far before a competition do you start going full out again? (a week? what?)

We go full out about 15 time per practice maybe even more...even if we dont have comp. coming up!

I'm not really sure, sometimes we run through with all stunts and sometimes with all tumbling but mostly going full out depends on if you hit the first one or 2 times.

I'll usually have a couple run throughs with just stunts, some with just tumbling and then a couple full outs. Anything new in the routine and jumps always go.

Different #s for different levels and teams.
The mini 2's could go 100 times....lol

Our level 4's and 5's usually do a tumbling warm up, a stunt run through, a tumbling run through and 3 full routines.

Maybe 4-6. Depending if we hit or not. We usually do 2 times with tranzitions and stunts and run full out the remainder of the time.

I try to get in 3-5 at a regular practice (not pre-competition)... If it's the last 1 or 2 practices before competition, I have them do 1 to start off with and evaluate from there. For instance, if the pyramid crapped the bed, and tosses were ugly, I would spend 5-10min working those elements and then have them run it with just those two elements. (we never mark jumps or dance/motions) Sometimes I will say, no running tumbling or only running tumbling or whatever needs fixing.

We will usually spend 2 hours doing piecemeal runthroughs- Ill give them a few minutes in between or spend time on whatever needs time, and then run it again. Out of the whole 2 hours, I probably only get about 5 that are completely fullout. I always ask for one fullout before they leave, and sometimes they're just so tired by then that I wont ask for it again if it doesn't go perfectly. I'll just run the sequences that didnt hit individually and send them home.

In general, I try not to make changes the week of a competition. I just like to use that week as fullout conditioning and cleaning.... This is why I prefer to have at least one weekend off between competitions, so we can determine what changes need to be made and have a whole week to practice them... unfortunately, my gym owner loves to schedule 2-3 weekends in a row at times, so it gets hard to progress the routine properly imo... I'm left with 2 practices to make 3 weeks worth of changes, and it's overkill at times, so I don't get to make the necessary changes... but, I digress...

To answer the question, 3-5 FULLOUTS and twice as many runthroughs doing just pieces:)

I try to get in 3-5 at a regular practice (not pre-competition)... If it's the last 1 or 2 practices before competition, I have them do 1 to start off with and evaluate from there. For instance, if the pyramid crapped the bed, and tosses were ugly, I would spend 5-10min working those elements and then have them run it with just those two elements. (we never mark jumps or dance/motions) Sometimes I will say, no running tumbling or only running tumbling or whatever needs fixing.

We will usually spend 2 hours doing piecemeal runthroughs- Ill give them a few minutes in between or spend time on whatever needs time, and then run it again. Out of the whole 2 hours, I probably only get about 5 that are completely fullout. I always ask for one fullout before they leave, and sometimes they're just so tired by then that I wont ask for it again if it doesn't go perfectly. I'll just run the sequences that didnt hit individually and send them home.

In general, I try not to make changes the week of a competition. I just like to use that week as fullout conditioning and cleaning.... This is why I prefer to have at least one weekend off between competitions, so we can determine what changes need to be made and have a whole week to practice them... unfortunately, my gym owner loves to schedule 2-3 weekends in a row at times, so it gets hard to progress the routine properly imo... I'm left with 2 practices to make 3 weeks worth of changes, and it's overkill at times, so I don't get to make the necessary changes... but, I digress...

To answer the question, 3-5 FULLOUTS and twice as many runthroughs doing just pieces:)

This is exactly how I like to do it! Great minds think alikee!

We usually come in to practice, warm-up ANYTHING that's in the routine. When we're done, we do the routine full-out three times in a rows. We have to run two laps around the track for endurance. If something fell during the routine, you must come immediately after your two laps and do a stunt/pyramid that fell, take a one-minute break and repeat the process. On the final full-out, everything that falls counts as 25 up-downs, including the two laps.

We're not an all-star team, we're a HS Squad.

We usually come in to practice, warm-up ANYTHING that's in the routine. When we're done, we do the routine full-out three times in a rows. We have to run two laps around the track for endurance. If something fell during the routine, you must come immediately after your two laps and do a stunt/pyramid that fell, take a one-minute break and repeat the process. On the final full-out, everything that falls counts as 25 up-downs, including the two laps.

We're not an all-star team, we're a HS Squad.

That's a good way to condition, sounds like my college team, although yours is much safer... we would do a circuit of 5 fullout runthroughs and in between we would not get a break, we would immediately hit the ending pyramid, cradle, run for 2:30 and set it up again from the beginning with NO BREAK. The next time through, we would jump rope 2:30 in between... and set it up again. Once we got to 5, you had a 2 minute water break and started the circuit all over again- and that's with fullout tumbling on a hard floor, for an ENTIRE 3 hour practice!

I felt really hardcore at the time, but now that I've been coaching for so long, I think it's really dangerous. People would be puking or getting hurt, and forced to push through. Pushing through injuries is ok to an extent, but A) it did us more harm than good, because our whole team was very injured all season and B) it kind of warped my reality of what is an acceptable way to handle injuries. It took me quite some time to realize the fact that that was abnormal... in my opinion, it was VERY excessive.

Once. Twice if it was bad. The rest of the time it is modified full outs (usually no tumbling). Starts 1-1 1/2 weeks before comp, and stays through the season (exception is right after Christmas break or spring break where they will ease them back into it safely).

Back