All-Star Going To A Gymnastics Gym For Tumbling?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 5, 2010
Has anyone ever done it and if so does it help/work? I want to get better at tumbling and i want to go to a gym near my house and maybe get diffrent approaches to my tumbling that my gym doesnt do to get better.
smile.png

When my cp started all-stars she took privates at a gymnastics facility. The instructor was very strict(which I am thankful for) if my cp used bad technique then she would make her condition, the instructor did not believe in moving on to new skills unless the ones before that were perfect. I definitely recommend you going their it will definitely improve your technique if nothing else.

At My gym we don't allow athletes to take tumble classes from other programs. If the want a gymnastics coach they can stay in our program. We have a full child activities center gymnastics, cheer, preschool, daycare, a kids play place, developmental gymnastics, swim, and a rock gym. So its a conflict of interest if you go somewhere else and what does it say about your trust of your coaching staff?

Depends. What level are you? I went when I was a level 4 and 5 tumbler, but it didn't help me. It didn't hurt me at all, it just didn't help me progress. However, if you're working on your backhandspring, I've seen girls learn and progress very well for level 1 and 2 tumbling. But when some girls come to my tumbling classes from gymnastics classes (who are working on back tucks), it didn't help. For some reason, gymnastics' approach to standing tucks don't seem to help much in cheerleading.

It helped me so much! Especially just to get a little extra practice in during the week. I'd definitely recommend it.

At My gym we don't allow athletes to take tumble classes from other programs. If the want a gymnastics coach they can stay in our program. We have a full child activities center gymnastics, cheer, preschool, daycare, a kids play place, developmental gymnastics, swim, and a rock gym. So its a conflict of interest if you go somewhere else and what does it say about your trust of your coaching staff?

It says nothing about "your trust of your coaching staff" some athletes just do better with other coaches. No coach is perfect and I am sure your entire staff is not perfect. I recommend my kids to always get another opinion on a skill or technique, whether it be from another coach inside our gym or from another facility. I have had a few occasions where I had to recommend a kid to stop taking lessons at another gym because they were teaching "unsafe" technique. But for the most part I like for kids to hear all different techniques and pull together what works for that child! You might be able to coach a skill but until you can coach a kid you are not a good coach.

Depends. What level are you? I went when I was a level 4 and 5 tumbler, but it didn't help me. It didn't hurt me at all, it just didn't help me progress. However, if you're working on your backhandspring, I've seen girls learn and progress very well for level 1 and 2 tumbling. But when some girls come to my tumbling classes from gymnastics classes (who are working on back tucks), it didn't help. For some reason, gymnastics' approach to standing tucks don't seem to help much in cheerleading.

Gymnasts for the most part do not work standing tumbling or atleast until they get to the higher levels which require standing tumbling on beam... ie bhs, tucks, arabians, and standing fulls. And at that time, the gymnasts is normally so strong any technique they use will get them over!

i started out as a gymnast and i did it basically my whole life. i highly recommend going to a very good gymnastics gym to improve your tumbling. they can help you get arabians,front tumbling and anything else.

I started out as a gymnast and I still go tumble at my old gym. Gymnastics places are great gyms to tumble in, sometimes better than cheer gyms.

I started off tumbling at a gymnastics gym from the start (I did cheer for my town and never switched to allstar coaches for tumbling until this year) and it helped me a lot with technique. I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but from the second I got my backhand spring it was clean and neat, and I've never had any problems with it. And, my tumbling was so powerful that I threw my running tuck for the first time by myself after not being spotted in almost a year.

I would definitely recommend going to the gymnastics gym for tumbling.

Perfection before progression. No matter where you go or how you learn technique, stick to this...

From my experience, All-star gyms tend to not focus on technique they more focus on getting the skill. To where gymnastic gyms focus mainly on technique. If you want to learn a skill fast but with not as good of technique i recommend a all-star gym. If you want to take time and learn perfect technique I recommend a gymnastic gym. As a high school coach I do not allow my athletes to go to an all-star gym because of these reasons. I would rather my athletes learn perfect technique even if it means slower development.

You would think that I would jump all over this and say, "For the best tumbling progression, go to a gymnastics gym." A more crisp response is, "For the best tumbling progression, seek a gym that understands and adheres to tumbling progressions ... and has coaches that are stronger willed than parents."

Can I have an "Amen?"

Back