OT Good Book Ideas?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Feb 24, 2010
Any of you fiercers like to read? I'm looking for some recommendations for books, because its almost Christmas break for us college kids and I'll actually have time to read things other than textbooks! So if you've read anything good recently please post (doesn't matter what genre, I'm pretty open as long as the book is a page turner).

For the past couple of years, I've already read:
-Harry Potter series
-Twilight series
- Hunger Games trilogy
- The Maze runner & sequel
- I Am Number 4
- Clockwork Angel
- The Last Song

my recent favorites

freakonomics
superfreakonomics
columbine
sway- the irresistable pull of irrational behavior by ori brafman and rom brafman

and i'm getting ready to read
running with scissors
at least in the city someone would hear me scream by wade rouse

yes, i like nonfiction. :)

The Hunger Games trilogy is by far my favorite series (can't wait til they finish the movie!). I loved the Maze Runner as well, is The Scorch Trials any good? But these are some of the books that I've enjoyed over the years:
-Little Brother by Corey Doctorow (Second favorite book)
-The Alex Rider Series by Anthony Horowitz (There are 8 books thus far, it's not done yet.)
-Unwind and Full Tilt by Neal Shulsterman
-Deadline by Chris Crutcher
-Streams of Babel by Carol Plum-Ucci
-After by Francine Prose
-Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
-Whatever Happened to Cass McBride? by Gail Jiles

The next ones I plan on reading are:
-Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083 by Andrea White (sounds kinda like The Hunger Games)
-Lessons from a Dead Girl by Jo Knowles
-The Rules of Survival by Nancy Werlin
-The Hunt For the Seventh by Christine Morton Shaw
-Memory Boy by Will Weaver
-Pretty much anything by Carol Plum-Ucci

a really good series is the house of night books!!! i read harry potter and thought that i would never find anything to even come close to being as good and when i read this series i was impressed!!! there are 8 books so far and a few more to come out but you should check them out, they are really good!!!

The Scorch Trials any good?
Lots of action, not a lot of explanations. I still loved it and couldn't put it down, but I guess they're saving answering all of the "what the heck is really going on?!" backstory about Wicked and such for the final book. If you do choose to read it, prepare to be agonized for waiting until next October for the last book.....*sigh* stupid cliffhangers

I'm currently reading Kardashian Konfidential (Autobiography of the Kardashain sisters) It's pretty good so far, if you are a fan of theirs.

The Vampire Diaries series by L.J. Smith
Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging series by Louise Rennison

Books I've bought but haven't read yet:
Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Wings by Aprilynne Pike

I've heard 13 Reasons Why is amazing! I bought it but haven't started yet. I'm also starting If I Stay.

house rules- jodi picoult (any of her books are amazing <333 )
the time travlers wife- probably one of my favorites
the lovely bones

PERCY JACKSON AND THE OLYMPIANS SERIES!!! (Its nothing like the movie!!!) My favorite book series of all time aside from Harry Potter that is :)

The Chelsea Handler books (they are easy reads but super funny)
The Millenium Series: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest (all amazing books, fiction but if you research the author some parts could be nonfiction)
George Orwell 1984 (just love the book so much)
Any books by Augusten Burroughs (Running With Scissors is his most well known)
Sarah's Key
Alice Sebold's books (most people have read The Lovely Bones, but Lucky and The Almost Moon are really good too)

Also, the Red Pyramid its the first in the series called the Kane Chronicles..This series was written by the same author as the Percy Jackson series! Its also amazing!!!

Back