All-Star Gym Rules

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 25, 2010
What do you think are some of the most important rules for a gym to have?

Some of mine are;
No negativity
Respect others
and no cell phones during practice!

No parents allowed
No gum chewing
No jewelry
Hair pulled back
No cursing
Appropriately dressed (no jeans or non-cheer shoes)
No giving corrections unless you're a coach
No spotting tumbling unless you're a coach
No blaming each other for mistakes
No missing practice for lame reasons
No talking while the coach/instructor is talking
Early is on time, On time is late, Late is unacceptable.

Also, don't wear your outside shoes onto the floor. In this economy, you want to make the equipment last!
There are millions more where that came from lol :)

I coach a high school team and no cell phone during practice is a BIG one with our group of 13-18 year old girls. If we catch them on their phones during a break they have to run, or if they forget to silence it and it rings we get to either answer it or read the text.

at my gym you can come in and work whenever you want... so one of the big rules is no walking across rod floor or tumble track. no matter what everyone always has to walk around.
also no gum, or outside shoes in the gym area, or jewelry
and the basics like respect, being on time, and work hard.

wear a bow to every practice, if someone forgets one or it falls out during he routine.. we all have to run :)

I agree with all of the rules given above except one, why no parents? I do understand parents may be a bit difficult to deal with at times and yes we can be a bit intrusive and opinionated but we do love to watch our kids excel, learn and enjoy what they love. Our gyms have wonderful parent viewing areas which are filled every practice with amazing parents who just want to be a part of what their kids enjoy. There are rules, which we all know and abide by. Those who do not follow the rules are quickly reminded of them by those of us who do not want to lose the priveledge of being able to sit and watch. Our owners and coaches are amazing people, they do put up with alot and in return we do all we can to not get in their way and/or interfere with their training.

I agree with all of the rules given above except one, why no parents? I do understand parents may be a bit difficult to deal with at times and yes we can be a bit intrusive and opinionated but we do love to watch our kids excel, learn and enjoy what they love. Our gyms have wonderful parent viewing areas which are filled every practice with amazing parents who just want to be a part of what their kids enjoy. There are rules, which we all know and abide by. Those who do not follow the rules are quickly reminded of them by those of us who do not want to lose the priveledge of being able to sit and watch. Our owners and coaches are amazing people, they do put up with alot and in return we do all we can to not get in their way and/or interfere with their training.

I think we should have the no parents rule at our gym sometimes... our coaching staff has had to talk to our parents on a few occasions about talking badly or talking gossip about other kids on the team or other teams from our gym. Needless to say it still hasn't stopped and probably will continue. But hey if it's not drama within the team the drama has to come from somewhere. Just sad to see it happening.

No eating or snacking around the floor! I coached with a gym for one year a long time ago and at every senior practice this one girl (the head coaches very pampered pet) would be stuffing her face while we were stretching. Needless to say, I was outta there when the season was up!

(and the head coach would often leave me in charge while he brought her to get something to eat!!)

We're allowed to watch practices, but we know the coaches have the right to close practices to parents if they can't behave and/or are causing problems for the kids during practice.

It hasn't happened since I've been there (yet)...but it still remains a possibility if parents become a problem. I love watching practices and fortunately have gotten to attend all of them.

I agree with all of the rules given above except one, why no parents?
I think when there is a specific parent viewing room its ok, but if not NO PARENTS! Even then there are always those few that ruin it for the rest. The ones who can't stand but to not start drama. Some parents feel the need to make snarky comments about other peoples kids while they sit a row in front of their parents. This past year we had one mom who on every water break would come out of the room to meet her daughter by the fountain and lay into her for whatever she's not doing correctly. This girl STRUGGLED the entire first half of the year, mostly because she was terrified of messing up. She was struggling to even do a backhandspring when she was working fulls. Mom gave birth around October and stopped coming to practices because of the baby. It was night and day with the child. Her tumbling block went away and she excelled. I have a ton of other bad parent stories as well, its not just one occasion! I know its unfortunate for the rest because there are a lot of great parents that only have good intentions but the bad ones ruin it so I say - No Parents at Practice!

at our gym, we have all closed practices except for the first practice of every month.
that way out parents can still watch and know what's going on, and when the practices are closed they all bond and go out together!

Being able to see what goes on is helpful when your cp leaves practice upset/fustrated. It makes that dramatic line easier to read with them and see if we agree or are over the top so we can diffuse the situation. And if its a great day, its even better to see our money is being used wisely.

Back