All-Star Gym Rules

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I coach a high school team and no cell phone during practice is a BIG one with our group of 13-18 year old girls. If we catch them on their phones during a break they have to run, or if they forget to silence it and it rings we get to either answer it or read the text.

My daughters High School is basically the same. At camp they have to turn their cell phones in to the coach and she will allow them to use it for maybe 15 minutes at the end of the night before they go to bed. If they lie and say they don't have their phone and get caught then they have to run 50 laps the first time. There was a girl who got caught 2 years in a row, and the second year she had to run 100 laps :) It's torture for them not having a phone but they sure focus during camp and practices alot better!

As far as rules we are not allowed to watch High School practices EVER! It was hard at first but I got use to it. All-Stars we have a parent viewing area downstairs that has a window that we can see the kids through but they can't see us because it's a mirror on their side. I love this because it keeps the kids focused on what they are there for. They have an upstairs viewing area that has no window but that room is only opened the last week of the month and you better NOT call out to your child or try to "coach" or they will put you out :) No cell phones on the floor should ALWAYS apply to the coaches as well. It is very frustrating for a parent to see a coach on their cell phone while they are suppose to be providing instruction (no this does not occur at our current gym). I have a ton of rules I agree with but many have already been said :)

I agree with all of the rules given above except one, why no parents? I do understand parents may be a bit difficult to deal with at times and yes we can be a bit intrusive and opinionated but we do love to watch our kids excel, learn and enjoy what they love. Our gyms have wonderful parent viewing areas which are filled every practice with amazing parents who just want to be a part of what their kids enjoy. There are rules, which we all know and abide by. Those who do not follow the rules are quickly reminded of them by those of us who do not want to lose the priveledge of being able to sit and watch. Our owners and coaches are amazing people, they do put up with alot and in return we do all we can to not get in their way and/or interfere with their training.

No parents, as in No parents physically IN the practice area... viewing area is fine:) My old gym had cameras on the floors that were too far away to see from the viewing area, so you could watch on the TV in the room!

No parents, as in No parents physically IN the practice area... viewing area is fine:) My old gym had cameras on the floors that were too far away to see from the viewing area, so you could watch on the TV in the room!

Hahahahaha! I'm so glad you clarified this because I sure was sitting here carefully crafting my retort that I spend upwards of $12,000/year on my 2 cp' s cheering (including travel, clothes, etc)) and drive an hour and a half each way...um, I'm staying once we get there. But absolutely in the viewing area. There are parents that go into the GYM itself??? You've got to be kidding. I would NEVER even dream of doing that!

I've collected cell phones from my team and they all have to put in in a bucket. They are NOT allowed to touch the bucket until the end of practice, when and only when I allow them to get their phones. They have no excuse to use their phones or have them on while in practice. All of their parents have my and my co-coaches cell phone #'s in case of an emergency. So there really is no reason why the girls need to have their phones. If they get caught hiding their phone, they have to run laps. If the phone is not turned off or silent in the bucket, they have to run. It's about RESPECT and following the rules. Practice is only 2-3 hrs a few times a week. They are not going to DIE if they don't answer a text or bbm.

As for the No Parents rule. I agree that parents should not be allowed in the practices. A seperate parents viewing area is ok, but with limitations. If parents become disruptive or a negative influence on the athletes or other parents then they should have their priviledges revoked. Like having a curtain in the window of the viewing area. Anytime a parent "acts up" the curtain is drawn and then they can't see anything. And post a sign in the window reminding them that its about the kids and negitivity will not be tollerated. I am a strong believer that even if the child is the best athlete on the face of the earth and the parent is a complete pain in the neck, unfortunatly the child has to go. I always warn my parents at the beginning of the season that if their behavior becomes disruptive to the program/team and it can not be resolved, their child will be removed from the team. Having one rotten apple in your program brings more headaches and problems than its worth. And it spreads throughout, which is something you do not want.

I allow my kids parents to stay and watch. They can't coach from where they are though and if they try I call them out and say "I got it Sally, thanks!".
I just think they really need to see the work we put in and also be educated about what we are doing. They're paying for all of it!

We have a parent viewing area but ALL practices are closed the week of a competition for focus purposes.

Our gym has cameras as well. Great concept however if your kids isn't on the main two floors you won't be able to see very well.
Hahahahaha! I'm so glad you clarified this because I sure was sitting here carefully crafting my retort that I spend upwards of $12,000/year on my 2 cp' s cheering (including travel, clothes, etc)) and drive an hour and a half each way...um, I'm staying once we get there. But absolutely in the viewing area. There are parents that go into the GYM itself??? You've got to be kidding. I would NEVER even dream of doing that!
Yes! I was running a little late one day and came in find a mother sitting at the front of the floor against a wall just watching them stretch and drinking her coffee. None of the other coaches had even said anything to her.

wear a bow to every practice, if someone forgets one or it falls out during he routine.. we all have to run :)
we never have to wear bows but i know some gyms enforce bows every day. can someone explain this to me? why would a gym require it?

we never have to wear bows but i know some gyms enforce bows every day. can someone explain this to me? why would a gym require it?
Well, you gotta compete in one, so sometimes it helps to wear them to practice so it doesn't feel as weird when you're competing.

I require a bow every day. Ultimately I think a lot of its personal preference. I think a lot of it is about being ready and in uniform. For competition you put on a uniform, hair, make up, bow etc. Its part of what makes you feel ready and in competition mode. I think having on specific practice wear items - bow included - helps focus the kids and make them ready for practice. Obviously they will do just as good with or without a bow in their hair, but I prefer it so they do it.

I require a bow every day. Ultimately I think a lot of its personal preference. I think a lot of it is about being ready and in uniform. For competition you put on a uniform, hair, make up, bow etc. Its part of what makes you feel ready and in competition mode. I think having on specific practice wear items - bow included - helps focus the kids and make them ready for practice. Obviously they will do just as good with or without a bow in their hair, but I prefer it so they do it.
Well, you gotta compete in one, so sometimes it helps to wear them to practice so it doesn't feel as weird when you're competing.
oh ok. i wish my coach made us wear bows because i love them, but i would be the only one with a big bow on my head so i don't wear them. do they wear their competition bow, or any bow they want like the ones you can buy at a competition?

oh ok. i wish my coach made us wear bows because i love them, but i would be the only one with a big bow on my head so i don't wear them. do they wear their competition bow, or any bow they want like the ones you can buy at a competition?
Practices the week before competition we wear our hair competition ready (half up half down) and competition bow in so they get used to feeling the bow on top of their head and learn not to fidget with hair in their face. The rest of the year they can pretty much wear any bow they want unless we specify a certain bow for the day. My girls have a ton of bows, some they've gotten through the team, most they've bought or made on their own. I also give bows away throughout the year as prizes for doing well, getting new skills, earning the most in a fundraiser, etc.

I say if you want to wear a bow wear one! Don't be worried what your other team mates will say because they don't. Who knows you may start a trend. There just may be other girls that would start wearing bows too if they don't have to be the only one that does it!

My daughters High School is basically the same. At camp they have to turn their cell phones in to the coach and she will allow them to use it for maybe 15 minutes at the end of the night before they go to bed. If they lie and say they don't have their phone and get caught then they have to run 50 laps the first time. There was a girl who got caught 2 years in a row, and the second year she had to run 100 laps :) It's torture for them not having a phone but they sure focus during camp and practices alot better!

As far as rules we are not allowed to watch High School practices EVER! It was hard at first but I got use to it. All-Stars we have a parent viewing area downstairs that has a window that we can see the kids through but they can't see us because it's a mirror on their side. I love this because it keeps the kids focused on what they are there for. They have an upstairs viewing area that has no window but that room is only opened the last week of the month and you better NOT call out to your child or try to "coach" or they will put you out :) No cell phones on the floor should ALWAYS apply to the coaches as well. It is very frustrating for a parent to see a coach on their cell phone while they are suppose to be providing instruction (no this does not occur at our current gym). I have a ton of rules I agree with but many have already been said :)

We did that as well! I came in in the middle of the season this year, so I did not go to camp with them. But the head coach said she look all their cell phones and allowed them to have them for a little bit at night to text/call parents. They complained and moaned and griped about it, but they became SO close after the week was up. After the day was over, they would all shower up and meet in someones room and play bonding games before they went to bed each night.

We also brought a bag to competition and gave the girls a 15, 10, and 5 minute warning on the bus. When the time was up we walked down the center of the bus aisle and collected their phones in a bag. Then when they came to the competition, they were focused and knew what they had to do instead of texting their friends. They got them back after awards.

Not saying all these rules were the reason for their success, but I think it helped. They placed 4 in the state this year, the highest they have ever gotten.

I allow my kids parents to stay and watch. They can't coach from where they are though and if they try I call them out and say "I got it Sally, thanks!".
I just think they really need to see the work we put in and also be educated about what we are doing. They're paying for all of it!

Is Sally Susie's Mom? I met her a few times before...

Back