All-Star Gymnastics Gym To Supplement Tumbling Instruction?????

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Babs

Cheer Parent
Jan 29, 2011
Let me start with: I know nothing about tumbling ...

My cp wants some private lessons to supplement her cheer team tumbling classes. It's difficult to get on the coaches' schedules and I understand it's because they already have very full evenings.

Some of the prettiest cheer tumbling I've seen is from athletes who were previously gymnasts. Would it make sense for me to see if I can find a gymnastics gym and try to schedule some privates there?

(Yes, I realize they will probably have the same time issues, but would like to know if I should try.)

Thanks!

I absolutely think you should, BUT, just a heads up, the reason MOST gymnasts tumbling is so pretty is that they spend 10+ hrs a week in a gym and their progression and conditioning time is much different. I truly wish EVERY parent would take their child into a QUALITY gymnastics gym just to see the difference. I just want you to be aware before you go to a gymnastics gym is that things are gonna be different. I'm not saying cheer does it wrong or gymnastics does it wrong, I'm just saying be prepared for a slightly if not more than slightly different approach.

I absolutely think you should, BUT, just a heads up, the reason MOST gymnasts tumbling is so pretty is that they spend 10+ hrs a week in a gym and their progression and conditioning time is much different. I truly wish EVERY parent would take their child into a QUALITY gymnastics gym just to see the difference. I just want you to be aware before you go to a gymnastics gym is that things are gonna be different. I'm not saying cheer does it wrong or gymnastics does it wrong, I'm just saying be prepared for a slightly if not more than slightly different approach.

Thanks! I'm on the south side of Atlanta and you're an Atlanta Brave (avatar). Do you have a suggested gym for me????

You are doing privates at a gymnastics gym? How did you go about finding the best gym/coach?

We were referred by a friend from another gym. When we got there we were surpried to see other kids from our program. Are you in the ATL area?

We tried it when my CP was look to work on her BHS last year. She was young so she had a hard time with the different techniques taught for the same skill. Right now we just stick with cheer tumbling.

I have taken my cp to gymnastics gyms for instruction over the years. If I had it to do again I would have had her in gymnastics along with cheer from the start. Some of her bad habits may never have happened. It is a different approach but I find they usually realize she doesn't fit into a regular gymnastics class. Her time there is like an open gym/private type atmosphere where every coach there watches and gives input.. What I like is that they usually instruct and tumble her with no attachment to her cheer level, routine or team if that makes sense. They still don't get it allstars but they tell me over and over how they love her intensity and work ethic. I think they also like working the doubles and other elite skills that you just don't see yet from other gymnasts in the program because of the progresions in place.

Let me start with: I know nothing about tumbling ...

My cp wants some private lessons to supplement her cheer team tumbling classes. It's difficult to get on the coaches' schedules and I understand it's because they already have very full evenings.

Some of the prettiest cheer tumbling I've seen is from athletes who were previously gymnasts. Would it make sense for me to see if I can find a gymnastics gym and try to schedule some privates there?

(Yes, I realize they will probably have the same time issues, but would like to know if I should try.)

Thanks!

It really depends on the quality of the coaches at your cheer gym and the coaches at the nearby gymnastics gym. I can tell you that while many exgymnasts-turned-cheerleaders have beautiful running tumbling, their standing tumbling is usually lacking. I coach tumbling at a cheerleading gym, but I have also coached tumbling at a gymnastics gym. It is a whole different world in gymnastics. Some techniques they use are not the best for cheerleading.

If you have good tumbling instructors at your gym, I would try to schedule a private with them and stick with cheer tumbling. But obviously, if you can't, then go with the gymnastics option.

Instead of driving an hour to the cheer gym another night of the week, we go to a fairly local gymnastics gym for extra tumbling instruction. The gymnastics coaches spend a lot more time and focus on the beginning of her pass - looking for and correcting 'power leaks' to help clean-up any sloppiness and bad habits that get overlooked in the cheer gym. Also, the gymnastics coaches tend to have a lot more access to various training tools, techniques, and equipment than what we have in the cheer gym.

I love hearing at the gymnastics gym the coach yelling, "We don't do (insert bad habit here) in gymnastics ... leave it in your cheer gym!" My daughter quickly gets it at that point:)

Instead of driving an hour to the cheer gym another night of the week, we go to a fairly local gymnastics gym for extra tumbling instruction. The gymnastics coaches spend a lot more time and focus on the beginning of her pass - looking for and correcting 'power leaks' to help clean-up any sloppiness and bad habits that get overlooked in the cheer gym. Also, the gymnastics coaches tend to have a lot more access to various training tools, techniques, and equipment than what we have in the cheer gym.

I love hearing at the gymnastics gym the coach yelling, "We don't do (insert bad habit here) in gymnastics ... leave it in your cheer gym!" My daughter quickly gets it at that point:)

I can see the look on your daughter's face now. LOL. Priceless

I would definatly go to a gymnastics gym for tumbling! You can work on getting really good form and execution of skills! I did gymnastics for like 7 years and just quit last year. I definatly think it has helped me with cheerleading!

Back