All-Star Gyms Merging In Maryland

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

can't find it right now, but recent news was Fusion hired a coach previously charged with inappropriate behavior with kids...the charge was an old one, until more kids started speaking out.. the owner of fusion was quoted as saying something like, we talked it over, and felt the allegations had no merit....so, basically saying he knew about the charges but hired him anyway. once the new charges were brought up, the coach was dismissed. I may have the details not 100%, but the jist is they knew, they hired him and only after he was accused again, did they dismiss him....

that's crazy, i just found the news article. it says the charges were from 10 years ago and he was acquitted on the charges. we could probably start a whole new thread on instances such as this - but if someone was found to be falsely accused of something like that do you still not hire them? if so, then does that count as descrimination against someone?

personally i think it's horribly scary for a male to work with so many female athletes. for someone who is innocent all it takes is one person to accuse you of something and people start second guessing your intentions and your character. i'm not saying this was the case with this coach as I have no information or don't know him. another question we could all ask ourselves (although i hope we never need to) is if you found that one of your cp's coaches were acquitted on charges such as these from 10 years ago do you believe that the acquittal was right and this person was falsely accused or do you run the other way?

can't find it right now, but recent news was Fusion hired a coach previously charged with inappropriate behavior with kids...the charge was an old one, until more kids started speaking out.. the owner of fusion was quoted as saying something like, we talked it over, and felt the allegations had no merit....so, basically saying he knew about the charges but hired him anyway. once the new charges were brought up, the coach was dismissed. I may have the details not 100%, but the jist is they knew, they hired him and only after he was accused again, did they dismiss him....

Lesson learned. They've already implemented a new screening process, which is the same as what the Frederick County Public Schools use, so it's probably the safest gym around now! Thanks for another bashing though.

Lesson learned. They've already implemented a new screening process, which is the same as what the Frederick County Public Schools use, so it's probably the safest gym around now! Thanks for another bashing though.
I have no vested interest in this situation, I am not in the state of MD, but I don't think it is fair to consider this discussion bashing. I can understand why you take this so personal being affiliated with the gym. You are entitled to support your gym. The members of the forum, however are entitled to share information and/or speculate. If the information is correct and verifiable, there are plenty of people who appreciate some of the FACTS that are being stated. Consumers have a right to know who they are giving their hard earned dollars to.

Some of the information you come across on the boards, you will hate, and some you will be glad you saw. Some will be pure speculation and will give you either a good laugh, or a good cry. You take what you like, and leave what you don't.

No gym is safe. If there is something out there to know, someone will post, and we will all check everytime the thread has activity.

Welcome to the fierceboard. I hope you enjoy it here.

personally i think it's horribly scary for a male to work with so many female athletes. for someone who is innocent all it takes is one person to accuse you of something and people start second guessing your intentions and your character.

This is something I'm constantly reminding young coaches of.

The article you are referring to is here:
The Frederick News-Post Online - Frederick County Maryland Daily Newspaper

I have no vested interest in this situation, I am not in the state of MD, but I don't think it is fair to consider this discussion bashing. I can understand why you take this so personal being affiliated with the gym. You are entitled to support your gym. The members of the forum, however are entitled to share information and/or speculate. If the information is correct and verifiable, there are plenty of people who appreciate some of the FACTS that are being stated. Consumers have a right to know who they are giving their hard earned dollars to.

Some of the information you come across on the boards, you will hate, and some you will be glad you saw. Some will be pure speculation and will give you either a good laugh, or a good cry. You take what you like, and leave what you don't.

No gym is safe. If there is something out there to know, someone will post, and we will all check everytime the thread has activity.

Welcome to the fierceboard. I hope you enjoy it here.

kingston uusually has an opinion about speculation vs slander, so watch the slope. It's slippery.

Handling yourself in the court of public opinion can be difficult. Always own up to the mistakes, admit to them, and show how you have righted them. I have noticed continually in my life that if I make a mistake I usually gain credibility for owning up to it instead of getting defensive.

Sometimes I dont' know what to think when stuff like this gets brought up. My Mom has always said "Don't be alone with any of the girls when you're coaching". It's silly, because I'm clearly a man fan-but all it takes is that one girl (or boy, I guess) to make something up, and you can get completely screwed for it.

that's crazy, i just found the news article. it says the charges were from 10 years ago and he was acquitted on the charges. we could probably start a whole new thread on instances such as this - but if someone was found to be falsely accused of something like that do you still not hire them? if so, then does that count as descrimination against someone?

the original charges were from 10 years ago...there were more recent allegations. so 2 times falsely accused 10 years aparts. I'd certainly question it.

Gymnastics coach, acquitted a decade ago, charged with new sex offenses | Richmond Times-Dispatch

the original charges were from 10 years ago...there were more recent allegations. so 2 times falsely accused 10 years aparts. I'd certainly question it.

Gymnastics coach, acquitted a decade ago, charged with new sex offenses | Richmond Times-Dispatch

oh absolutely i agree. however what i was trying to say was that if a coach came to you for employment and 10 years ago they were acquitted on allegations of inappropriate conduct with a child would you not hire them?

as americans we always say "innocent until proven guilty" and apprently in the initial instance he wasn't convicted on the allegations.

hearing there were allegations twice makes you re-think his motives. but i would have to say if someone was found innocent of charges you think that they are falsely accused - therefore hiring them. i don't blame the gym for hiring this coach because again he was acquitted.

however it does make me want to do a case search on all of my cp's coaches ;)

and maybe some psycho parents' little suzy didn't make the team she wanted so they wanted to ruin the coaches life. they searched him and the past allegation came up, so they accused him of doing it again.

I would like to believe the good in people and that this doesn't happen, but sometimes it does.

I get how as a parent it is hard to not be concerned, but also at the same time we had a wonderful PE teacher in our county be accused of touching a child. He was fired and it came out in the end that the elementary child had gotten in trouble with this teacher (who was also in charge of the patrols). The girl got a friend to go with her and made up an entire story. It was 100 % clear in the end that the scenario she presented was not even physically able to happen - I mean clear cut - she even in the end came clean about the whole thing and why she did it. The county did want it needed to do and immediately placed the teacher on suspension, but then as things came together did not support the teacher in a way that really they should have (and that became a suit in it's own). Regardless this man's reputation was trashed all because a child was angry and acted out in a horrible vengeful way. So that does happen, YET STILL as a parent it could be horrifically hard to put your child with an adult who ever even had an allegation. That what if is a hard thing to pass when your talking about your child's safety and innocence - regardless. (But I think the way it was presented on this thread was not very right...and did seem like gym bashing with purpose to hurt that gym)

Be an involved parent, get know your cp's coaches and don't drop your child off and leave during every practice. Your never going to be able to protect your child from every situation but being proactive and involved is a good start.

I hope children who have been or are being abused are not reading this and thinking "no one will believe me.". Past charges and recent charges would leads me to wonder...

I'm not sure if spirit force is merging but what I am certain of is my daughter did not receive a trophy nor did the team have a banquet (or any other end of the season celebration)!!!! But I did receive an e-mail in reference to my child coming back for the 2012-2013 season. Why should I?!?!?!?
wow!

Back