All-Star Headache During Tumbling?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 10, 2011
Sunday, while at practice, I was being spotted for back handsprings. Suddenly, when going back for one of them, my head started really hurting and for the rest of the day it was really bad. I thought that since before that day I hadn't tumbled in almost two weeks, that it was because of that. Then, yesterday while at tumbling, again, the same thing happened only when I started doing my back handsprings. I figured it might've been because I wasn't hydrated so before practice tonight, I ate dinner and drank a lot of water before and during practice, but still the same thing happened. My mon is going to take me to the doctor, but has this happened to anyone else? If so what did you do to help it? It's really starting to effect my tumbling.

My daughter has this happen when it is hot out and she has been going nonstop. We find that the gatorade prime and perform are a good combo. She drinks the little packet on the way to practice and continues with the gatorade perform during practice. She also snacks on watermelon or strawberries at break. You need to make sure you hydrate DAYS before practice, not just the day of. It takes time for your body to maintain a healthy hydration balance and hydrating only the day of isn't enough. Good Luck.

My daughter has this happen when it is hot out and she has been going nonstop. We find that the gatorade prime and perform are a good combo. She drinks the little packet on the way to practice and continues with the gatorade perform during practice. She also snacks on watermelon or strawberries at break. You need to make sure you hydrate DAYS before practice, not just the day of. It takes time for your body to maintain a healthy hydration balance and hydrating only the day of isn't enough. Good Luck.
Thank you! :)

Could be dehydration. You need to drink not just in the hours leading up to the activity, but for a full 48 hours prior to the activity. Your eating, sleeping and drinking 48 hours before are what affects your performance.

Do you hold your breath when you tumble? That could be it also.
Thank you! I used to hold my breath without knowing it, and at my old gym they got me to stop doing that. Since moving gyms, I might've started the habit again without noticing. Next time I tumble, I will make sure not to hold my breath.

when i first started learning my backhandspring 7 years ago the same thing was happening to me. Throwing the same skill for a long period of time and being a little new at it is why i was getting head aches. Your body is just not used to tumbling so it hurts your head. Eventually when i acutally got my back handspring on floor i no longer got any head aches. and to this day i dont get head aches in any tumbling like standing tucks, bhs tucks, layouts, etc. Im sure it will pass

Also, for anyone who had problems with holding your breath while you tumbled, how'd you teach yourself to stop holding your breath?

If you're practicing a routine, make sure to breathe when you aren't tumbling. Also, instead of gatorade, try to find water that's called "real water" and if you can't find that, at least go with "smartwater." Gatorade just has too much sugar in it which can also contribute to head aches, so dilute it with water. Hope it gets better, let us know what the doctor says : ) Hope you're not getting migraines, those are miserable.

Hey guys! So, as time went on, I ended up getting sick, and they thought it was a Sinus Infection. I went to the doctors today and found out I have TMJ, which the doctor said is something normal he's seen in gymnasts and tumblers, and that I also have allergies.

Back