High School Help Us Pick A New Mascot!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 18, 2015
So, someone a bit back had started a thread on California banning the "Redskin" mascot name. IT's a done deal, we are changing it...and making final suggestions Monday for the official change. I tried to find that thread because there were some awesome suggestions, but for the life of me couldn't find it. If we could not get into the whole debate about if it should or should not be changed...I would appreciate it because the real problem for us right now is WHAT to change it to.... I am part of the committee for the name change and we need something good. We are also changing this with he help of our local tribes who do not want any specific tribe names to be included in the name of the mascot as that is understandably the name of THEIR tribe and THEIR identity. Here is some background on the school/Town to help get the wheels turning:

Tulare Union pronounced (too-lary)
California
Colors: RED, Gold, White (black accent)
Rich native american history
Town known for growing based on its railroad development
Now a Huge agriculture town (mainly dairy) (home of world ag expo, largest in nation)
2 hours from beach
2 hours from Yosemite
Smack dab in middle of Central California
Rival Schools: Western Mustangs, Mission Oak Hawks

Any help with names would be great!

So, someone a bit back had started a thread on California banning the "Redskin" mascot name. IT's a done deal, we are changing it...and making final suggestions Monday for the official change. I tried to find that thread because there were some awesome suggestions, but for the life of me couldn't find it. If we could not get into the whole debate about if it should or should not be changed...I would appreciate it because the real problem for us right now is WHAT to change it to.... I am part of the committee for the name change and we need something good. We are also changing this with he help of our local tribes who do not want any specific tribe names to be included in the name of the mascot as that is understandably the name of THEIR tribe and THEIR identity. Here is some background on the school/Town to help get the wheels turning:

California
Now a Huge agriculture town (mainly dairy) (home of world ag expo, largest in nation)
2 hours from beach
2 hours from Yosemite

Doubt this would be popular but with the colors and the California Gold Rush around there, Tulare Union Miners?

Doubt this would be popular but with the colors and the California Gold Rush around there, Tulare Union Miners?
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have that as our mascot but the town right next to us...has a high school thats the Miners =(
I should probably let everyone know, the town thats connected to ours:
they have:
Miners
Rangers
Trailblazers
Pioneers
Grizzlies
Gophers
Warriors

Well upon using Google to search agriculture mascots and railroad mascots for sports teams I got Railriders and Aggies

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have that as our mascot but the town right next to us...has a high school thats the Miners =(
I should probably let everyone know, the town thats connected to ours:
they have:
Miners
Rangers
Trailblazers
Pioneers
Grizzlies
Gophers
Warriors

Gophers? Why? lol

I guess Milk Maidens wouldn't be very good...

Around here we have Bulldogs, Scorpions, Cougars, Yellowjackets, Raiders, Highlanders, Royals.

Here's a link to railroad mascots:

Sports Teams with Railroad-Inspired Names, Logos & Mascots

California
2 hours from beach
2 hours from Yosemite

Go to my profile page, click 'posts by Official OWECheer', then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click 'find all threads by Official OWECheer'. It'll be on that list.

Didn't you mention that there is a Native legend in your area about a bear (or some other mascot), and we suggested that as a mascot?

Warriors and miners were my first thoughts... But clearly those are taken!!

Other ideas:
Bears (very California to have a bear!)
Tigers
Outlaws
Trojans
Eagles (or golden eagles since gold is a color of yours)
Snakes/vipers/rattlers
Cowboys
Jaguars
Sharks
Rushers (is that even a word? Lol kind of like it though, as in gold rushers)
Bison
RedHawks
Wildcats/bobcats
Coyote
Wolves
Matadors
Falcons
Spartans
Vikings
Lions
Titans
Crusaders

Coming from a cheer coach perspective, if I ever got to pick a mascot, I would chose something with 6 letters. Uniforms charge by the letter, so I'd avoid too long of words. Jackets or zippered items split the word in half, so even letters make my ocd happier! Of course that's a little selfish. I know the schools mascot doesn't revolve around cheer, but if you get a vote it's something to keep in mind!

Warriors and miners were my first thoughts... But clearly those are taken!!

Other ideas:
Bears (very California to have a bear!)
Tigers
Outlaws
Trojans
Eagles (or golden eagles since gold is a color of yours)
Snakes/vipers/rattlers
Cowboys
Jaguars
Sharks
Rushers (is that even a word? Lol kind of like it though, as in gold rushers)
Bison
RedHawks
Wildcats/bobcats
Coyote
Wolves
Matadors
Falcons
Spartans
Vikings
Lions
Titans
Crusaders

Coming from a cheer coach perspective, if I ever got to pick a mascot, I would chose something with 6 letters. Uniforms charge by the letter, so I'd avoid too long of words. Jackets or zippered items split the word in half, so even letters make my ocd happier! Of course that's a little selfish. I know the schools mascot doesn't revolve around cheer, but if you get a vote it's something to keep in mind!

Everyone knows, Everything revolves around cheer...

Back