All-Star High School Coach Has Problems With Allstar

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I had the same problem and was forced to quit all star. It was really sad. But my senior year I was able to join an open team which worked out perfectly!

We have kids that do both, and we encourage it, but I won't lie it is extremely frustrating. Like Girlfriend, your parents are paying thousands for you to cheer at an allstar gym. You're paying hundreds to cheer on a mediocre high school team. I don't see the comparison financially.

We have kids that do both, and we encourage it, but I won't lie it is extremely frustrating. Like Girlfriend, your parents are paying thousands for you to cheer at an allstar gym. You're paying hundreds to cheer on a mediocre high school team. I don't see the comparison financially.
From what I have seen, kids who are able to both and choose to do so do school cheer for the social aspect and all-star for the competitive and skill aspects. If your school team is a truly competitive team, you usually don't feel the need to do all-star as well.

I do not understand why HS cheer is "mediocre".... in some areas, yes, but not all. In our area we have both, but girls will leave AS to cheer for HS because it is very competitive from MS, to JV and Varsity

I do not understand why HS cheer is "mediocre".... in some areas, yes, but not all. In our area we have both, but girls will leave AS to cheer for HS because it is very competitive from MS, to JV and Varsity

There are maybe 2 or 3 competitive teams here. I didn't mean to generalize high school cheer for everyone, but for our area that is the case.

Out on Long Island, it just depends on the school district. Some have very highly competitive teams who consistently place high at UCA, others just do not. Some only have sideline. I think it really depends on the quality of coaching, as well as the support of the athletic director, athletic department, school board and community. My cp's HS has very strong support for danceline and kickline but not cheer. Our town cheer program over the past several years has been extremely strong though, so the JV and Varsity teams are starting to become much better than they have ever been which may in turn force the school and AD to view them differently.

No problem, but for us HS is a very big deal. Check out my babies:

“Bring It On: The Musical" Launches National Tour

The Official Site - Varsity.com - We Are Cheerleading

varsitytv.aspx

I coach both and most kids do high school for the social aspect, regardless of what most say. We are surrounded by competitive high school teams who have won nationals but doing all stars is just a different ball game. To Anwser your question about conflict is that I would try and make sure you contact the all star coach, they are usually more flexible.

sometimes it truly is a conflict of times and not just prejudice from the coaches. There are many allstar gyms near us, but our JV team practices 6-8pm Mon-Fri. This means they cannot cheer on any allstar team because it cuts into practice for every single one of them. The JV team cannot change their practice time because of limited practice space at the High School. I am sure the coaches would love the girls to get additional tumbling and stunting help, but it just won't work out.

My sister's high school team is coached by an all star gym owner. There have yet to be any issues....however she will be late to her all star weekday practice since her all star gym is a solid 30 mins from the all star gym where her high school team practices

Out on Long Island, it just depends on the school district. Some have very highly competitive teams who consistently place high at UCA, others just do not. Some only have sideline. I think it really depends on the quality of coaching, as well as the support of the athletic director, athletic department, school board and community. My cp's HS has very strong support for danceline and kickline but not cheer. Our town cheer program over the past several years has been extremely strong though, so the JV and Varsity teams are starting to become much better than they have ever been which may in turn force the school and AD to view them differently.
Isn't Rocky Point out there on the Island? they are competitive and very good. The won UCA HS Nationals 2 consecutive years 2011 & 2012 in Division II Medium....They are great. Can't wait to see them this year

I do both, and my school coaches really just have to deal with it. Fortunately, last year we got a new coach who has been involved in Allstars (through her daughters) for 12 years, and she usually sticks up for Allstars missing school things. We can't miss school practice for allstar stuff, but they both work around eachother. Since high school cheer is big around here, most girls on my team also cheer for school. And we all practice with our schools at the allstar gym, so they know our schedules. Also, my allstar coaches don't make us tumble at practices the week before Region and State, because a girl broke her arm the week of state once. Ever since, they go easier on us during high school season.

It's a compromise, and it won't work out if both sets of coaches aren't willing to be a little flexible.

The trick is compromise and an appreciation for each others schedule. We have girls who would love to do both, but it's very difficult. Last year, one major all-star competition was the same weekend as HS District competition.

I think kids could do both if the all-star gyms scheduled practices on Sundays and one other day during the week that doesn't have high school practices or games (usually Thursday for us) and worked with the HS competition schedule to ensure they don't attend competitions on the same day as Football or Basketball state tournaments or HS cheer competitions.

Either way, it's a compromise the All-star gym has to make and with so many kids in some areas, why make the compromise if you don't have to.

Back