High School High School Competition Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Im from wisconsin, and we can go to as many as we want. we usually do like 4 or 5 insate comps, and then one in Minnesota, we also do reginonals/state and go to UCA nationals

I'm from Virginia where High School Cheerleading is considered a sport. This means that cheerleaders can only compete at Virginia High School League sanctioned events. They go to Districts, Regionals, and States. (Someone correct me if I'm not totally right about any part of this) There are serious consequences for competing and a non-VHSL event, so that's why you will never see cheerleaders from VA at UNC/NCA high school nationals

As many as we want here in Minnesota! Teams do anywhere from 3 to 11 locals (we do more like 6 to save money), some teams go to regionals and then UCA nationals. Haven't heard of teams going anywhere other than UCA, well except UPA... but we'll see who goes back there after the experience last year. Only varsity teams normally go to nationals in MN, but my JV is trying for a bid this year!

I'm from Virginia where High School Cheerleading is considered a sport. This means that cheerleaders can only compete at Virginia High School League sanctioned events. They go to Districts, Regionals, and States. (Someone correct me if I'm not totally right about any part of this) There are serious consequences for competing and a non-VHSL event, so that's why you will never see cheerleaders from VA at UNC/NCA high school nationals

Yess you are rightt! Im from VA, and my school only does districts, regionals, and states. Im not sure what some of the other states do, but I know for us, cheerleading isnt a year round sport, so thats why we are not able to do nationals & such.

Our high school JV team goes to 1 local competition, and Varsity goes to 2. Last year, Varsity went to NCA nationals in Dallas, but only the kids who could afford it went

In South Carolina, I don't believe there are any rules against how many competitions you can go to. We usually go to about 7 competitions or so including region and state. Competitions start the first week of October and last until the week before Thanksgiving. As far as I know, no teams in South Carolina go to any kind of nationals.

My team is only allowed to participate in competitions that are in the immediate area. I think the furthest we have gone was an hour and a half away. Our sports director won't let us go to competitions out of state but our lacrosse team and wrestling go to Maryland every year and other states. I remember the year before I went to high school our Varsity team got a bid to nationals but they said we weren't allowed to go which really stinks...even though it was 4 years ago. However we go to about 7 comps a season (January to March).

michigan high school cheer is very strange. It's split up into 3 rounds and theres no music which prevents then from going to Nationals. Varsity is allowed up to 10 competitions per season I think.

In georgia

JV is allowed to compete only at 4 competitions.
Varsity is allowed to compete at 6 regular competitions plus regionals/sectionals/state
we arent allowed to compete out of state or at any non-ghsa sanctioned events.

I do not think Maine has limits on how many comps a team can go to, but competitions are ONLY in the winter season, which begins around thanksgiving-ish. Various high schools host invitationals, and there's a Shriner competition that raises money for the Shriner's Children's Hospitals. There are no cheerleading company competitions in state, and I have never heard of a team going to them out of state so I doubt they are allowed. Each team competes in their conference championship (for my high school, it was the Southern Maine Activities Association) and then about a week later everyone goes to regionals (east/west). The top eight (I think) teams from each region continues on to states. The top three teams from each class at states goes on to New Englands. Nobody goes to nationals. The Maine Principal's Association recognizes winter cheerleading as a sport, but not fall cheerleading.

I go to high school in Maryland. In my county ( Anne Arundel County, South River High School) you are allowed to attend an Invitational competition from any high school in Maryland. Invitationals must be put on by another high school, not a competition program. Usually my team does about 2 or 3 and this is before our county competition. We then have Counties, a competition with the 12 others high schools in our county. The top 3 teams move on to Regionals. Regionals is comprised of 3 districts with 9 teams. The top 4 teams at Regionals move on to States. At States there are 12 teams and this is where our competition season ends. It sounds really confusing I know but all in all we have about 6 competitions for Fall season assuming we make it to Regionals and States (which we did this year). In Winter season we do about 5 comps (2 Invitationals and then Counties, Regionals, and States, again assuming we make it past counties which we also did this season).
Competition season for Fall cheerleading starts in August and goes until Novemeber then Winter cheerleading starts in December and ends in February. Both are competition seasons.
My county, and most counties in Maryland consider cheerleading a part of the Athletic Department therefore we cannot go to a national competition or anything put on by a competition company, only events put on by other high schools. There is one county in MD that I know of (PG county) that does not consider cheerleading a sport, but rather a club, therefore they can go to any competion they want.

I coach at a PG County HS and yes it is not considered a sport which is a good thing because we can practice over the summer and not have to have to seasons (Fall & Winter). We also can go to any competition we would like to attend, whether it be Jamfest, NCA,etc. I also think that we are the only county in MD that can have an all music routine. I really hope it doesn't become a sport in PG because we love giving our girls the chance to compete and be ranked nationally, and do competitions sponsored by big name companies!

michigan high school cheer is very strange. It's split up into 3 rounds and theres no music which prevents then from going to Nationals. Varsity is allowed up to 10 competitions per season I think.
I'm from Michigan as well, and I don't think there's a limit on how many competitions you can go to, but I'm not positive on that. Also, MHSAA doesn't allow any MHSAA sports teams to go to any kind of national competition.
I agree with you on how strange it is. I've never seen any other competitive cheer program set up like that.

I'm from Michigan as well, and I don't think there's a limit on how many competitions you can go to, but I'm not positive on that. Also, MHSAA doesn't allow any MHSAA sports teams to go to any kind of national competition.
I agree with you on how strange it is. I've never seen any other competitive cheer program set up like that.
you're from michigan? no wayyy. what part of mi are you from?

Back