High School High School Tryouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Not going to read thru all the posts (sorry! On phone and lazy!) But, I think a happy medium would be the Coaches, a Principal, and 1-2 outside judges. I also believe the tryouts should be open on the day of judging. Our girls workout for 3 days then have the tryout on the final day in a closed gym. They should have to cheer in front of a crowd. Make them tryout in front of their peers. Half of our JV squad looked like deer in headlights at the first few games (some of our Varsity too.) :(

(this sign line for rent)

Not going to read thru all the posts (sorry! On phone and lazy!) But, I think a happy medium would be the Coaches, a Principal, and 1-2 outside judges. I also believe the tryouts should be open on the day of judging. Our girls workout for 3 days then have the tryout on the final day in a closed gym. They should have to cheer in front of a crowd. Make them tryout in front of their peers. Half of our JV squad looked like deer in headlights at the first few games (some of our Varsity too.) :(

My current judges are myself, my 2 assistant coaches, the tumbling coach we work with, and a local college cheerleader who is not affiliated with the program.

A few people posted about no cut. I have 35-40 candidates typically for Varsity and there is no way I'm coaching Large Senior High School Edition.)

Side question:

How is everyone announcing results?

We will be (once again) sending out a link via email to the list (numbers not names.)

There is no easy way to cut someone but I try to keep it as private as possible (when I cheered HS actively, my school actually ANNOUNCED RESULTS OVER THE PA during the AM announcements. Ew.)

My current judges are myself, my 2 assistant coaches, the tumbling coach we work with, and a local college cheerleader who is not affiliated with the program.

A few people posted about no cut. I have 35-40 candidates typically for Varsity and there is no way I'm coaching Large Senior High School Edition.)

Side question:

We will be (once again) sending out a link via email to the list (numbers not names.)

There is no easy way to cut someone but I try to keep it as private as possible (when I cheered HS actively, my school actually ANNOUNCED RESULTS OVER THE PA during the AM announcements. Ew.)

My high school had a website and posted names for the team there.

Side question:

When I cheered, for the first round of cuts, you got an envelope stating whether or not you were invited back for the second round. If we did get invited back, it contained the schedule for the second round. These were distributed at the end of the week of clinics and "formal" tryouts. You had to go to the high school and pick up your letter (usually around 7 on Friday after tryouts) and you couldn't open it until you got back to your car, not that anybody actually followed that rule.

For round two, you got an envelope at the end of the three weeks of practice stating what team you were on, or if you had been cut. You only got cut in round two if you had a bad attitude and showed you weren't coachable. We got them at the end of practice and could open these once we left the gym, because you generally had a pretty good idea of what team you were going to be on based on who you worked with during the three weeks of practices. You got your practice schedule, parent meeting date, and contact info in the envelope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I cheered, for the first round of cuts, you got an envelope stating whether or not you were invited back for the second round. If we did get invited back, it contained the schedule for the second round. These were distributed at the end of the week of clinics and "formal" tryouts. You had to go to the high school and pick up your letter (usually around 7 on Friday after tryouts) and you couldn't open it until you got back to your car, not that anybody actually followed that rule.

For round two, you got an envelope at the end of the three weeks of practice stating what team you were on, or if you had been cut. You only got cut in round two if you had a bad attitude and showed you weren't coachable. We got them at the end of practice and could open these once we left the gym, because you generally had a pretty good idea of what team you were going to be on based on who you worked with during the three weeks of practices. You got your practice schedule, parent meeting date, and contact info in the envelope.

Three weeks???

Three weeks???

It was honestly miserable, but it was basically to see how you meshed with the other cheerleaders, and if your skills were consistent and you didn't just get lucky the day of tryouts. I don't think anyone ever got cut in round two, but it did suck to have to wait a full month from the time clinics started until round two practices were over to find out what team you made.

Side question:

Ours get called in one by one at the end of the third day and get handed a paper with their name on it and JV or Varsity circled (or I guess nothing if they didn't make either).

Side question:

I think there was a thread about this.
Different Team Reveals... | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

Side question:

We write the names of the girls who make it on a list and post it somewhere in the school, while the other coach goes in the gym to tell them if you made the team to come into the gym after checking results.

Our school used to post the names on the school's cheer website. One of the schools in our district still does that but a couple of years ago, our school changed that process and now only posts the list of tryout numbers for each squad. The girls that were trying out would create a messaging group so that they could get everyone's number so that they would know who made what squad. We also used to have a "made it" party at the school where all of the girls who made it would go and eat cake and take pictures after the lists were posted. They stopped doing that too. Now the girls meet at a restaurant on their own. It was a lot more exciting for the girls and parents when everything was public and they were able to celebrate with each other. Now it seems that the schools are catering to the feelings of the girls that didn't make it...not sure how I feel about that.

Our school used to post the names on the school's cheer website. One of the schools in our district still does that but a couple of years ago, our school changed that process and now only posts the list of tryout numbers for each squad. The girls that were trying out would create a messaging group so that they could get everyone's number so that they would know who made what squad. We also used to have a "made it" party at the school where all of the girls who made it would go and eat cake and take pictures after the lists were posted. They stopped doing that too. Now the girls meet at a restaurant on their own. It was a lot more exciting for the girls and parents when everything was public and they were able to celebrate with each other. Now it seems that the schools are catering to the feelings of the girls that didn't make it...not sure how I feel about that.
I like the cake party idea. Sucks that they don't do it anymore. It's not like they were being harsh.

Not surprising. This whole country caters to the unsuccessful.

When I was in HS(a looong time ago) they used to announce it over the PA during the final minutes of last period. They'd announce who made it through first cuts and then announce who made the team, it was brutal:eek:

Last edited:
Back