OT Hoverboard/flyboard's + Cheerleading

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Good points. I personally wouldn't get on one of those hoverboards if someone paid me because I know I'd hurt myself - but I'm old and lost all my coordination/athletic skill sometime during my first pregnancy ;), but that's true that many people don't realize their limitations and they are marketed to look as though anyone can do it. The laws will probably come as people get hurt and the companies get sued.

I can still ride a bike reasonably well though.

I was talking to my mom today and she brought up hoverboards and told me one of her clients is now the receiptant of 2 broken ankles thanks to the hoverboard. Unlike most people who are falling back and giving themselves concussions (or worse, ICU trips), her client jumped off thinking it would be safer than falling...only she jumped forward and the hoverboard hit her hard enough to shatter one ankle and break the other. She immediately collapsed. I saw a news article of one man jumping on the one he got his kids for Christmas and now he has a medal plate in his leg and a $100,000 bill after his leg shattered from falling.

I thought the boards looked cool and considered one for DH and the kids, I'm really thankful we just upgraded their bikes instead. After all of these horror stories, I don't think I ever want one in my house---even without the fire issue.

I have a feeling the liability fall out from this one is gonna get insane.

Are they even allowed at Disney? Because if not then it is a non-issue. I saw some kid carrying one in the subway station the other day and I was surprised because they are illegal in NYC.
I've STILL seen people on those unicycle-ish ones. With the one main wheel and the feet parts on either side. They'll go away in winter though (I hope) it's a death trap waiting to happen. I assumed part of the issue in NYC is they don't have a regulation set up (like bikes/motorcycles) but we have a very busy pedestrian walkway and you're not allowed to bike on it.

For the record, I went to StreamCon in NYC (One of those youtuber/vlogger/social media "stars" conventions for people in that field). I rode one, and it was fun but it does require a crap ton of balance. Part of the reason they got so popular so fast is because they were giving them out like hotcakes to every major Vine-r and Youtuber they could. Are you a relatively attractive young male? Are you on Vine and somewhat "famous"? HAVE A HOVERBOARD.

Personally I WOULD like them for places like NYC where a car is inconvenient, but then I wouldn't want every little trust baby to bust their bums and cause all the accidents their first week at NYU cause they were drinking and boarding. I hate them already, let's not make it worse :p

Two of my boys got them for Christmas, my 14yr old is ridiculously good on it, he's a skateboarder so I'm sure that helps but even my less athletic 11yr old zips around with no problem, my oldest son was a little shaky at first but does fine now and CP also loves it. My husband wiped out the first time he got on and I lasted maybe for 3-5 secs before bailing-embarrassing;).

From the CHEERSPORT Nationals page:

Hover Boards or Similar
For the safety of participants and attendees at our events, Universal Spirit does not allow the use of “Hover Boards”,“Razor Scooters”, “RipStiks”, “Skateboards”or any similar wheeled conveyances outside the competition venue or inside the competition venue or in the pre-function space. The only wheeled conveyances allowed will be those that have been deemed medically necessary for the individual using it (wheelchairs, medical knee walkers, etc).

I was completely over the Razor scooter riders there last year. Tens of thousands of people in corridors are hard enough to dodge.

I am an ER Nurse and I worked on Christmas Day. We saw quite a few injuries from hover boards. All but one injury were on adults trying their kids hover boards. Both my kids have one and do well on them. I believe since kids have a lower center of gravity the do better on them. My husband fell right on his bottom and hit his ankle.

I was talking to my mom today and she brought up hoverboards and told me one of her clients is now the receiptant of 2 broken ankles thanks to the hoverboard. Unlike most people who are falling back and giving themselves concussions (or worse, ICU trips), her client jumped off thinking it would be safer than falling...only she jumped forward and the hoverboard hit her hard enough to shatter one ankle and break the other. She immediately collapsed. I saw a news article of one man jumping on the one he got his kids for Christmas and now he has a medal plate in his leg and a $100,000 bill after his leg shattered from falling.

I thought the boards looked cool and considered one for DH and the kids, I'm really thankful we just upgraded their bikes instead. After all of these horror stories, I don't think I ever want one in my house---even without the fire issue.

I have a feeling the liability fall out from this one is gonna get insane.[/QUOTE

Last edited:
I am an ER Nurse and I worked on Christmas Day. We saw quite a few injuries from hover boards. All but one injury were on adults trying their kids hover boards. Both my kids have one and do well on them. I believe since kids have a lower center of gravity the do better on them. My husband fell right on his bottom and hit his ankle.
Yes, kids seem so much more natural on them...every adult I have seen try them looks like an idiot (well, except for Cam Newton, lol.) Every adult that tried cp's on Christmas either looked dangerously shaky, or wiped out so quickly you couldn't tell HOW they looked! ;) The kids just seemed to hop on and go instinctively.

Yep, South Carolina banned them last week. Segways as well.

USC only banned them in the dorms. In reality you can still ride them on campus if you keep them in your car or in your off campus housing. You also can still bring them in non residence hall buildings and let them blow up there. They're still considering a campus wide ban

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USC only banned them in the dorms. In reality you can still ride them on campus if you keep them in your car or in your off campus housing. You also can still bring them in non residence hall buildings and let them blow up there. They're still considering a campus wide ban

So it's more a "fear of explosion/fire" thing rather than a "fear of running over people" thing? That is actually very wise & proactive of USC. Because while we have one, it lives here at our house. I can monitor it & make sure it is never left charging unattended. It makes me extremely uncomfortable thinking about a dorm full of those things charging and college kids sleeping...shudder.

So it's more a "fear of explosion/fire" thing rather than a "fear of running over people" thing? That is actually very wise & proactive of USC. Because while we have one, it lives here at our house. I can monitor it & make sure it is never left charging unattended. It makes me extremely uncomfortable thinking about a dorm full of those things charging and college kids sleeping...shudder.

It sounds like more of a fear of fire rather than a fear of running people over

The reality is you can run someone over on them the same way you can run over someone on a bike, scooter, heelies, skateboard, roller blades etc.... So that excuse wouldn't really fly.

USC bans hoverboards from campus dorms | The State

Back