OT Hoverboard/flyboard's + Cheerleading

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I tried to stand on one of these last night... and all I can say is if I didn't have my friend holding onto me I seriously would have died. Such a confusing device... I was standing on it distributing my weight evenly (or so I thought) and it just kept going in circles and backwards...and they are just not for me.

Bless the people who can balance on them. They're also way heavier than I imagined them to be!

Oh no! I hope they're not out for long.

It's such a fine line between protecting our kids from missing their beloved sport due to injuries and letting them have fun. CP went ice skating today and the whole time I'm thinking "don't break anything - comp season is ramping up".
Cp has been trying to go ice skating all break and thankfully hasn't been able to. She just asked if she could go tomorrow. I'm going to be so nervous. Her team has had so many injuries, we can't afford anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cp has been trying to go ice skating all break and thankfully hasn't been able to. She just asked if she could go tomorrow. I'm going to be so nervous. Her team has had so many injuries, we can't afford anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't blame you! Sending safe skating vibes to her! I recommended CP wear lots of layers for padding in case she fell. [emoji15] She came home and said "I didn't fall once!" [emoji23]

Just read the story of a man in the ICU because of his fall off one of these things.

Now... to wait and see if ESPN Center and WDW is going to banned them, so we don't have to worry about them at UCA, Summit or Worlds.
Are they even allowed at Disney? Because if not then it is a non-issue. I saw some kid carrying one in the subway station the other day and I was surprised because they are illegal in NYC.

Are they even allowed at Disney? Because if not then it is a non-issue. I saw some kid carrying one in the subway station the other day and I was surprised because they are illegal in NYC.
I looked and it said segways , skateboards, rollerblades etc are not allowed. So I assume that they already are banned.

I don't see how it's any more dangerous than a skateboard, roller/ice skates, or even a bike - besides for the whole catching on fire thing :/. The $400 price tag is what most prevents me from buying my kids one because w/ all the bans and the upcoming bad weather I can't see where they'd even use it right now.

Maybe come spring/summer if the price goes down and they work out the fire issues.

My CP had a pair of wheelies back when they were a thing. She loved them.

I don't see how it's any more dangerous than a skateboard, roller/ice skates, or even a bike - besides for the whole catching on fire thing :/. The $400 price tag is what most prevents me from buying my kids one because w/ all the bans and the upcoming bad weather I can't see where they'd even use it right now.

Maybe come spring/summer if the price goes down and they work out the fire issues.

My CP had a pair of wheelies back when they were a thing. She loved them.

My take on the skateboards and roller blades and bikes is that people know that riding these things requires skill. It take a lot of practice to learn how to skateboard well. These hover boards are meant to look as though you just stand, point and the board goes where you want it to. I worry that people are buying them and thinking that they are super easy and super safe, therefore underestimating the safety risks and leading to accidents. Also, regarding bikes and other wheels, there are enough regulations on them now- have to a helmet, can't skate on certain properties, use the bike lane. The hover boards are so new that there aren't any precautions put in place and they are just starting to realize that there needs to be some rules about them.

My take on the skateboards and roller blades and bikes is that people know that riding these things requires skill. It take a lot of practice to learn how to skateboard well. These hover boards are meant to look as though you just stand, point and the board goes where you want it to. I worry that people are buying them and thinking that they are super easy and super safe, therefore underestimating the safety risks and leading to accidents. Also, regarding bikes and other wheels, there are enough regulations on them now- have to a helmet, can't skate on certain properties, use the bike lane. The hover boards are so new that there aren't any precautions put in place and they are just starting to realize that there needs to be some rules about them.

Good points. I personally wouldn't get on one of those hoverboards if someone paid me because I know I'd hurt myself - but I'm old and lost all my coordination/athletic skill sometime during my first pregnancy ;), but that's true that many people don't realize their limitations and they are marketed to look as though anyone can do it. The laws will probably come as people get hurt and the companies get sued.

I can still ride a bike reasonably well though.

Back