All-Star How Far Would You Travel For Practice??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

icecheermom

Cheer Parent
Jan 12, 2011
I saw a thread about this but now I can't find it so....don't bite my head off. Just wondering how far you travel? Would you drive hours for practice? out of state? fly?

My CP is only 12 so I haven't got to that point yet...but I hear of people driving MANY hours for cheer some people even choosing to fly to practice. I think that is just plain crazy but maybe its me and the fact my CP is still young. What do you think???

I have a 9 year old on my Youth 3 team that travels 2 hours one way twice a week for practices. Her former gym had her on a youth 2 team and told her she was not "ready" for level 3. Well, she splits center for flying (beautiful body positions, learned full up to prep very quickly) and she's last pass on our level 3 team....I think she's ready. lol

We have at least 7 kids on our senior 5 team that all travel at LEAST 1 1/2 hours one way to practice. One even flies in. :)

I would drive up to 3 hours with gas like it is now. And I know people who fly to practice & I would do it if I lived far away from my gym and understood how to "point" system on airtran worked or had "sky miles". I admire the ones who travel like that. True commitment!! But at the moment I only travel about 2 hours twice a week.

We have a gym 2 minutes from our house...we drive 2 hrs each way to Cali....the decision was made when the local gym could not provide what my cp needed...her goal became higher than they could make possible...I am blessed to be able to retire from my job of 28 yrs and drive my kids to practice. I understand that not everyone is that lucky. Right now...we practice 3 times a week..it's hard but as long as my girls get good grades, are polite good girls and God provides...we are in it for the long haul...:) Love Cali!

My cp is 12 and we drive about 1 1/2 hours 3x per week. If we are in super rush mode we can make it in like and hour and ten minutes, but that is soooo pushing it. That is the closest gym to us so we dont have a choice if she wants to cheer. If we could afford it we would fly or drive no matter the distance but realistically speaking for our true financial situation 1.5 hours 3x per week is probably about as far as we are gonna take it. 2 hours tops. I have thought what we would do if a gym opened closer to us and I think I would have to wait it out and see before I moved my cp. Its worth the longer drive for us to know she is progressing and loving it. It works for us for now. Her grades are still good and the gym is good so we will see for the future I guess.

On a good day I drive around 4 hours to practice, if there is a lot of traffic then maybe 5. I practice 2-3 times a week but luckily our practices are on the weekends fri-sun so I just stay down in San Diego with teammates. I use to drive back and forth everyday but soon realized that that was just plain silly. Cali is a pretty big state lol.

Isn't Cali Allstars in San Diego? If I was gonna drive 5 hours to practice I would want to be with one of the best programs in the United States. Everybody has their reasons but I would want to be with a program that has the best chance to win Worlds. Just lookin at facts and Cali has mutiple Worlds titles and CF has zero. Sorry kickdblcj just my opinion. No disrespect to you.

Isn't Cali Allstars in San Diego? If I was gonna drive 5 hours to practice I would want to be with one of the best programs in the United States. Everybody has their reasons but I would want to be with a program that has the best chance to win Worlds. Just lookin at facts and Cali has mutiple Worlds titles and CF has zero. Sorry kickdblcj just my opinion. No disrespect to you.

I am at one of the best programs in the United States :). Sorry but I have my reasons why I cheer at CF, the coaches are AMAZING and I feel at home. Not saying that Cali doesnt have amazing coaches but that gym just isnt right for me or else I'd be cheering there :p. Oh and CF has medaled at worlds before btw. Im not a ring chaser sorry, a lot more goes into picking the right gym than just cheering somewhere because I know Im going to get a ring. Sure winning worlds would be nice but Im happy where I am thank you very much! And since we're looking at the "facts" where do you cheer at? What level are you on, hmmm? Because its people like you that give certain gyms and our sport for that matter a bad name.

I am at one of the best programs in the United States :). Sorry but I have my reasons why I cheer at CF, the coaches are AMAZING and I feel at home. Not saying that Cali doesnt have amazing coaches but that gym just isnt right for me or else I'd be cheering there :p. Oh and CF has medaled at worlds before btw. Im not a ring chaser sorry, a lot more goes into picking the right gym than just cheering somewhere because I know Im going to get a ring. Sure winning worlds would be nice but Im happy where I am thank you very much! And since we're looking at the "facts" where do you cheer at? What level are you on, hmmm? Because its people like you that give certain gyms and our sport for that matter a bad name.
EVERYONE should be where they feel happy and content. NO ONE is EVER guranteed a ring..EVER..weather you are from CF, CA or YO MAMA allstars...so just be happy where you are or change and please don't make comments on others decisions...IMO

that comment was directed @bluecat20. I think you should be where you want to be...period...:)

I drive my 9 year old 1 hour each way to practice 4 times a week AND we pass 2 cheer gyms to get there. This is her fourth year. We started doing the drive when she was a 5 year old mini 1. So there is no such thing as too young.

Back