All-Star How Long Did It Take You Or Your Cp To Learn A Back Handspring?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheerKT

Best Overall Poster
Dec 13, 2009
So branching off the other thread, I was just wonder how long it took everyone to learn their back handspring? I feel like a back handspring is kind of like a hump. A lot of cheerleaders don't make it past that hump. And as someone who struggled with tumbling, nothing is cooler to me than watching an older, senior aged athlete finally throwing a back handspring after years of classes.

I'll start this thread out with a bang. My BHS took me about 3.5 years. Yeah, I win. haha. So don't give up hope all you struggling out there!

I switched instructors and tumbling gyms and was not a consistent tumbling class attendant (shame on me) so that affected me a lot. I began tumbling in 6th grade, threw it alone for the first time in 9th grade, then steadily by myself in 10th. Hooray late bloomers!

My sister & I started all star cheerleading over the summer & started getting spotted on back handsprings the 1st day we walked in. That same day our mom came to pick us up, we were throwing back handsprings by ourselves on a hard mat. The gym didn't have a spring floor yet. It wasn't a perfect back handspring (kinda backyard ish), but we were throwing them! We learned everything up to a tuck over that 1 summer.

I can't remember not having a back handspring. The story my parents tell me is that we were watching a gymnastics meet on tv (my mom says she thinks it was the American Cup in the early 80's) when I just disappeared. After a while my mom said she came went to go look for me and found me in the back yard "throwing" backhandsprings. She said it scared her to death and the next day I was signed up for gymnastics classes!

Cp got her backbend kickover in Nov. of 2009...
She threw her BHS in July of 2010..then crashed and blocked.
Last Tuesday she threw her ROBHS on the rod floor and multiple standing on the tumble track.
So not counting the one during the summer 1 year and 2 months!
My oldest took 3 years...crashed and never threw it again but would tumble forward all day!

It took me about a year to go from absolutely no tumbling (not even a cartwheel or forward roll) to Round-off handspring. I didn't do a standing handspring alone for about 2 1/2 years because I was so scared of them for some reason. I was landing running and standing tucks before I did my first standing handspring alone.

I've taken rec gymnastics classes since I was about 4 but I never took it seriously. I started allstars in 7th grade and still never got my backhandspring (quit in 9th grade for school cheer). I'm in 10th grade now and last May I tried out at a gym an hour away and threw my handspring for the first time ever by myself at tryouts (age 14), but then my mom decided she wouldn't drive me that far. So I never tumbled again until Woodward last summer, and was kind of scared about tumbling backwards there, so I really only did front tumbling that whole week. In November 2010 I started privates at a really small gym about 15 minutes from my house and in the beginning of January I FINALLY threw my standing handspring by myself, I'm 15 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=489qQgUSaU4 this is my first one) and the next week I learned my ro bhs in 10 minutes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHAdn0r_0jE)

Going from no tumbling at all i got my handspring in about 6 months everything else came fast for me hhaha

I got mine for the first time when I was 8 and it took me a year to get it. Then about 6 months later, I fell and got a mental block. It took me another 6 months to get it back again. I lost it like this 3 times and then finally something clicked when I was 10 and I was able to tumble without having a mental block. There was one time when I was going through another mental block phase where I was at tumbling class, got up the courage to throw it by myself, and then when I went to show my mom, I fell and lost it again.

So branching off the other thread, I was just wonder how long it took everyone to learn their back handspring? I feel like a back handspring is kind of like a hump. A lot of cheerleaders don't make it past that hump. And as someone who struggled with tumbling, nothing is cooler to me than watching an older, senior aged athlete finally throwing a back handspring after years of classes.

I'll start this thread out with a bang. My BHS took me about 3.5 years. Yeah, I win. haha. So don't give up hope all you struggling out there!

I switched instructors and tumbling gyms and was not a consistent tumbling class attendant (shame on me) so that affected me a lot. I began tumbling in 6th grade, threw it alone for the first time in 9th grade, then steadily by myself in 10th. Hooray late bloomers!

Mine took me over 4 years, but that's because I didn't start tumbling until I was 15, it's really, really hard to learn to tumble by the time you get to high school. But I wasn't in all-stars, I was in highschool and we did one of those one hour a week tumbling classes that your WHOLE team goes. Getting spotted 3 times in an hour is just not the way to do it. I got it my sophomore year of college, threw it for a few months, had a mental block and have never thrown it since. Thank god for open teams.

I've taken rec gymnastics classes since I was about 4 but I never took it seriously. I started allstars in 7th grade and still never got my backhandspring (quit in 9th grade for school cheer). I'm in 10th grade now and last May I tried out at a gym an hour away and threw my handspring for the first time ever by myself at tryouts (age 14), but then my mom decided she wouldn't drive me that far. So I never tumbled again until Woodward last summer, and was kind of scared about tumbling backwards there, so I really only did front tumbling that whole week. In November 2010 I started privates at a really small gym about 15 minutes from my house and in the beginning of January I FINALLY threw my standing handspring by myself, I'm 15 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=489qQgUSaU4 this is my first one) and the next week I learned my ro bhs in 10 minutes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHAdn0r_0jE)

LOVE THIS, well done hun!
I find it sooooooo much more rewarding coaching an old senior to BHS than a mini! You have worked so much harder to get there :)

Hm, I was 6 when I got mine.I think it took me, a year?
I was a hardcore gymnast since 7, when I switched to cheer.
Best. Decision. Ever.
<3

4-6 months....but it was really bad and she still has technique issues with it 7 years later. No progressions into it, just a cartwheel and a round off. If there was ONE thing I could go back and change, it would be her backhandspring. At the time I didn't know any better.

Please do not rush the backhandspring....it is so important for everything in their future!!!

I barely made it past that "hump"
rolleyes.png
Not a huge fan of tumbling..I used to have severe mental blocks to the point where I'd frog jump forever or pulled to the side and have to throw my handspring in front of everyone by myself :( So glad those days are at least over..but I had my bhs for probably off and on 3-4 years when I first started all star cheerleading..now it's solid! Instead of mental blocks, now I have inconsistancy with running tumbling especially. All of this is SO sad compared to my younger sisters who all went right into tumbling..one got her bhs in a week and the other is now a gymnast she had hers literally by the end of her first tumble class she had it by herself at age 6.

5 years to throw it by myself, 2 more years until it was consistent. So all together 7 years. Tumbling has never been my forte. I'm jealous of ALL of you right now! :p

Back