All-Star How Long Did It Take You Or Your Cp To Learn A Back Handspring?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My CP started cheer at age 3. Got her cartwheel at 3.5. Got a backbend kickover at 5, a back walkover at 5.5 and a solid round off at 5.5. She got her standing BHS at almost 6 but her technique still needs work. She currently (at 6.5) does a ROBHS but lacks power for the RO 2BHS. She just did standing 3BHS and RO 3BHS on the tumble track last night so that is progress. She also had a few months of mental block this fall where she refused to tumble at all.

In her opinion stunting and dancing are the best parts of cheer and she is happy to let the other girls progress their tumbling to make the team better.
wink.png

I can't remember not having a back handspring. The story my parents tell me is that we were watching a gymnastics meet on tv (my mom says she thinks it was the American Cup in the early 80's) when I just disappeared. After a while my mom said she came went to go look for me and found me in the back yard "throwing" backhandsprings. She said it scared her to death and the next day I was signed up for gymnastics classes!

for as long as I can remember I have had my backhandspring and I started gymnastics classes when I was about 5 yrs old!!

Both of my CPs started tumbling at age 5 and went from not knowing how to do a cartwheel to doing back handsprings within a year but, they also had a phenomenal tumbling coach that stressed proper technique, something that is missing in a lot of gyms these days.

Hmm... I was always sooo scattered while learning my BHS. Went to 3 different gyms. 2 gymnastics gyms (A & B) and 1 all star gym (C). Started at gym A. I went there almost weekly for 9 months (just realizing how expensive that is...) Kinda got my BHS but never threw it. I could sometimes throw it off the end of the tumbl trak and with a light spot on the floor. Then I started primarily going to gym C for more cheer practice too. All the coaches treated me AWFUL there. They wouldn't pay any attention to me half the time. I only felt comfortable with one coach who was so determined for me to get it. I proudly threw it with her a few times :) Then, I didn't go to gym C as often so I started doing a few privates and some open gyms at gym B. I had all the fundamentals to doing a BHS, I just wouldn't. I would throw it as many times as you wanted me to with a finger touching me, but once my coach left I couldn't do it. It was awful. That was when I was around 14 I believe. Then I kinda threw it once in a while, and then I quit! WOO! hahaha

I took a pretty long time to get mine too! About 2 1/2 years, plus a year to get it consistent and pretty. I've always wished I was one of those people who get new skills every practice! Tumbling is not a natural thing for me.

My oldest daughter was 8 when she started cheer. She was there like 2 weeks and they had her jumping and rolling over a barrel and then they told her to go on the cheesemat and they would spot her. Well they didn't need to spot her because she did it herself! Took her 4 months to get a cartwheel and roundoff!! My little one took about 4 months.

I know this sounds pathetic, but I started cheer when I was almost 5 and I finally started doing backhandsprings when I was almost 15. Up until the last 5 years I just wasn't really pushed to tumble. I always knew that I could throw it with a spot, even if they just put their hand there before I sat to go and then took it away after I sat. I just never had the confidence to throw it completely by myself. It's truly one of my biggest regrets that I didn't just throw it when I was younger because I'd be alot farther along in my tumbling by now. Plus the fact that in all of those ten years I had a private almost every week. If I would have started doing it earlier, it would have saved my mom alot of money.

It probably took my daughter about 4-5 months of private lessons to get her robhs/standing bhs. After that, it was like the light bulb went off. She now has a really nice robhs and standing bhs series, and has actually thrown robhs back tucks on the tumble track by herself. It's funny that her goals have now gone from "I just want to have my bhs so I can be on a level 2 team" to "I want to throw a full so I can be on the level 5 team". :)

2.5 years, i only threw it for 6 months. started twisting when throwing it so it got pulled from the routine (it was a miracle that i was even making it to my hands) and its been about 3 months and 1 crash later and i havent thrown it yet.

Back