All-Star How Long Did It Take You Or Your Cp To Learn A Back Handspring?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It is so interesting to hear all the different times y'all got your skills. My little CP got her back handspring this summer, but when she started throwing them on her own, she kept landing on her left shoulder. Her left arm is weaker than her right arm, so we're working on that, but since landing on her shoulder was a little painful, now she is blocking. She is afraid to throw it without a spotter. I watched her spotter last week in class, and he wasn't really even touching her...he was just there. So...her body can do it, but her brain doesn't quite believe it yet. I'm learning that blocking seems to be pretty common. She's 7.5 now, so I guess we still have plenty of time...I'll post a vid when she gets it solid! ;-)

I randomly for the fun of it threw one in 7th grade. This was before I started cheering and then years later in 10th grade I threw them on my trampoline and then the next day started throwing round off back handsprings on ground.... Yay for back yard tumblers!

It is so interesting to hear all the different times y'all got your skills. My little CP got her back handspring this summer, but when she started throwing them on her own, she kept landing on her left shoulder. Her left arm is weaker than her right arm, so we're working on that, but since landing on her shoulder was a little painful, now she is blocking. She is afraid to throw it without a spotter. I watched her spotter last week in class, and he wasn't really even touching her...he was just there. So...her body can do it, but her brain doesn't quite believe it yet. I'm learning that blocking seems to be pretty common. She's 7.5 now, so I guess we still have plenty of time...I'll post a vid when she gets it solid! ;-)
One thing I did when I had one stronger arm was take something that's as wide as your shoulders and swing your arms like you are throwing a BHS and throw what ever it is as hard as you can. (I used an orange cone, but if you can find something that is equal on both sides, that will be better). She should throw as hard as she can and if it goes one way, that sides stronger, so try to strengthen the other side and what not. But the exercise it self also really strengthens the muscles you need for a BHS... hope this helps! Best of luck to your CP. I got a mini block after I landed a few bhs's wrong so I definitely know how she's feeling.

I was a Junior in HS, and always watched the cheerleaders, and I just wanted to have that skill, after school, I went to the Y, and just jumped backwards to see what would happen...I had a standing BHS, and a ROBHS that evening at the Y. Went to school the next day, and tumble bHS clear across the gym.! My best HS memory!

i went from not being able to tumble to having passes to tuck within a year i got my Bhs in 2 trainings so 4 hours

it took me longer to get a BHS than a full....seriously

at the end of my first season (4th grade?) during the middle of practice i just went on the back floor (hard mat) and threw it by myself. As for RBHS, i hadnt gotten spotted on it but i had heard they were easier than standing BHSs so i just threw it randomly during tryouts the next season. i wish i was still fearless like i used to be...

i got my bhs around may/june of last summer & i was working on it for around 1.5-2 yrs. The hard work pays off!

I had been working my back handspring from May of last year until about November of this year. So about a year and a half. I lost it now though since I hurt my elbow :(

i got my back handspring in about a couple months when i was 12

standing tuck though.. and layout thoosee are different stories!

im going on my 8th year of not having a standing handspring.. :/ ive thrown it once or twice but then the next practice i freak out and cant do it again. i have my ROBHS but thats all :(

Started consistently going to tumbling classes in 8th grade. Didn't throw it by myself until 10th grade. Got a mental block by summer going into 12th grade... Never threw it by myself after that, even in college. I was that ONE person without a standing bhs on my college team. So it took 3 years to throw... I had it for about 2 years... And I cheered 4 years hs/all star and 1 year of college. I love seeing the older girls throw them for the first time, too! I can really relate hahaha.

It took me almost 2 years to get mine. I think it took me so long because I was on higher level teams because of my other skills, and I was encouraged, but not necessarily pressure to get it, but then there came a time when I wanted to do it for myself. Then there was the issue of me being addicted to the tumble trak haha...I've had difficulty getting skills, and it feels amazing when you do, but there is absolutely NOTHING like the moment when you finally become "a tumbler".

mine took over 4 years to learn. partly my mental blocks, and partly the fact that the training facility was non-sprung and it hurt me. :/ but now that i'm at a new gym i've progressed a lot!

Back