All-Star How Many Full Outs?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 1, 2011
Just curious...at this point in the season how many full outs is your team/gym requiring per practice? per week? Are you focusing more on cleaning and perfecting or running as many full outs as possible? What do you think works best?

We have a general rule of a minimum of 3 full outs per practice. 1 as a warm up, 2 as an onstage performance, 3 for good conditioning.
The rest of the time we are tweaking, cleaning and polishing. Then we either work on next level skills or condition.

Wish our gym did this. My biggest gripe about the way they do things is that we can go weeks without a full out. I really think their timing would be much better if they heard the music more, particularly sice they are minis. 2-3 weeks is a long time when you are 6-8.
:eek:
why aren't they doing full outs? what are they doing instead?

I try to do at least 2-3 each practice if we have a comp that weekend. Depends on what I'm working though, cleaning and working synch or if I think they need to up their endurance and strength we might do it alot more. Last night I had my youth team do it 5 times in a row (but only two times were 100% full out, after that I took out running tumbling and pyramid) because they needed to work transitions and timing.

Our mini's (which I do not coach) do it full out the practice before a comp. We have a very young mini team, ages 4-6 with a couple 8 year olds) so they still need a lot of practice on the individual parts and remembering where to go next. Not how I would run practice but I also don't have any experience working with kids quite that young.

:eek:
why aren't they doing full outs? what are they doing instead?
Teenage coach syndrome. They spend so much time trying to make little things perfect they don't "get to" the full outs. We will spend an hour on 16 counts. If it isn't "perfect" we not move on. The end results that full outs, when they happen, crash and burn the first couple of times because they haven't put it together in do long. The week before a comp is crazy because of it. They are suddenly trying to put it all back together. It has beenbetter this time with the lead in to cheersport. I think the powers that be at the gym have finally gotten the message that more supervision is needed. We have had a real adult at practice the past 2 weeks and have run full outs. I think they are getting that letting 2 teens coach was a mistake.

I try to do at least 2-3 each practice if we have a comp that weekend. Depends on what I'm working though, cleaning and working synch or if I think they need to up their endurance and strength we might do it alot more. Last night I had my youth team do it 5 times in a row (but only two times were 100% full out, after that I took out running tumbling and pyramid) because they needed to work transitions and timing.

Our mini's (which I do not coach) do it full out the practice before a comp. We have a very young mini team, ages 4-6 with a couple 8 year olds) so they still need a lot of practice on the individual parts and remembering where to go next. Not how I would run practice but I also don't have any experience working with kids quite that young.
I know from doing dance routines with that age that everything changes when you turn the music on. If you expect them to do it to music they need to be doing it to music, IMO. Knowing where to go to counts when you can stop and fix it is TOTALLY different than being able to transition on your own when the music is going. I cannot imagine cheer could be that different in that respect.

One with just stunts, three full outs, and a last one with just stunts. That's usually how it goes. It can be more if we don't do well though. Needless to say, I'm dead after practice.

I know from doing dance routines with that age that everything changes when you turn the music on. If you expect them to do it to music they need to be doing it to music, IMO. Knowing where to go to counts when you can stop and fix it is TOTALLY different than being able to transition on your own when the music is going. I cannot imagine cheer could be that different in that respect.
This is absolutely correct. If you don't practice it with the music, then turning on that music makes it crazzzzyyy. Getting to stop after each section and re-do it is not how it works on the mat. Simulating the actual experience is so necessary.

I agree , throughout my coaching career I have always included a tiny or mini team in the roster of teams I coach for the season and honestly with them we go full out 10-15 times per practice simply because at that age they don't understand how to mark a routine anyways and they don't even break a sweat in full outs! They need the experience of the speed and flow of the music...cleaning things on counts is usually not that useful anyways.

At regular practices its usually about 3 to make sure we can hit solid. At short practices the day before a competition its come in and leave once you hit it. So this means we leave when we hit it the first time, or we keep doing it until it hits. One time it was 7 full outs until we hit, but it was definitely worth it to feel confident before the competition.

after we warm up, we usually do 2 or three walk throughs with stunts, run a minimum of 3 full outs, (this week and last week we've done about 6 per practice) then do sections full out to clean up. we end practice with a couple walk-throughs with stunts again. i think its a great system :)

I am curious about how people run full outs. Warm up, go full out, immediately line back up? 5 in a row? How long between them?

We rotate fullouts with other teams that are doing them too. But Saturday it was just us doing them so about 10ish mins in between each one I think

Back