All-Star How Many Full Outs?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My gym alternates the ways we do our full outs in a practice.
Example:
1) Quick warm-up , 3-5 full outs with about 5 min rest between each and then use the rest of the practice time doing partial runs (just stunts or just tumbling or just the first half of the routine) , cleaning things, working on weaknesses and conditioning.
2) Slower warm up, partial runs first , then 3-4 full outs about midway through practice.
3) Quick warm-up, 2-3 full outs, work on different parts of the routine (ex: get some stunt reps in or clean standing tumbling) and then finish the practice with a few full outs and a few partial runs.
4) Before a competition it is generally: Warm-up on a timer (same times and rotations as upcoming competition). Alternate full outs with another team 5-7 times. Finish alternating with a "stunts/pyramids/tosses" run. And then split to clean the weaker parts of the full outs with whatever time is left.

holy my gym is apparently so different. we stretch for the first bit of practice, do every stunt (if they're going really well we do a few together and move on, if they arent we keep going), and then warm up standing tumbling, then running tumbling. we do artistic runs, stunt runs, jumps/tumbling runs, then partial runs. we literally ONLY do full outs within the first 2-3 practices before competition. we have long breaks in between full runs, and it all depends how good the runs go. if they're bad, we'll either do a bunch more or a bunch of stunt runs. never realized how different my gym was!

holy my gym is apparently so different. we stretch for the first bit of practice, do every stunt (if they're going really well we do a few together and move on, if they arent we keep going), and then warm up standing tumbling, then running tumbling. we do artistic runs, stunt runs, jumps/tumbling runs, then partial runs. we literally ONLY do full outs within the first 2-3 practices before competition. we have long breaks in between full runs, and it all depends how good the runs go. if they're bad, we'll either do a bunch more or a bunch of stunt runs. never realized how different my gym was!
what are artistic runs?

runs where we focus on motions, transitions and dance! we also call them "hard marks" sometimes!
gotcha. That's what I thought, but I never heard it called that before.

We usually warm up like its a competition (5 mins for tumbling, 5 mins for stunts, etc.) Then we'll either go full out, or full out stunts or tumbling before the real full out. Typically we only go full out once per practice, I think the most we've done is 2.

At my gym, we have a warm up and stretch session that usually takes about 15-20 minutes. Then, our level 5 teams split up onto different floors and warm up all stunts. 3 sets of the elite stunt, 2 sets of the pyramid, a straight ride basket, and then kick kick doubles. Warm up any other transitional stunts, and then begin tumbling. After that, we do around 3-4 full outs with about 10 minutes in between. We then work on sections that need cleaned, or need to be looked at and analyzed for the next competition.

Interesting. So for people is it just full out, rest, full out, rest?

Do you all discuss in between full outs? Do you try individual skills in between full outs that may have missed?

(I find how other people do things fascinating)

Do you see injuries happen in your season early on or all year? Do injuries happen during risky skills? Do they happen because of fatigue or being improperly performed? Do alternates sit alongside and go in if injuries happen? When do you start watering down skills in relation to going full out and in relation to the time of year?

Do you all discuss in between full outs? Do you try individual skills in between full outs that may have missed?
We full out and discuss. If there's a part (or parts) that had a problem we talk about the fix then do that part 1 time to make sure the fix happens. Then full out again.
ETA: yes we make missed skills go again immediately. 3x for good measure.

At CP's gym they typically stretch, warmup tumbling, work stunts, pyro, etc. I would say in the last 20 - 30 min they do 3-5 full outs, one or two they might just mark tumbling

I like to warm up each section individually. The first run through might be just jumps. Second is jumps and stunts, third is tumbling and jumps. The last will be full out. Depending on what's needed, the run throughs may be tweaked (pyramid and standing only ect) There will be discussion between each run through.

On any of the run throughs, if something fell, busted or was a no throw...you owe it to me after the routine.

(I find how other people do things fascinating)

Do you see injuries happen in your season early on or all year? Do injuries happen during risky skills? Do they happen because of fatigue or being improperly performed? Do alternates sit alongside and go in if injuries happen? When do you start watering down skills in relation to going full out and in relation to the time of year?
Most of the injuries I've seen this year (and previous) have been freak things. Not counting the kids who get injured outside the gym, the injuries have been happening on skills the kids have had. Nothing that was new, just weird accidents.

Usually, we'll water down in the 2 weeks or so leading up to our first competition if need be. After our first competition or two, we usually have a few weeks off to work those skills back in. At this point in the season, some teams are working new skills and those will go in the routines when they're performance ready.

We don't have designated alternates. If there is an injury, we'll take someone from another team, and add a practice if needed.

Last practice we did 6 Fullouts with short breaks inbetween. We were supposed to do 8 but ran out of time. It was intense, but i really like it because it helps us build stamina and motivates us at the same time. Our last Fullout was also our best one

I would love to track how people train, practice, and get injured. Also what level, age, and what time of year. As well as the severity.

I think it would be very telling.

i also find it very interesting.

From what I've seen/read/heard, World Cup does a very low number of full outs per practice. 2 seems to be considered a lot there. but there don't seem to be as many serious injuries. (of course, i don't know every kid on every team and I very well could be wrong.) I also don't see nearly as many braces on those kids as other programs (though, again, that could be psychological etc.)

on the other side of the coin, Cheer Athletics seems to do repetitive, high numbers of full outs per practice and you rarely hear about those kids being injured either. (other than the freak accident injuries)

i wish some organization/scientist out there would fund case studies. i volunteer to travel around to gyms and observe and track injuries.

Back