All-Star How Old Were You When You Threw Your First Back Handspring? Full?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Like I said in the other thread...it's really interesting that y'all got your skills at so many different ages. I guess that proves it's never too late to work on new skills...uh...unless you're in your 40's like me...LOL!!

One day I was at my hs cheer practice warming up my layout and just somehow twisted. It was very very very ugly. I would layout and at the last second when i was about a foot above the ground twist. Eventually I just started twisting sooner and getting it higher.

For my dbl I just one day decided to keep twisting (I was at an all star gym at the time so I had some coaching but I for the most part did it on my own with out spots).

I started working on my BHS when I was 13 and didnt get it until i was 15. I had it on and off, and then on the first day of practice for the new season, the coach told the team that whoever did not have it was going to be put on a different level, so that day I did it and had it since. I am only working on tucks now, no fulls.

My daughter got her
BH at 7
RO BH BT at 8
RO BH LO at 9
She is almost 10, now they are starting to teach her whips.

back handspring-8 years old
full-i got it when i was 11 but then stopped cheerleading for a while, so i got it back last year so 15

Bhs-14
Full-well, still waiting on that. Of course, it's all waiting, and not actually attempting, so prob not gonna happen!

My cp is 8

5 Standing and ro bhs
6 running tuck
7 standing tuck, layout, punch front, fhs, aerial

She landed her full once a week after her 8th bday. It was right before 3 consecutive weekend competitions and she only does tumbling classes on Saturday. (she's never had privates). So, she hasn't done it since. They haven't been working on it with her anymore, either, I believe becuz she's doing level 3 tryouts right now. It's ok with both of us, though because she has nothing but time and she really needs to work on and perfect the skills she has.

I don't even remember getting my standing handspring and tuck.. I've had them since as long as I can remember haha
And I got my full when I was 10 while I was in gymnastics and then my double a year later.

In gymnastics I was never spotted on floor tumbling.. our coach would spot us on the trampoline, we'd perfect it on the trampoline, then move to the tumble track, and then throw a sting mat of the floor and go for it. I never remember falling on a full or not making it around because of the progressions we went through and my body just knew exactly what to do. I wish cheerleading was more like that..

My cp
Started cheering right after she turned 5 (11 months ago)
And in this time she has got her cartwheel, ro, back walkover, BHS all standing and running.
At practice here lately been working on toe touch BHS & ro BHS.
She has them but still working on perfecting it. Next I'm guessing is going to be BHS in series.
Maybe even this dreaded front walkover - it would be so good if only she could bring herself up out of it! :)
I'm really excited for her to learn tucks too!

Btw, I loved reading this thread it's amazing how different people can progress!! Good luck to all of y'all!

backhandspring- 5 years old( I was a competitive gymnast)
I'm now 14, and have everything except my full(Including level 5 skills- triple toe back, pike back, etc.)

Back