All-Star Huge Cheer Decision!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

first i'm so sorry for your injury! second i had a stress fracture in my lower back last year. luckily it wasn't too severe so i was out for about 2 months & had to do physical therapy. once my time was up i was told it would be "smart" to still take off another month but that my back was basically healed. i decided not to take the extra month off because besides the fact i had been dying not cheering i honestly felt that it had gotten a lot better. so the choice is up to you & how you feel. if you do you have the chance of getting hurt, if you don't you might always wonder "what if". I haven't had any problems with my back since & once i came back i made sure to keep conditioning to strengthen my back & then went back into tumbling at a good pace with progressions. also weird enough my xrays showed "signs" of a stress fracture the year before in a different spot that had healed on its own while i was still cheering (which made sense since i did have back pain but never thought anything of it) so no it's definitely not impossible to train with them. good luckk!

Okay, I have had a back injury for about 7 or 8 months. i found out that I had 2 stress fractures in my lower back! I had to literally do nothing and just rest my back for those 7 or 8 months. I couldn't exercise OR cheerlead. I have been an allstar cheerleader for about 9 years and I had to stop! But now, i am basically healed and my physical therapy sessions end in about 3 weeks. My doctor says when i am done physical therapy, it is my choice whether or not to return to cheerleading. However, if my back starts to act up again, i can never cheerlead again! I have no idea what to do and I need some opinions!!! thanks!

I have cheered for about two years. I quit around summer 09 10 ish, well i wanted to get back '11 of january feb well alittle along the way i found out that i had spondyolisthesis and i could cheer , im honestly scared to do it again in fear that i might hurt myself further.
but what i thought was that when i want to cheer again to only base small girls and do fly skills that dont require back exertion. and no back hand springs or bridges. the team you want to go to should allow you to cheer.

@Taylor25 , i feel terrible and i am so sorry you had to go through this. it must have been so hard to stop cheering for that long. If i were in your shoes i would deffinitely go back to cheer and atleast try to do it agian since cheer is my whole lifeand if you have been doing it for nine years i can tell it also means alot to you. were all only young once so everyone should liv life to the fullesst. i wish you the best of luck and i hope your back will continue to not hurt if you choose to join again. let me know what you choose to do! :) best of wishes to ya!

I hate to say this...but Taylor, you only have one back your entire life. You can't get a new one. Is a few months of All-Star glory really worth a lifetime of back issues? You're young. You've got a very long life ahead of you. The decision is yours, but please think big picture over short-term fun.

Go for it! I had the same thing and make sure you go as slow as possible to gain your skills back! and don't mistake being sore from actual pain! it will be sore for the first week (or 2, maybe 3) I saw go for it! make sure you ice and stretch:) my back hasnt had a glimpse of pain every since! Good luck!

Start with lower level tumbling and see how you feel. A back injury deserves respect. Do NOT ignore pain if you feel it!

well if you're like a senior of junior where your all star cheerleading days are dwindling down, then i would just do it and not push yourself too hard. If you have a couple more years of cheerleading left then i would just take some more time off to guarentee you are out of cheerleading forever! but only you know your body, good luck! :D

Back