I Can't Be The Only Person Offended By This

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 4, 2012
I was on a popular media & social networking site minding my own business when I came across an entry that made my blood start to boil. It was titled Should Cheerleaders Be Allowed To Cheer With Knee Braces It caught my attention because I cheer with a knee brace, and it was published by one of the more prominent members of the site. The post read:

"So I was watching South Carolina beat Alabama on Saturday and they showed this chick wearing a full blown knee brace on the sidelines. I guess I kind of respect her heart for being out there, but at some point you’re just hurting the team. Like I’m sorry honey, but knee braces just totally ruin the sexy vibe and defeats the whole purpose of being a cheerleader in the first place. I mean you might as well just be ugly at this point. Therefore I think the NCAA needs to institute some sort of rule to prevent s*** like this in the future. If cheerleaders need to wear than they shouldn’t be allowed to cheer on game day. It’s for everybody’s own protection."

[This picture was included with the entry]
IMG00101-20101009-18391-480x539.jpg

That is horrible. Whoever wrote it should get on this site and explain themselves. If they were focused on the fact that she could be hurt worse that would be onething -- "but sexy vibe" please they just set cheerleading back several decades when cheerleaders were only these little sideline cuties and not athletes in their one right.

Once again, people are getting the idea that we do this sport to be 'sexy'. We do this sport because we have a passion for it. It shouldn't matter to a spectator that a cheerleader is wearing a knee brace, an ankle brace- or even just a wrist brace! If it's for safety and protection they need to wear it. this seriously irks at me because I wear an ankle brace for a problem I've had for years, and if I was to not wear it, I wouldn't be able to do anything. some people need to get their heads straight and think of the athletes athleticism before themselves.

That is horrible. Whoever wrote it should get on this site and explain themselves. If they were focused on the fact that she could be hurt worse that would be onething -- "but sexy vibe" please they just set cheerleading back several decades when cheerleaders were only these little sideline cuties and not athletes in their one right.
exactly! i for sure don't wear a knee brace to look cool. it's the only way i can actually get out there and cheer. so many people are working their bodies to the limit for cheer, it's horrible that we are looked over as athletes by so many people. not only did that guy disrespect cheerleaders, he disrespected women in a big way.

Even if it was, what the heck difference does it make as long as she's doing her job. Nobody would complain if a soccer player, gymnast, volleyball player, figure skater or anybody else wore a brace

They might complain. But who cares? Like Joe Dirt says "Just keep on keepin' on!".
...And now I'm picturing athletes wearing face braces hehehe. That's a pretty funny mental image.

Back