I Can't Be The Only Person Offended By This

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Who says that? It's so freaking stereotypical to call cheerleaders attractive and just eye candy for football players and people in the stands, and have that be the only reason they're there.
I want to boycott sideline cheering until we get respect. It's so stupid how people think all we do is look pretty and that's all we're good for. Do they not notice us that we throw people 15+ feet in the air or stack each other 3 people high?!?!
I don't care if you don't want to call us a sport, but at least recognize that what we do takes skill and athleticism, just like football or volleyball or gymnastics.

Rant over. I feel better.

I was on a popular media & social networking site minding my own business when I came across an entry that made my blood start to boil. It was titled Should Cheerleaders Be Allowed To Cheer With Knee Braces It caught my attention because I cheer with a knee brace, and it was published by one of the more prominent members of the site. The post read:

"So I was watching South Carolina beat Alabama on Saturday and they showed this chick wearing a full blown knee brace on the sidelines. I guess I kind of respect her heart for being out there, but at some point you’re just hurting the team. Like I’m sorry honey, but knee braces just totally ruin the sexy vibe and defeats the whole purpose of being a cheerleader in the first place. I mean you might as well just be ugly at this point. Therefore I think the NCAA needs to institute some sort of rule to prevent s*** like this in the future. If cheerleaders need to wear than they shouldn’t be allowed to cheer on game day. It’s for everybody’s own protection."

[This picture was included with the entry]
IMG00101-20101009-18391-480x539.jpg
You say it is a person on the site can you call them out? What is their name so we can ask them to explain. Especially if this person is a coach I as a mom would want to know because that is not the type of person I want teaching my daughter.

CP got kicked in the face last night. She could use a face brace :)

Let's put protective head gear and body armor on these kids and see how many people call them "sexy". I don't see many gymnasts get called sexy and they show way more skin and flexibility.

Personally, I blame the dance portion of cheer. From sideline to all star it can get pretty suggestive with the booty popping, hip thrusting moves in the majority of dances.

"Like I’m sorry honey, but knee braces just totally ruin the sexy vibe and defeats the whole purpose of being a cheerleader in the first place"

Offensive on several fronts!!!

That's INCREDIBLY rude, it's not just you! I wasn't really upset (but still confused) about why someone even cared about a knee brace until I got to this line..

"... but knee braces just totally ruin the sexy vibe and defeats the whole purpose of being a cheerleader in the first place. I mean you might as well just be ugly at this point."

Unbelieveable! I'm also sad for the girl. Not sorry for her, but she was the one who was used an an example.

Thats dispicable, what chauvenistic jerks! Beyond how disgustingly sexist and wrong it is, i cant believe they would ignore the entire aspect that she is fighting through an injury! maybe im biased because im struggling through a second injury, and will definitely be wearing a brace IF i can come back, but ive always felt strongly for any ATHLETE who can overcome an injury especially being in that position now. I dont think its fair to blame any aspect of our sport, those sexist inconsiderate pigs are the ones at fault. Again, maybe its cuz im one of those girls, but i fully support anyone who needs a brace to get back to doing what they love

I hope the author of this post blows out the ACL, MCL and dislocates their kneecap this evening. Then maybe the tone of this post will change. How ridiculous!

Back