OT I Didn't Know Where Else To Put This. What Are Honors Classes Like In English For 8th Grade?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Better start hitting an earlier bedtime and start paying attention during class instead of perusing the internet. Seems like you're a smart kid if your teacher is recommending you for Honors classes - don't waste the opportunity!
I only am on here in my free periods.
So I'm not sitting here supposed to be studying, but instead on here lol. No, I focus when I should.

Our school system does not have Honors classes for 8th graders (they start in high school). My CP was in some higher level math and English classes though, and her teachers did not allow cell phones to be used in class. In fact, both of my CPs who went to 2 different schools were not allowed to be on their cell phones during class time, but even if they were allowed, there would be no way they could keep up with their classes if they were on message boards or twitter, IG etc during class. :confused:

I see what you're getting at and this is a side note and actually just a random vent.

My niece is in 5th grade. She walked to my moms house this morning at 6am (my mom and sister live on same street 5 houses away from each other) hysterical because today is "Tech Tuesday" where they're supposed to bring cell phones to class and use them all day. I kid you not. It's the most ridiculous thing ever

Anyway she was upset because my sister took her iPhone away and lost it and now she didn't have an iPhone to take to school today.

So many things wrong with that situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see what you're getting at and this is a side note and actually just a random vent.

My niece is in 5th grade. She walked to my moms house this morning at 6am (my mom and sister live on same street 5 houses away from each other) hysterical because today is "Tech Tuesday" where they're supposed to bring cell phones to class and use them all day. I kid you not. It's the most ridiculous thing ever

Anyway she was upset because my sister took her iPhone away and lost it and now she didn't have an iPhone to take to school today.

So many things wrong with that situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the purpose of this Tech Tuesdays?

Our district has MIT (My Instructional Technology). It is a poorer school district. Kids are encouraged to bring their devices (laptops, smartphones, I pads, etc.) to school. They can link up to the free WiFi and use their devices to look up words, spell check, do research, type papers, download/use educational apps, etc. At first glance it seems like a good idea. Unfortunately, most kids end up using their devices to text, check out non educational youtube videos, check social media, etc.

Our district has MIT (My Instructional Technology). It is a poorer school district. Kids are encouraged to bring their devices (laptops, smartphones, I pads, etc.) to school. They can link up to the free WiFi and use their devices to look up words, spell check, do research, type papers, download/use educational apps, etc. At first glance it seems like a good idea. Unfortunately, most kids end up using their devices to text, check out non educational youtube videos, check social media, etc.

Is that not to purpose of dictionaries and libraries or is that too old school now?

Is that not to purpose of dictionaries and libraries or is that too old school now?

LOL I think society in general is usually looking for the fastest, easiest way to get things done. Kids will say: why do I need to learn to tell time on a clock, the time is right here on my cell; I don''t need to tie my shoes I wear slip on, velcro, no tie elastic laces; no reason to mail a letter I can send an e mail; why make time to call I can send a text that uses letters instead of words, how r u? Me 2.; instead of looking up a word in a dictionary just say it to Siri and she will tell you what it means .....................................

LOL I think society in general is usually looking for the fastest, easiest way to get things done. Kids will say: why do I need to learn to tell time on a clock, the time is right here on my cell; I don''t need to tie my shoes I wear slip on, velcro, no tie elastic laces; no reason to mail a letter I can send an e mail; why make time to call I can send a text that uses letters instead of words, how r u? Me 2.; instead of looking up a word in a dictionary just say it to Siri and she will tell you what it means .....................................

Well exactly, if the options are letting the kids bring in devices that they use incorrectly on school time versus making them research stuff the good old fashioned way---what's wrong with the latter?

Well exactly, if the options are letting the kids bring in devices that they use incorrectly on school time versus making them research stuff the good old fashioned way---what's wrong with the latter?

I agree with you, but I don't make the decisions.

I'm just kidding.

But research is done by and large on electronics now. I mean, heck, even the dictionary is online now.

I didn't get the original reference, I need to brush up on my jokes.

I definitely think technology is necessary, but when it gets abused---especially in a school, there is power to do something about it. I don't know, it just seems odd but my kids are young and have 3 computer classes a week which still boggles my mind.

This was my exact thought. CP's school requires them to have two dictionaries at home. If she needs to find the spelling of a word, she is supposed to look it up in the dictionary as opposed to the Internet or asking a parent to spell it for her. Her school does teach them how to use technology (IPads, Chromebooks, etc), but no one is allowed unmonitored use of it (elementary or middle school).

Budgetary challenged or not, I think that allowing kids unbridled use of technology in the classroom creates more of a distraction than an aid. Our children don't need to be linked into technology hour of the day.

It will be interesting to see how this generation of children interacts socially as adults. We are at the point where a good amount of children are whizzes on a tablet before they even start elementary school. I am 30. I got my first cell phone when I was 18. I think we got our first computer in our home when I was between the ages of 10 and 12. Whereas CP knows how to use my IPhone, IPad, and MacBook. As an adult, I am pretty connected with technology, but it still irks me that people can call or FaceTime me whenever they want. I find my phone notifications incredibly intrusive so I hardly ever have the ringer on.

There will be a day when the majority of social interactions will take place through technology.

Back