OT I Didn't Know Where Else To Put This. What Are Honors Classes Like In English For 8th Grade?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I didn't get the original reference, I need to brush up on my jokes.

I definitely think technology is necessary, but when it gets abused---especially in a school, there is power to do something about it. I don't know, it just seems odd but my kids are young and have 3 computer classes a week which still boggles my mind.

CP has them twice a week. Her last class was on how to create a password and how to protect your password. Her 3rd grade class is being assigned their individual email addresses next week...

And then there is me, who uses my ATM pin with an added word as my password for EVERYTHING. I probably should have sat in on that class...

My school is 6-12th grade and starts advanced classes in sixth grade. Honors classes start in high school. I went to a different school in sixth grade, but in my seventh and eighth grade classes, we were being taught analysation(?) skills and how to write informative essays of all kinds.

What is the purpose of this Tech Tuesdays?

None. They're supposed to use their phone all day on Tech Tuesday.

My educated guess is that it is to promote bullying, separate the haves from the have nots and highlight the digital divide.

That has to be the case because that is literally the only reason a 10 year old would be hysterical at 6am over not having her iphone... because she was worried what other kids would think

There is no other point, as they have a classroom set of iPads

And to clarify...she attends a predominately wealthy elementary school, where there are certainly more "haves" than "have nots". Shes the only minority in her class, so she is constantly on edge about being accepted and not being "perceived" differently than others. Feel free to read between the lines about that.

My school is 6-12th grade and starts advanced classes in sixth grade. Honors classes start in high school. I went to a different school in sixth grade, but in my seventh and eighth grade classes, we were being taught analysation(?) skills and how to write informative essays of all kinds.

6-12th grade school, was that the one in North Carolina or Florida?

CP has them twice a week. Her last class was on how to create a password and how to protect your password. Her 3rd grade class is being assigned their individual email addresses next week...

And then there is me, who uses my ATM pin with an added word as my password for EVERYTHING. I probably should have sat in on that class...

That's funny.

This was my exact thought. CP's school requires them to have two dictionaries at home. If she needs to find the spelling of a word, she is supposed to look it up in the dictionary as opposed to the Internet or asking a parent to spell it for her. Her school does teach them how to use technology (IPads, Chromebooks, etc), but no one is allowed unmonitored use of it (elementary or middle school).

Budgetary challenged or not, I think that allowing kids unbridled use of technology in the classroom creates more of a distraction than an aid. Our children don't need to be linked into technology hour of the day.

It will be interesting to see how this generation of children interacts socially as adults. We are at the point where a good amount of children are whizzes on a tablet before they even start elementary school. I am 30. I got my first cell phone when I was 18. I think we got our first computer in our home when I was between the ages of 10 and 12. Whereas CP knows how to use my IPhone, IPad, and MacBook. As an adult, I am pretty connected with technology, but it still irks me that people can call or FaceTime me whenever they want. I find my phone notifications incredibly intrusive so I hardly ever have the ringer on.

There will be a day when the majority of social interactions will take place through technology.

I went nearly 2 years without a cell phone in Missouri; I think it drove my friends more nuts than it did me. I chose to get rid of it by choice because I never kept it charged nor did I ever answer it. We've always had a house phone, if I like you enough---I'll give you that number to reach me, otherwise your text will sit for days at a time.

This coming generation of adults scare me, tbh.

My educated guess is that it is to promote bullying, separate the haves from the have nots and highlight the digital divide.

That has to be the case because that is literally the only reason a 10 year old would be hysterical at 6am over not having her iphone... because she was worried what other kids would think

And to clarify...she attends a predominately wealthy elementary school, where there are certainly more "haves" than "have nots". Shes the only minority in her class, so she is constantly on edge about being accepted and not being "perceived" differently than others. Feel free to read between the lines about that.
She's only 10 and they expect her to have a cell phone?! My 10yr old would be SOL because he does not and will not have a cell phone until he is 12, as his brothers were. Of course he bugs me about getting one all the time, but I cannot for the life of me see why he needs a phone right now, despite his claim that everyone has one;). He has an iPad that will have to do for now.

Seriously? That's RIDICULOUS. People need to mind their own business, if they're wealthy that's cool, if they're not, well that's cool too.
Your 10 year old daughter should not have to fear judgment based on an iPhone.

Or it could be that she is like every other kid her age and doesn't want to stand out.

I just skimmed the thread so I really have no idea what's going on but to answer the OP's question:

My honors lit 8th grades class read: Les Mis, Great Expectations, Romeo & Juliet, Frankenstein, and a book written by a Holocaust survivor and I'm totally blanking on the name. Lot's of group discussions, some interesting series of projects and papers of course. I enjoyed it a lot.

I didn't ask. My English teacher asked me if I wanted to go in Honors. Here, it doesn't matter what time of the year it is, as long as it isn't the tail end or near the tail end of the year.
I was just wondering...What criteria your school used to decide, what student will be in honors classes? At my daughter's MS, they actually have a Magnet school within the regular school... I know, my daughter was placed in honors classes for Math and Language Arts in 6 grade, but it was not a teacher asking, if you want to go to honors classes, but the guidance counselor and the Dept. Chairperson, who placed her in those classes.. In my daughter's case she scored in the Advanced Proficient - above 250/300 on her standardized state tests and in prior grades had 95 and above GPA in the subjects and strong recommendations from other teachers. But my knowledge tells me, you really need those high test scores and it is the guidance counselor that will place you into a class, not a singular teacher, at least in NJ. Actually, your guidance counselor should be able to give you a clear understanding of the demands in this new English class and properly guide you. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I was just wondering...What criteria your school used to decide, what student will be in honors classes? I know, my daughter was placed in honors classes for Math and Language Arts in MS, but it was not a teacher asking, if you want to go to honors classes, but the guidance counselor and the Dept. Chairperson, who placed her in those classes.. In my daughter's case she scored in the Advanced Proficient - above 250/300 on her standardized state tests and in prior grades had 95 and above GPA in the subjects and strong recommendations from other teachers. But my knowledge tells me, you really need those high test scores and it is the guidance counselor that will place you into a class, not a singular teacher just asking. Actually, your guidance counselor should give you a clear understanding of the demands in this new English and properly guide you. Good Luck!
Thank you!
My teacher put me here because I was literally one question away from Advanced on the PSSA. Also, I had scored higher than some kids in Honors on a pretty challenging test. She and the guidance counselor talked about it; the decision wasn't just hers.

She's only 10 and they expect her to have a cell phone?! My 10yr old would be SOL because he does not and will not have a cell phone until he is 12, as his brothers were. Of course he bugs me about getting one all the time, but I cannot for the life of me see why he needs a phone right now, despite his claim that everyone has one;). He has an iPad that will have to do for now.

She got her first cell phone at 8 when she had to travel to an out of state cheer competition with a coach and their family, otherwise she would have never had one. Even still it's highly monitored (hence why she had it taken away)

I don't care about the age a child gets a phone. I just feel like what you can, want or are able to do for your child should not be turned into a barrier to learning.

If you want to have " Tech Tuesday" then bring out the classroom set of iPads and call it a day. Don't encourage them to bring gadgets from home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back