All-Star Is It Ok To Mark An Entire Routine In Competition?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If you cant go full out you're not ready for competition. Personally just dont see the point!
actually everyone was ready.... this competition wasn't worth risking an injury on the teams. they go full out at practice. both teams weren't against anyone.Coa was not giving refunds so they showed up and actually did stuff that needed more work.

actually everyone was ready.... this competition wasn't worth risking an injury on the teams. they go full out at practice. both teams weren't against anyone.Coa was not giving refunds so they showed up and actually did stuff that needed more work.
i dont get it...you go full out at practice but not at a comp? you're still risking an injury no matter what, its part of the sport

Even with an event like the Majors, I don't see why anyone feels entitled to whatever level of routine a team puts out?

They don't sign contracts with us to ensure the performance is worthy of our judgement. Teams compete or prepare for future competitions any way they feel is best. Our place is just to support them no matter what. That's cheerleading.

If you can't be supportive of teams because they don't fit your idea of preparation, uniform, or competition, perhaps you are the problem. (this is a blanket, rhetorical statement, not directed at anyone)
Lies. You purposefully directed this at me because you're a big meanie poopie head. :p

Even with an event like the Majors, I don't see why anyone feels entitled to whatever level of routine a team puts out?

They don't sign contracts with us to ensure the performance is worthy of our judgement. Teams compete or prepare for future competitions any way they feel is best. Our place is just to support them no matter what. That's cheerleading.

If you can't be supportive of teams because they don't fit your idea of preparation, uniform, or competition, perhaps you are the problem. (this is a blanket, rhetorical statement, not directed at anyone)

I never said that contracts were signed but if a team is a L5 or L2 then a reasonable person would assume that a L5 or L2 routine is going to be performed at a competition. As for being supportive, everyone who is involved in this sport in any capacity from establishing new safety measures to attending competitions are supportive of these athletes but as supportive as we are if you present mud don't expect people to call it chocolate.

...How can you build confidence in a routine if you don't actually DO the whole routine? I mean- I get that. I get going to a smaller competition in between big ones to A) Save money B) Work out kinks in new stuff you're doing..etc. But I'm not gonna be confident that I can hit my whole routine if I don't actually do it. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned lol. I also understand doing an exhibition type routine more towards the beginning of the season. I understand one or two stunt groups marking or somebody marking tumbling, particularly if there are injuries/fill-ins. I dunno, it just seems silly to me. That goes for all programs. If you're not going to be ready for a competition, why bother going? Now, I've seen some level 5s exhibition before, and they did the whole routine. Maybe not pushing hardcore for skills, but they were still hitting skills in their level (Starlites and I believe Odyssey came to a comp at Atlantic City and did their routines the year I did allstar).

It IS your routine, your gym, and your coaches decision. But just because you make a decision doesn't mean people don't get to question it. I do, however, find it an absolutely fascinating discussion. It helps having it be about an actual gym, because then we're getting REAL responses, and not somebody just hypothetically playing devils advocate for the fun of it.

I have to disagree. If the decision didn't impact you/your child/your team, then NO I don't think you're entitled to question it. It had nothing to do with you.

And while it's OK to have an opinion on it....like it or dislike it....I don't think it's OK to question ultimatealexa1 's feelings on the matter. She was just expressing her perspective as an athlete on the team, someone who WAS directly impacted by the decision. Who are you to question HER feelings?

I have to disagree. If the decision didn't impact you/your child/your team, then NO I don't think you're entitled to question it. It had nothing to do with you.

And while it's OK to have an opinion on it....like it or dislike it....I don't think it's OK to question ultimatealexa1 's feelings on the matter. She was just expressing her perspective as an athlete on the team, someone who WAS directly impacted by the decision. Who are you to question HER feelings?
I have the right to question it if it's something that may or may not impact me in the future? We don't live in a vacuum (which, side note, I always find difficult to spell)..every action taken impacts somebody else in some other way. Are we not obligated to question our surroundings and make inferences and judgments based on what we discover? I have found that when one stops asking 'Why', one loses out on some of the most intriguing parts of life. I would find it odd that I'm not allowed to question a very public decision. No, it's not affecting me now, but as a former/current coach of various sports I often wonder why people make certain decisions. How will I ever gain knowledge without asking? Without critiquing and saying 'How do I feel about this method?'

Also- I like to, whenever possible, inform my opinions with as much information as possible. She made a statement (to the effect of 'We did it this way and I found it xyz'). I am curious as to how she came up with that statement, which is why I asked my question 'How can you build confidence in a routine if you don't actually do it?' It is a genuine question. How can I inform my opinion if I don't ask her why she feels the way she feels? She's totally allowed to tell me its none of my business..I might therefore infer its a method I don't agree with/probably wouldn't use (as I stated in my point 'Maybe I'm old-fashioned lol'). I also had a really good .gif for this post, but I can't find it..darn.

Fierceboard is a discussion board. By its definition, it is a forum to question topics not necessarily people's feelings. Some people are still acting too sensitive about this topic which has raised many valid points pro and con.
My grandma always told me "Feelings aren't right or wrong, they just are...." also,
Opinions are like buttholes,... Everybody has one! Gotta deal with it.

I have the right to question it if it's something that may or may not impact me in the future? We don't live in a vacuum (which, side note, I always find difficult to spell)..every action taken impacts somebody else in some other way. Are we not obligated to question our surroundings and make inferences and judgments based on what we discover? I have found that when one stops asking 'Why', one loses out on some of the most intriguing parts of life. I would find it odd that I'm not allowed to question a very public decision. No, it's not affecting me now, but as a former/current coach of various sports I often wonder why people make certain decisions. How will I ever gain knowledge without asking? Without critiquing and saying 'How do I feel about this method?'

Also- I like to, whenever possible, inform my opinions with as much information as possible. She made a statement (to the effect of 'We did it this way and I found it xyz'). I am curious as to how she came up with that statement, which is why I asked my question 'How can you build confidence in a routine if you don't actually do it?' It is a genuine question. How can I inform my opinion if I don't ask her why she feels the way she feels? She's totally allowed to tell me its none of my business..I might therefore infer its a method I don't agree with/probably wouldn't use (as I stated in my point 'Maybe I'm old-fashioned lol'). I also had a really good .gif for this post, but I can't find it..darn.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree, because I certainly don't see things the way you do.

If you cant go full out you're not ready for competition. Personally just dont see the point!

Prodigy already has their paid bid for worlds so I think they have more things to worry about then this competition like keeping their athletes healthy and getting a routine ready for worlds and the other BIG competitions they are attending.

If J5 would have gone out there and did their entire routine falling all over the place looking like a hot mess can you imagine the horrible comments on videos, twitter, and any other social networking site would have been? I don't see how it is better to go out there and fall all over the place then to just mark those parts of your routine that aren't ready to be performed yet.
It reminds me of before Dec. when people would throw out the "it's still early" excuse when a team wouldn't hit, well if they couldn't hit that routine they shouldn't have been competeing in Oct. or Nov. Those teams got torn to pieces for what they put on the mat that clearly wasn't ready. So I think UA did the best thing for their athletes because the nasty people come out when teams have bad days.

I try and stay out of stuff that goes on around here but I have to thank you because you gave me my first laugh in this thread. I retain the right to use this on any future posts that are about my program. I think you're genius for thinking of it. :cheering:

I try and stay out of stuff that goes on around here but I have to thank you because you gave me my first laugh in this thread. I retain the right to use this on any future posts that are about my program. I think you're genius for thinking of it. :cheering:
LOL!! Feel free...use away! ;)

LOL!! Feel free...use away! ;)
Oh I will thank you.

But life around here isn't like that. Anything put on the floor is setting yourself up to be talked about. Sometimes it's good sometimes it's not so good......but no matter what you can bet that people will have an opinion and share it freely. It's the nature of this fiercebeast!

...How can you build confidence in a routine if you don't actually DO the whole routine? I mean- I get that. I get going to a smaller competition in between big ones to A) Save money B) Work out kinks in new stuff you're doing..etc. But I'm not gonna be confident that I can hit my whole routine if I don't actually do it. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned lol. I also understand doing an exhibition type routine more towards the beginning of the season. I understand one or two stunt groups marking or somebody marking tumbling, particularly if there are injuries/fill-ins. I dunno, it just seems silly to me. That goes for all programs. If you're not going to be ready for a competition, why bother going? Now, I've seen some level 5s exhibition before, and they did the whole routine. Maybe not pushing hardcore for skills, but they were still hitting skills in their level (Starlites and I believe Odyssey came to a comp at Atlantic City and did their routines the year I did allstar).

It IS your routine, your gym, and your coaches decision. But just because you make a decision doesn't mean people don't get to question it. I do, however, find it an absolutely fascinating discussion. It helps having it be about an actual gym, because then we're getting REAL responses, and not somebody just hypothetically playing devils advocate for the fun of it.

Because sometimes when you have changes in your routine it is good to at least compete them at least once in front of a crowd before you compete them at a big competition like jamfest indy. The parts in the routine that we did change, like the small change in stunts, the change in running tumbling, and the changes to make pyramid more difficult were done full out when we performed at COA. yes, we didnt do standing tumbling or jumps but honestly it was good way for a lot of us to get jitters out on things we were nervous about, to see what mistakes we made sunday, and to fix these mistakes for next weekend in indy! Thats just my opinion though..

Because sometimes when you have changes in your routine it is good to at least compete them at least once in front of a crowd before you compete them at a big competition like jamfest indy. The parts in the routine that we did change, like the small change in stunts, the change in running tumbling, and the changes to make pyramid more difficult were done full out when we performed at COA. yes, we didnt do standing tumbling or jumps but honestly it was good way for a lot of us to get jitters out on things we were nervous about, to see what mistakes we made sunday, and to fix these mistakes for next weekend in indy! Thats just my opinion though..
Fair enough. It wouldn't work for me..I'd want to do EVERYTHING to at least get a feel for how it would all fit together (I'd hate having the first time piecing bits together be at a bigger nationals, would make me nervous!), but I hope it works out for you.

Back