High School Is It Possible To (almost) Completely Get Rid Of The Lazy Kids? If So, How?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Official OWECheer

Most likely to post anywhere
Jan 16, 2014
I've wondered about this. All-Star is a different matter, because the people in it typically know what they're in for. In high school/middle school cheer, some people know what to expect and some don't. Others think it's a ticket to popularity and put in as little effort as is possible, so that they can coast through the season and still call themselves a cheerleader. I hope to coach someday and would like to know what you current coaches do to filter out kids like this. I've already heard of things like having each kid submit 2 teacher recommendations for tryouts, but what other tactics do you use?

Are you including the girls who have been cheering for several years so they think that they can stunt, but they have never really been taught and don't actually know what they are doing?

Teacher recs aren't going to tell you everything either. Bad students aren't always bad cheerleaders. Many good students are going to want to put in effort to be successful in all that they do, but some don't try at anything and if it doesn't come easy, it doesn't get done.

You can usually tell during tryouts, and you simply just don't take those kids. Its not fail proof though, and there is occasionally a kid that will make it through. We've been lucky enough to not have this issue, however if we did I would make the kid an alternate. If they're on varsity they would be moved down to JV, who is sideline only. Having competition alternates has some negatives to it, but overall is the single best thing to push the team. So a lazy girl having that spot means one that will try gets the chance.

I do use recommendations as well, but sparingly. You can't go by them alone. Lots of kids will not be the greatest in the classroom, but will be your best and hardest worker in cheer. Schools have a lot of issues, and some kids just don't do well. Cheer is their outlet, and is where they care.

Sometimes the lazy kids have good skills which makes it soooo tricky. Like, you don't want them on the team because you know they're not reliable, but you need their standing tuck.
It's worth it to not take it in the end though, because people with bad attitudes can mess up the team's psyche.

I wish I had the perfect answer because I have seen this increase in laziness over the last 4 years. Usually they are motivated at tryouts, even the first month or so of practices, but then...they just don't give a hoot anymore. I use teacher recommendations, 3 of them, and it asks about motivation/attention to detail, timeliness of assignments, tardiness/absences, overall attitude towards subject area/teacher/classmates. Most of the time, if a teacher puts anything less than a 4/5 on attitude or motivation then you run into this type of behavior in cheer too. You could try a coach recommendation if they have played a school/rec sport before.

You are kidding about no lazy kids in allstar right? That might be true on upper level teams, but for the last 3 years we have seen kids come in on the lowest level team and have NO idea what they are getting into. They are NOT ready for the kind of commitment allstars requires and end up spending a year pulling the team down and never coming back. Usually, they are young kids and mom saw the sparkly uniform and thought "won't this be fun" without realizing what they were jumping off into. They place everyone who tries out at our gym, so we end up with kids with no skills, no ability to listen and take direction, and no drive to be better. We thought we were getting away from that when CP got her level 2 skills, but we have no level one this year. Sigh....

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

You are kidding about no lazy kids in allstar right? That might be true on upper level teams, but for the last 3 years we have seen kids come in on the lowest level team and have NO idea what they are getting into. They are NOT ready for the kind of commitment allstars requires and end up spending a year pulling the team down and never coming back. Usually, they are young kids and mom saw the sparkly uniform and thought "won't this be fun" without realizing what they were jumping off into. They place everyone who tries out at our gym, so we end up with kids with no skills, no ability to listen and take direction, and no drive to be better. We thought we were getting away from that when CP got her level 2 skills, but we have no level one this year. Sigh....

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Wow, that's interesting. I feel like a lot of parents, especially if their kid is young, think that cheerleading is supposed to be an easy, inclusive activity.

I wish I had the perfect answer because I have seen this increase in laziness over the last 4 years. Usually they are motivated at tryouts, even the first month or so of practices, but then...they just don't give a hoot anymore. I use teacher recommendations, 3 of them, and it asks about motivation/attention to detail, timeliness of assignments, tardiness/absences, overall attitude towards subject area/teacher/classmates. Most of the time, if a teacher puts anything less than a 4/5 on attitude or motivation then you run into this type of behavior in cheer too. You could try a coach recommendation if they have played a school/rec sport before.
Good idea. Is this lack of motivation more likely a with certain type of kid (new to the sport, seasoned, etc.), or do you see it across the board?

... My strategy? Hard conditioning. Expecting perfection every time we do easy skills (EVERYONE can be clean. EVERYONE can do the prep for a jump correctly, even if their jumps are two inches off the ground.) I expect no talking when we're working. If I have to say "please stop talking," the kids instantly get into push up position. Complaining during any of this? We do more conditioning to get stronger. If I hear "this is boring/this sucks/I don't want to be here," I call parents and the kids go home. I sound like a tyrant, reading this, but I'm not, really - we have a lot of fun, play a lot of games while learning and while conditioning. But Homey don't play laziness. If you don't want to work hard and be an athlete, that's cool - you don't have to! But you're not welcome on the team with the rest of the athletes. I don't cut kids for skills. Frankly, I don't cut kids - the lazy ones just don't come back.

... My strategy? Hard conditioning. Expecting perfection every time we do easy skills (EVERYONE can be clean. EVERYONE can do the prep for a jump correctly, even if their jumps are two inches off the ground.) I expect no talking when we're working. If I have to say "please stop talking," the kids instantly get into push up position. Complaining during any of this? We do more conditioning to get stronger. If I hear "this is boring/this sucks/I don't want to be here," I call parents and the kids go home. I sound like a tyrant, reading this, but I'm not, really - we have a lot of fun, play a lot of games while learning and while conditioning. But Homey don't play laziness. If you don't want to work hard and be an athlete, that's cool - you don't have to! But you're not welcome on the team with the rest of the athletes. I don't cut kids for skills. Frankly, I don't cut kids - the lazy ones just don't come back.
AMEN. I like your style.

We don't have tryouts because the school I coach at is small, but I did have a very lazy girl join my squad last year. After hearing so many complaints from her, I ended up letting her go from the squad. It's not fair to the other girls who are actually willing to put forth effort. It was also made very clear to the others that I will not tolerate laziness.

LAZY CHEERLEADERS UGH

I feel like kids get lazy as they get comfortable. I also feel like kids get lazy as they get used to a program. Just this weekend, a varsity that was pretty much a bunch of angels at camp sent me various texts about how they are missing stuff this week.

Example, 2 girls (one of which hated that the other one made varsity and are now BFF) told me they had "volunteer work" and had to leave practice an hour and a half early on Thursday (the night before the 1st game). I said, ok, you will sit out and if JV picks up material, they will cheer in your place. Needless to say, they no longer have the "volunteer work". They didn't think it would be a big deal.. we don't do much game prep after the first week ever so I am not sure where their entitlement came form.

The other one that seems to be an issue doesn't think anything pertains to her... not kidding... She seriously doesn't. Comes on a camp bus w/ hair barely half up half down (supposed to be a ponytail), missing a game and a practice this week, complains that she is not a co-captain.. In a way I wish she would just quit, but I have a transfer coming in that is better so the transfer should take her place... If that doesn't give her and her mom (for making her feel entitled all the time) a swift kick in the rear I am not sure what will, plus it will show that I don't need anyone and they need to earn their spots.

But I think lazy comes w/ comfortable.

LAZY CHEERLEADERS UGH

I feel like kids get lazy as they get comfortable. I also feel like kids get lazy as they get used to a program. Just this weekend, a varsity that was pretty much a bunch of angels at camp sent me various texts about how they are missing stuff this week.

Example, 2 girls (one of which hated that the other one made varsity and are now BFF) told me they had "volunteer work" and had to leave practice an hour and a half early on Thursday (the night before the 1st game). I said, ok, you will sit out and if JV picks up material, they will cheer in your place. Needless to say, they no longer have the "volunteer work". They didn't think it would be a big deal.. we don't do much game prep after the first week ever so I am not sure where their entitlement came form.

The other one that seems to be an issue doesn't think anything pertains to her... not kidding... She seriously doesn't. Comes on a camp bus w/ hair barely half up half down (supposed to be a ponytail), missing a game and a practice this week, complains that she is not a co-captain.. In a way I wish she would just quit, but I have a transfer coming in that is better so the transfer should take her place... If that doesn't give her and her mom (for making her feel entitled all the time) a swift kick in the rear I am not sure what will, plus it will show that I don't need anyone and they need to earn their spots.

But I think lazy comes w/ comfortable.
I wonder if other sports have this problem.

Back