All-Star It's Called An Arabesque, Folks!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sorry, this has been killing me on this board... STOP calling it an "aerobesque." That's not even a real word, and I have no idea how it even developed. It's called an arabesque, as in "in the arab fashion," and we got it from ballet terminology.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine, like when people pronounce Aerosmith as "arrow smith" smh... illiterate people...

kind of random, but i LOVE your signature :)

Sorry, this has been killing me on this board... STOP calling it an "aerobesque." That's not even a real word, and I have no idea how it even developed. It's called an arabesque, as in "in the arab fashion," and we got it from ballet terminology.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine, like when people pronounce Aerosmith as "arrow smith" smh... illiterate people...
its funnny i had this argument .. because aero ... mean air...

I must be really slow. I still can't hear the difference. It's a good thing I'm alone in the house or someone would try to have me committed because the only words I've said for the past few minutes is aero, air-o, arrow. They all sound the same to me!
Love the profile pic! It takes me back to JJ days

I must be really slow. I still can't hear the difference. It's a good thing I'm alone in the house or someone would try to have me committed because the only words I've said for the past few minutes is aero, air-o, arrow. They all sound the same to me!

i think he is saying that aerosmith sounds like AIR O where as arabesque should sound like AIR A

i don't see the difference either...sorry. aero, air o, arrow...hmmm nope don't see it...

It's Aerosmith, just like it's spelled.

AIR O= AERO

ARROW is different, see my above links:)

I'm from Michigan and "arrow" sounds exactly like "aero". The dictionary.com pronunciation sounds like "ah row".

But on the subject of arabesques, I was thinking of stunt sequences for one of my teams and a friend suggested that they do a full-up to an "airplane". I had no idea what she was talking about until she showed me... I didn't know that people even called them "airplanes".

Are you guys all from the south or something? lol... those do not even sound close! Listen and you will know what I mean!:)

ARABESQUE- http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/arabesque

ARROWsmith- http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/arrowsmiths

AERO (As in AEROSMITH)- http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/aero

I get what you are saying about arabesque, because that bugs me too! It's the arrow and aero. I'm from Indiana, about as far north in Indiana as you can get without falling into a lake. I think it must be a midwest thing, because arrow and aero are pronounced the same here (like aero). Thanks for the links with sound, though! I totally get what you are talking about now.

Latest posts

Back