All-Star It's Called An Arabesque, Folks!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

your thinking of PROPER ENGLAND ENGLISH.. to some people that is an accent.. to me ..people in Tennessee have an accent... to people in Tennessee.. I have the accent .. there is NO "proper" way to say it.. EVERYONE says it differently..
youre from south jersey. you guys have accents too.
phOne, hOme, etc

i work with lines and ARROWS all day long. every single person in my office says arrow the same way. Just like Aero and airoh. sounds the same lol.

HOWEVER! i do understand the difference between ara and aero, which is the point of this thread to begin with :)

aero and arrow are pronounced the same in the northeast too, every where i have been... the way they pronounce arrow on that link sounds like a british accent to me hahah. ive never heard anyone around here pronounce it like that.

No they're not. Not where I'm from in MA. Aero is more like Air-O and arrow is a softer sound.

I say more "r" sound in arrow. But I totally sucked at the phonetic spelling/pronounciation portion of my education. I just know with margaritas, the things I say have more syllables than they normally do.

The only time in my life that I have ever heard "arrow" pronounced like AR OH was when a british person said it.

This is a great topic but it should really be in the random section.

I hate the word hOagie. especially when south jersey and Pa people say it.

and you guys are thinking i'm implying that you say "ar" like the letter "R". if you said it like than you would sound like you have a british accent....

let me break it down for you....
the "AR" in arrow is the same "AR" that is in arab. you dont pronounce arab like "R-ab" you say "ar"... same as the "ar" that is in "arrogant" there is NO WAY that you say 'arab' or 'arrogant' with "ar" sounding like "air" or "R"

so pronounce ARROW with the same "ar" as arrogant
so when you say AERO, you are saying it as "air-oh"
if you are saying ARROW with "ar" as "air" then you have a slight accent when saying your A's

hahahaha! My above post has a link for a talking dictionary of English pronunciation.....sounds the same to me!

In Virginia we say Aero and Arrow the same as well...i STILL don't get it

Exactly!! smh...:confused: I have always spelled arabesque (like that) and pronounced it IMO normally..but I wouldn't be surprised if I someone told me I was pronouncing it "wrong" either. Everyone has their own perception of what sounds right...for example I've always said beg-el versus bay-gull (bagel) and people make fun of me :( haha Obviously spelling should remain constant, but pronunciation will always differ. tomato-tomato, potato-potato!

Back