All-Star It's Called An Arabesque, Folks!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i agree that is frustrating to have arabesque spelled wrong but it really has nothing to do with how aero is the same or different then arrow....

It's related because ARABESQUE is not AEROBESQUE and the EXACT same mispronunciation happens in reverse when people pronounce AEROSMITH as ARROWSMITH..... I'm using two examples of who the two (AER and AR) are NOT interchangeable

1. I actually DID NOT know that - Ill try and fix my spelling in the future
2. Aerosmith vs. Air-O-Smith.... Dont hear a difference.

Side note: When I started cheering back when I was 16 - I thought it was called "aerobreast"

CORRECT:)

This may have been one of the funniest not-exactly-cheer-related thread in a while. And I still don't understand half of the things you all pointed out with the differences :D

When i have a free minute, i'm going to make a recording of all of the different pronunciations!

I hate the word hOagie. especially when south jersey and Pa people say it.

and you guys are thinking i'm implying that you say "ar" like the letter "R". if you said it like than you would sound like you have a british accent....

let me break it down for you....
the "AR" in arrow is the same "AR" that is in arab. you dont pronounce arab like "R-ab" you say "ar"... same as the "ar" that is in "arrogant" there is NO WAY that you say 'arab' or 'arrogant' with "ar" sounding like "air" or "R"

I do, and so does everyone I know... so I still can't hear the difference. ;]
Air-ub = arab.
Air-uh-gant = arrogant.

You do realize that based on where people are from determines how they pronounce things right?

But there is an accepted way to pronounce them... which is why they have IPA in the first place. You might say "I have a such and such accent, so I completely adulterate the proper pronunciation of this word" lol

But there is an accepted way to pronounce them... which is why they have IPA in the first place. You might say "I have a such and such accent, so I completely adulterate the proper pronunciation of this word" lol
Well, it is what it is. I've never heard of IPA, and I can only go by the way I pronounce things. And honestly I would never know I was ever pronouncing anything wrong. No one has an accent to themselves.

What I can agree to...aerobesque=wrong, arabesque=right. aero and ara sound completely different.

Well, it is what it is. I've never heard of IPA, and I can only go by the way I pronounce things. And honestly I would never know I was ever pronouncing anything wrong. No one has an accent to themselves.

What I can agree to...aerobesque=wrong, arabesque=right. aero and ara sound completely different.
Then what have we been arguing about? Lol... You just summed up the whole argument quite nicely:)

Back