All-Star Jamfest Not Giving Worlds Bids?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Definitely interesting responses, I'd like to add it was a rumor I heard, glad to see I wasn't the only one. Ok, so now that statements have been made about another competition competing AGAINST World's, and some are for some are against. My opinion, USASF has their mistakes, yes they are trying, but apparently the snails pace isn't fast enough.
So I have two questions
1. What would it take for another competition to draw you/your gym AWAY from the "USASF WORLDS"
2. At what point is "enough enough"?

1. It would have more to do with the governing body than the World Championship event.
2. When there is a new option that is so much better that it will be worth the adjustment period.

I definitely wouldn't put it past Jam Brands to create a new system. And I do believe they could do a very good job at it. Since I'm not involved in the logistics of it all, I can only hope and pray that SOMEONE figures out what will make our sport thrive and move forward with that. I honestly can't say I have the answers so I have to hope that someone else does. :)

I have all the respect in the world for USASF and Varsity and our present Worlds, but Jam Brands appears to have leaders that think outside the box and are willing to try new things. They are relativly small compared to Varsity, and innovation is often the child of the possiblity of becoming inconsequential. Again, the bottom line is the flow of money. I'm fine with paying a gym and staff for their services, but somewhere in the relationship between competition promoters and gyms, the influence of big money tends to warp the "it's a sport" concept to something more akin to the financing of beauty pagents. It may just be politics, but who can deny the influence that money appears to exert on this "sport". I think outside the box is exciting but for this to truly be a sport, the financing needs some adjusting in my opinion. How do you get the top teams in the sport to participate in a true combined championship, and I just do not feel a second day in Orlando should define a World Champion? I hope my speculation is somewhere in the ballpark of their concept.

Travel is significantly more expensive for the US to Europe and back than Europe to the US and back. I believe our ticket prices 'usually' are doubled.

Could you afford it if it was just one way?

I have all the respect in the world for USASF and Varsity and our present Worlds, but Jam Brands appears to have leaders that think outside the box and are willing to try new things. They are relativly small compared to Varsity, and innovation is often the child of the possiblity of becoming inconsequential. Again, the bottom line is the flow of money. I'm fine with paying a gym and staff for their services, but somewhere in the relationship between competition promoters and gyms, the influence of big money tends to warp the "it's a sport" concept to something more akin to the financing of beauty pagents. It may just be politics, but who can deny the influence that money appears to exert on this "sport". I think outside the box is exciting but for this to truly be a sport, the financing needs some adjusting in my opinion. How do you get the top teams in the sport to participate in a true combined championship, and I just do not feel a second day in Orlando should define a World Champion? I hope my speculation is somewhere in the ballpark of their concept.
Ok so I'm a bit confused, under the current system, there is ONE, World Champion per division, what is this "outside the box" idea that is so different than what is currently happening?

Ok so I'm a bit confused, under the current system, there is ONE, World Champion per division, what is this "outside the box" idea that is so different than what is currently happening?

What I am saying is one routine in Orlando should not define a World Championship in my opinion and that is key to my way of thinking, and if you think that it should be the way it is now, there is no need for any preliminaries or a series of competitions that decide who the finalist should be in the last event. And that is fine, keep it the way it is, let virtually everyone show up and see who hits the last day. Again, more money with all those teams vying for finals in the last competition. Seems to me the wrong way though. We may not see things the same way, but a competitive regular season would be a boon for cheerleading in my opinion.

if Jamfest succeeded in making their own "worlds" event... a lot of teams would begin to pick one over the other. it would be like another nationals where only a portion of gyms are represented. For example, a lot of teams go to NCA and not cheersport, or vice versa. When the NCA winner isn't the same as the Cheersport one who is better? That's what Worlds is to decide... and if there are two "worlds" competitions will it ever be settled? I want one competition that every single team that qualifies aims to go to where they are ranked.

What I am saying is one routine in Orlando should not define a World Championship in my opinion and that is key to my way of thinking, and if you think that it should be the way it is now, there is no need for any preliminaries or a series of competitions that decide who the finalist should be in the last event. And that is fine, keep it the way it is, let virtually everyone show up and see who hits the last day. Again, more money with all those teams vying for finals in the last competition. Seems to me the wrong way though. We may not see things the same way, but a competitive regular season would be a boon for cheerleading in my opinion.
So your basically saying the way the Infinity Cup is should determine the World Champion? I'm just trying to clarify.

I think how you do the final day of a competition determines if you are the winner. Getting TO the final day can be a journey, and that is fine with me. The super bowl is determined by who had the better day. Getting to the super bowl is about consistency and a lil bit of luck.

Gymnastics in the olympics is defined by who has the best FINAL performance as well. I don't mind this philosophy at all. What I WOULD like to see is some kind of "steps" to get to worlds. Win your region, go to state. Win your state, go to nationals. Then the top so many teams from nationals in each division is eligible for worlds. Something along those lines.

Not an Infinity Cup per see, but a series of competitions based on standardized scoresheets and judging to indentify the teams that qualify for finals. I just see how that could be appealing to a Jam Brands type company as an alternative to the present system, and frankly, could become more popular if it is done in a way to promote the sporting aspect of cheer. Maybe not, but I'm not investing. I think if what happens in INDY is highly successful, you may see it tried.

Something like the US Finals/All-Levels, but with an actual live final could be interesting. Ends up being a little more tournament style...
Go to regular qualifying competitions to Earn bids to the 6 or so "Regionals" then top 3 from each Regional advance (with paid bids) to Compete for the World title

Are you under the impression that other sports are not influenced by money? For better or worse, money has a huge influence on every sport - particularly as you starting getting to the elite level. While I certainly agree that many decisions are affected by the bottom line, I think that is even MORE true in sports like D1A college football.

Football teams work for the superbowl just like cheerleaders work to get to worlds, i think its fine the way it is, with everything being led up to that sunday, because you have had all year long to be the best you can for that given sunday. It would get really complicated if more than one competition decided who was a world champion. In my opinion, the world champion is the team that goes and performs their best on saturday and sunday at worlds, hitting the cleanest, most difficult routine they can. I think the new top ten the USASF has added in for worlds this year will help shape up our worlds a lot. Of course there are still plenty that needs to be fixed, but I think slowly they are working on it.

Are you under the impression that other sports are not influenced by money? For better or worse, money has a huge influence on every sport - particularly as you starting getting to the elite level. While I certainly agree that many decisions are affected by the bottom line, I think that is even MORE true in sports like D1A college football.

I'm firmly convinced that for the vast number of people the thing that influences their behavior in the most consistant and important manner other than family relationships is money. Of course they all are influenced by money. If Jam Brands did something bold like that it would be for money. I just like a set of rules and judging defined from the first competition, the same for everyone whether they have political influence or not, with a season of competition to adjust to the judging, scoresheet and the competitors, and a champion crowned by that process with the final product being what wins or loses based on real experience. It is not that way now.

Back