All-Star Janky Comps

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

mommadonna

Cheer Parent
Nov 13, 2010
I've been thinking it might be fun to share stories about janky comps!
What is the most janktastic comp you've ever been to? What made it that way?

Well... We went to one this year. I won't out the EP bc I respect them and it was well run, but the facility was janky. Asbestos ceilings? A disco ball over the full out warm up mat? Ehhhh. No thanks, we won't be returning to that particular comp.. It was too "small" overall.

Well... We went to one this year. I won't out the EP bc I respect them and it was well run, but the facility was janky. Asbestos ceilings? A disco ball over the full out warm up mat? Ehhhh. No thanks, we won't be returning to that particular comp.. It was too "small" overall.
LOL! I'm all of a sudden getting memories of the skating rink we went to when I was in the sixth grade...:eek:

We went to one put on by a well known EP that was just awful! First it was in a high school (hate those) with only 4 or 5 gyms competing, no more than 3 per division, most with one or two. The venue had been changed and some gyms pulled out. The sound was so awful that we couldn't understand anything that was being said. Think Charlie Brown teacher wa-wa -wa-wa- wa-wa. The MC mispronounced gym names, got divisions wrong, and obviously knew nothing about cheer. One of the judges could consistently be seen twirling her hair and popping gum during the routines :mad: Oh, and the spring floor went almost all the way to the edge of the bleachers where people were sitting (but 10-15 feet away from where there was NO seating) so people were tripping over it all day. The final straw was when the concession stand closed at noon, but the comp continued until past 4.
I hate that comp!

We did one in a HS too...on wrestling mat. And it was 10000 degrees in there and ex-cp threw up right after she competed. But they won. It was such a great day!

Can I throw in the jankiest award one of my cps ever won? It was a COA comp many years ago and instead of hoodies or jackets they gave out blue pullover windbreakers that were made of plastic and looked like tablecloths.

We did one in a HS too...on wrestling mat. And it was 10000 degrees in there and ex-cp threw up right after she competed. But they won. It was such a great day!

Can I throw in the jankiest award one of my cps ever won? It was a COA comp many years ago and instead of hoodies or jackets they gave out blue pullover windbreakers that were made of plastic and looked like tablecloths.
Aaaaaa! I'd love to see a picture of those!

We also went to one in a high school. The entrance fee was canned goods (3 per person, even the athletes) You had to bring them. There was no other way through the door. Admirable, but also a pain if you have several people. There was literally NO competition in any division, yet they drug out the awards ceremony. There was only seating on the left of the stage. They gave out a coupon for a free tshirt as a participant gift, that the vendor ran out of, and the "substitution" ended up costing me $25!

We also went to one in a high school. The entrance fee was canned goods (3 per person, even the athletes) You had to bring them. There was no other way through the door. Admirable, but also a pain if you have several people. There was literally NO competition in any division, yet they drug out the awards ceremony. There was only seating on the left of the stage. They gave out a coupon for a free tshirt as a participant gift, that the vendor ran out of, and the "substitution" ended up costing me $25!
Why bother with awards then? Drives me batty! Let me guess, they awarded "national champs"?

We went to one put on by a well known EP that was just awful! First it was in a high school (hate those) with only 4 or 5 gyms competing, no more than 3 per division, most with one or two. The venue had been changed and some gyms pulled out. The sound was so awful that we couldn't understand anything that was being said. Think Charlie Brown teacher wa-wa -wa-wa- wa-wa. The MC mispronounced gym names, got divisions wrong, and obviously knew nothing about cheer. One of the judges could consistently be seen twirling her hair and popping gum during the routines :mad: Oh, and the spring floor went almost all the way to the edge of the bleachers where people were sitting (but 10-15 feet away from where there was NO seating) so people were tripping over it all day. The final straw was when the concession stand closed at noon, but the comp continued until past 4.
I hate that comp!
At the one we went to yesterday, there were 2 concession stands open until right BEFORE dinner time (comp ran until past 9:30 pm), then they closed one. The line for the one that was open was freakishly long. On top of that, the cleaning crew must have either gone on strike or it cost too much to have them around, because the toilets were all out of paper, there was food and stuff all over the floor, and the place smelled like a backed up sewer. Ick!

Yeah, I have nothing positive to say about the one we just competed in yesterday.
(I pray our gym does not go back to this spectacle next year)

• No stage lighting (all lighting in arena was on)
  • Very poor sound system (I swear my old Sony system in the garage might have been better)
  • Numerous reports from athletes that the floor had no spring to it
  • Suspect judging (hometown gym amazingly won almost every division they were in!! -they did have SOME good teams, but not all)
  • Poorly organized (during awards, the MC announced one division, went into the next division, then about 90 second pause, went back to the previous division, then back to the next division, another 90 second pause, and the whole time you could see the MC running back and forth to people pointing at pieces of paper as they weren't sure what's next, etc.)
  • they only gave out banners to overall level winners.....and they were the size of bath towels. #FAIL

I went to one that was at a hockey arena and it is terrible. The bathrooms were overflooded:oops:. There was also a hole in the mat you tumble on in the practice arena and a girl on my team landed a front punch in it and dislocated her shoulder. They were out of water the first day and the second day they were out of cups:(

Those things were so awful. You know how some people train in trash bags to try and lose water weight? That's exactly what these gems were, but with long sleeves, and the same color blue as a cheer floor. They ran out of sizes and I got an adult XL. My mom usually donated stuff like that to goodwill but she straight up threw that "prize" away

Back