All-Star Janky Comps

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Quest For The Best at Brookdale College. You had to be there to understand.

You had to live this one to believe it... I remember one year they told all programs to only bring each team there as they competed and then leave.. of course one program brought their whole team all day long.. There's always one in the crowd. Teams got first place that were not even listed to perform it was crazy chaos.. no one knew what division teams were in.. no one could hear awards.. they only announced top three so if your team didn't place it didn't make sense.. especially if teams that were not in the program got top 3. bathrooms overflowed.. ran out of food by noon... you name it, it happened..! AND this was like 6 years ago, I remember it like it was yesterday! lol!

You had to live this one to believe it... I remember one year they told all programs to only bring each team there as they competed and then leave.. of course one program brought their whole team all day long.. There's always one in the crowd. Teams got first place that were not even listed to perform it was crazy chaos.. no one knew what division teams were in.. no one could hear awards.. they only announced top three so if your team didn't place it didn't make sense.. especially if teams that were not in the program got top 3. bathrooms overflowed.. ran out of food by noon... you name it, it happened..! AND this was like 6 years ago, I remember it like it was yesterday! lol!
I was probably sitting next to you.

I'd like to add any comps with a "theme" Mardi Gras... "tiki polynesian" etc... always small and cheesy. the theme is "cheerleading" folks.. we don't need anything else! :banghead:
I see we used to travel in the same circles. Maui Madness. Or the haunted house at the Asbury Park Convention center where warmups were in the theater on the stage and it was ice cold because they were missing windows. I have been trying to figure out who you are or at least what gym you were with for like 10 years. since cheernj. The old cheernj back when it was comical.

A couple of years ago, at a Bid comp. Too many teams for the EP to handle. By noon the comp was well over an hour behind schedule. One awards ceremony for levels 1-3...couldn't fit all of the teams on the elevated stage, to the point where it was dangerous. Still had the dance party though while waiting for the results....EP was lucky the stage didn't collapse but the floor got trashed to the point where they had to pull it up and set it up again. Go figure, when the level 5 teams competed (more than 2 hours behind schedule at this point) tumbling passes were busting left and right and kids were getting carried off on stretchers. This is why I can't stand the negligence clause in release forms.

I'd like to add any comps with a "theme" Mardi Gras... "tiki polynesian" etc... always small and cheesy. the theme is "cheerleading" folks.. we don't need anything else! :banghead:
I always love the Mardi gras one we went to. Small, I guess, but it's MO and i was at a small gym so there were a lot of small comps. I have all my beads in my closet still I believe :oops: :)

Anyone go to Brookdale this past weekend? Overcrowded...EP asked us to leave after our cp's performance & come back at 5pm for awards. We did what we were told & went out to lunch. Meanwhile, they decided to add in another awards ceremony (without warning). Kids missed it. Having to tell my youth cp was awful. Asked her if she understood why we missed awards..."Yes mom, because we got dessert"...ahhh no.

I always love the Mardi gras one we went to. Small, I guess, but it's MO and i was at a small gym so there were a lot of small comps. I have all my beads in my closet still I believe :oops: :)

Agreed! I loved the Mardi Gras competitions! I still have beads and masks at my parents house from them!

Anyone go to Brookdale this past weekend? Overcrowded...EP asked us to leave after our cp's performance & come back at 5pm for awards. We did what we were told & went out to lunch. Meanwhile, they decided to add in another awards ceremony (without warning). Kids missed it. Having to tell my youth cp was awful. Asked her if she understood why we missed awards..."Yes mom, because we got dessert"...ahhh no.
Ah, that stinks:(

Didn't they also have this one in Asbury one year? Which was just as bad as it was at Brookdale...

Didn't they also have this one in Asbury one year? Which was just as bad as it was at Brookdale...

I think they did, I believe that may have been the one Meggaflipper was reffering too. I can't remember why but my cp's team did not go to that but I heard all about it from my friends!

We go to one at a high school called Broughton. After attending twice, going on three times...I've given this competition the title of "Cursed Broughton"...something always goes wrong on absolutely every one of our teams routines...what makes it so janky is that we always have something really bad happen, and we still haven't lost yet here with the exception of our minis who respectively placed something like 2nd last year against like 10 teams.
My first year here, an elevator in the middle of our pyramid fell on my team, and the pyramid couldn't go because it would've been illegal...then a dancer on our front row (who was in said stunt group) ran to her dance spot early and started dancing like 5 counts before everybody else...she's perfect with dances, that just doesn't happen, lol.
My second year...oh boy...I think they got a new mat, because we were all slipping all over the place. On S2, we had like 5 or 6 people tumble off the floor. And then my bestfriend did a forward roll in the dance, and slipped trying to stand up, and almost fell...she split center on the front row...On S4, we had a partner stunt fall, multiple tumblers go off the floor, and half our pyramid fall... and then when I was watching J1, the power went out in the middle of their routine..like music, lights, everything went dead..for like 10 seconds. They kept going with their routine, and the music picked back up exactly where they were though ironically.
the jankiest of janky competitions.

Most of the warmups where I'm from are pretty bad, compared to when we travel. We usually get 3-4 minutes on a 2 strip sprung floor for tumbling. We tumble into some stunts too, so had to warm those up during tumbling warmup. Then we get 3-4 minutes on 7-9 strips of dead (non-sprung) floor for everything else. Then we compete.

Another local competition used to give everyone 5-10 on the competition floor in between events, but it was about 1 hour before you even began to officially warm up. You then got 6 strips in the back of dead floor shared with another team (3 strips each). Try that with 36 high school or adult aged athletes!! You get the floor to your self now, but it's still a dead floor. And our tumbling warmup is down to 3 minutes on the competition floor, over an hour before regular warmup. Haha. Go tell your 24 level 5 athletes to warm up all their tumbling passes in 3 minutes!!

Back