College Just Awful

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
Our friend was accepted to Baylor, tried out and made the Co Ed team as a flyer. She was beyond excited about both attending Baylor and cheering there. A week ago she got a letter they made a mistake and accepted too many students. She will not be able to attend Baylor. She made great grades, had a high GPA, and did very well on her SAT's. They took so long to inform her that now she will not be able to attend any University. Since they are a private school they can do whatever they want and she cant do anything about it. Now, she may try to see if she can go to a junior college or just wait a semester to attend College. I think it is just awful. I feel so bad for here. :/

Wow that is unbelievable :(. I really hope she can get things figured out.
Me too! And I think I have watched way too many Bring It On movies because I am over her wondering was sabotage involved, did a girl with alumni connections and money pull strings to have them push her out based on saying they accidentally accepted too many students because they wanted her flyer spot. And, I have absolutely nothing to base that sabotage theory on. I am probably completely wrong about that, but I just don't get it.

There is no excuse in the world for that, how can they set her up like that?

@Kris I wonder..... that would be SCANDALOUS.
Yep, she is crushed. And she had planned on going to Baylor even if she did not make the cheer team. Making the cheer team was a bonus/icing on the cake.

Yep, she is crushed. And she had planned on going to Baylor even if she did not make the cheer team. Making the cheer team was a bonus/icing on the cake.
That's kills me... I really don't understand how a college can make this type of mistake? And they can't be held responsible.

That's kills me... I really don't understand how a college can make this type of mistake? And they can't be held responsible.

Her family looked into it. Unfortunately, since they are a private college they can get away with it. If it was a public college she could file grievances, etc.

Her family looked into it. Unfortunately, since they are a private college they can get away with it. If it was a public college she could file grievances, etc.
What about being a private college absolves them of their responsibility to a potential student?

What about being a private college absolves them of their responsibility to a potential student?

I only know what they shared with me. After looking into it they found out since private colleges do not accept federal or state funds a private college can accept or unaccept a student at any time.

I only know what they shared with me. After looking into it they found out
From what they shared, since private college does not accept federal or state funds a private college can accept or unacceptable a student at any time.
I'm starting to wonder if your theory is likely... I've never heard of a college accepting too many people. This is suspicious. Was she the only person to whom they told this?

I'm starting to wonder if your theory is likely... I've never heard of a college accepting too many people. This is suspicious. Was she the only person to whom they told this?

I don't know. She is the only person I personally know that was told this.

Does anyone know of people that were accepted to colleges and later told sorry they accepted too many students? I haven't heard of it happening before, but that doesn't mean it never happens. I do think it is cruel and unprofessional.

Last edited:
I've heard of people having their acceptances rescinded, but that usually happened because their grades dropped significantly from the time they applied to when they graduated. It's weird that they outright denied her admission, it would have made more sense to ask people to defer their admission until enough people agreed to do that.

Has she contacted the dean of admissions at the school about the letter?
Yes, she did and she also had her family contact them. They apologized and said there was nothing they could do about it.

I have never heard of something like this happening, ever - did she pay her tuition bill? - what was she doing for housing? - maybe there were problems with her paying her bill cause I've heard of schools dropping a student's classes if their tuition isn't paid by a certain date?

Back