All-Star Just Read The Link Given For Icc/ice....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

First of all, I agree completely with the entire second paragraph. However what I meant is to dismiss the coach privately. It doesn't have to be explained to the entire gym. It could just be a temporary suspension until the situation was resolved. I believe it would be better letting him continue working with kid. His reputation does not have to be destroyed, and getting a new job is a pain, but it would be extremely temporary.

I want to add I think your intentions are honorable. But in this situation the coaches deserve as much protection as the athletes themselves. If the coaches don't have equal protection this job will be too risky for anyone to do.

It doesn't matter if it's private. In the heart of the season (say now) if a coach is quietly dismissed from a gym everyone will notice. And when you have a lack of information people will make up their own reasons which could be even worse. And what's to stop the kids parents from talking and saying the coach is a perv? And how long do you think court cases like this last? Our legal system, while I believe the best and fairest in the world, is not quick.
I think the parents would talk either way, dismissing the coach may make a difference but I don't think it would make a large one. In my gym if a coach touched a kid inappropriately (which would NEVER happen, thank God) , or was accused of touching a kid parents would talk either way and rumors would spread. I have no idea how long court cases last, but I imagine a long time which could be used to argue the other way. As a parent I would be furious if a gym continued to have a coach accused of such a crime, and knew about the accusations and decided to just wait until the trial to dismiss the coach while he continued to work with child.

I want to add I think your intentions are honorable. But in this situation the coaches deserve as much protection as the athletes themselves. If the coaches don't have equal protection this job will be too risky for anyone to do.
Thanks, and I completely understand your point of view as well (as always).

What if multiple kids accused him of it? At that point would you fire him if you were the gym owner?

Thanks, and I completely understand your point of view as well (as always).

What if multiple kids accused him of it? At that point would you fire him if you were the gym owner?

Has to be a case by case basis. If its one persons word against another that is tough... But a picture or text or witnesses would probably mean instant dismissal (but would have a meeting first).

And I just downloaded a location based sex offender app. I'm surrounded. Weird.

(Edited to remove quote.)

You come out strongly about innapropriate things that coaches in Chicago do with their athletes. You say you have witnessed coaches doing drugs and alcohol with athletes. You say you don't assume, but you know of other innappropriate things going on in gyms in Chicago. Your way of handling it is telling USASF, but not the police?

Another thought since this is a public forum. You are claiming to witness illegal activities, and not informing proper authorities. I don't think the legal system would think the USASF is a proper authority to report illegal drug use. Be careful or you might end up on one of those lists that people want to start.

Has to be a case by case basis. If its one persons word against another that is tough... But a picture or text or witnesses would probably mean instant dismissal (but would have a meeting first).

One of those moments where I am glad my phone is not smart- I think my paranoia would go insane if I had that app.

kingston said:

I just downloaded one of those apps on my phone...Wow!! Crazy how accurate it is and it even shows pictures!

One of those moments where I am glad my phone is not smart- I think my paranoia would go insane if I had that app.
yeah.. last year in one of my classes we had a sub & no one was doing anything so in the group i was sitting with somehow the topic of sex offenders came up then the apps they have so i downloaded one on my ipod & whataya know i found one of my friends (not really a close friend but still a friend) dad on it! yeah that was really fun & by fun i mean i wanted to go throw up.

OK...I'll answer this because I really don't care, as I'm not affiliated with any of these people. What else happened? the same thing. Again. With a different adult and another minor. Ew.

:eek: I agree with everyone else that the parents have to step up and not allow their children to be put in this situation. You would think that coming from a gym that had this happen just a few years prior that the parents would have wised up and stopped letting their children be alone with coaches or the owner.

Idk the law, but I would think if you were on a national sex offender registry, you would have a parole officer? Which then would lead me to believe that any person on a national sex offender registry (especially whose offense was against children) wouldnt even be able to work with that amount of children, or be within a certain distance of a school. Is that just me? Or do I watch too many Law & Order SVU episodes?
The requirement to report to a parole or probation officer can expire or might never be imposed. Furthermore, there is not a fantastic record of individual States sharing information about offenders. As gym owners and parents we are responsible for keeping our kids safe. Always check references- it's SHOCKING how often people are dismissed for misconduct and their references aren't properly checked. If an applicant has a reference who says they wouldn't hire them again ask for more references (maybe the conflict was of a personal nature) but don't forget that sometimes red flags look small and insignificant but they're still RED!

Back