All-Star Lack Of Coaches At Usasf Southwest Regional Meeting

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 13, 2011
I might be the only one shocked by the lack of all star coaches at USASF southwest meeting??? Don't get me wrong, meeting was super informative and a great experience. Just felt like more gyms/ coaches would have made this weekend a priority, It was for me ! Oklahoma and Texas have huge allstar markets and this weekend is truely professional development for our industry. This meeting is an opportunity for us as coaches to hear the exact interpretations for rules and to keep ourselves updated on where our industry is moving.

As a cheerleader, coach, or parent what is your opinion on your gym potentially not attending the one meeting a year that could prevent you from getting legalities, being put in the wrong division or being behind on the trends of that would give you a competitive edge.

Let me clarify that the meeting had a pretty good attendance just missing a lot of big time/ up and coming gym representation

OkCheerCoach said:
Let me clarify that the meeting had a pretty good attendance just missing a lot of big time/ up and coming gym representation

I really wanted to go this year but I wasn't able. Def going next year tho. I completely agree that it's very important.

@OkCheerCoach I've heard similar comments following all of the regional meetings. It seems like there should be about 5x as many people in attendance and many of those not in attendance are the ones that need to hear what is being said.

many of those not in attendance are the ones that need to hear what is being said.

Usually the ones that need to hear what is being said are the ones who think they are the be all, end all and don't need to go to any conferences.

And those coaches/owners will be the first to say "when did this change happen? Man, nobody ever tells us anything."

Who were you expecting that wasnt there at some point? of the "big"gyms, CA, SOT, Champion, Pro Spirit, Woodlands Elite, Express plus many others were there.

What if USASF had continuing education requirements and the meetings provided the information?

@BlueCat I am an Oklahoma coach ( lol like my name says) and there were very few representatives from my state in attendance! I do not feel it's my place to "call people out" but I was surprised that gyms would not be there to soak up info.

@ACEDAD I think there should be some kind of continuing education requirements or professional development requirements.

@Andre i totally agree. even just listening to Les talk through interpretations and mis interpretations of rules, Opening discussions on where we want this industry to go , and having the ability to talk to other coaches and promote sportsmanship across programs early in the season is enlightening .

We used to have similar issues in gymnastics meetings. One issue that is the same is that a lot of the people you really wish would be there - or those who wish they could be there themselves are working. Either their regular full time job, or in the gym working. So they can't be there due to work constraints. Now as long as a gym sends a representative and they share what transpired with the rest of the staff at the gym then it is ok. Also don't forget that there are still a lot of gyms that aren't true USASF supporters but registered in the past simply so they can go to Worlds. That is where a lot of misinterpretation comes from as well.

What if USASF had continuing education requirements and the meetings provided the information?
I think this is a great idea! Every gym should have at least one rep attending these meetings. It shouldn't be that hard.

A good bit of the problem is there is little intertwined infrastructure to get the word out and let people communicate. Heck... the Fierce Board might be the best communication tool between cheerleading people (for better or worse).

I would attend all of the meetings if at all possible. In Doral it was discussed about having "required" meetings (at least for tumbling) per region. I still don't understand why they don't go back to having the meetings the Mon and Tue AFTER Worlds? Everyone is already there and would save on travel cost if you just had to pay for another nights stay at a hotel. I have heard complaints on cost from some smaller programs.

I am not in the southwest region, but I did not attend the Midwest Conference for a few reasons. For me, it's not that I think that I am "above" learning but it's difficult to make it to a conference that's not centrally located in our region (conference in Ohio, Chicago would have been a more central location). The combination of the distance (8 hr drive) and the time it would take to travel would force me to take 3 days off from my "real" job- which just isn't a reality for me.

I would attend all of the meetings if at all possible. In Doral it was discussed about having "required" meetings (at least for tumbling) per region. I still don't understand why they don't go back to having the meetings the Mon and Tue AFTER Worlds? Everyone is already there and would save on travel cost if you just had to pay for another nights stay at a hotel. I have heard complaints on cost from some smaller programs.

No offense, but not everyone is there. There are a lot of programs that don't have level 5 teams or don't have level 5s that are Worlds level teams. We like to be educated too, but my small gym probably isn't paying to send me to Florida for a conference anytime soon.

Back