All-Star Long Commute For Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 14, 2013
I used to commute a little over an hour drive. The gym I want to go to, is 2-3 hours away (but it's a REALLY good, big name gym, probably the best one around my area) and I'd have to take train/bus and not get home till 12:30 or 1 AM from practice. (Not many good gyms near where I live that still have team openings!)

I hear of lots of people who commute at least that much, no problem, and some people who fly to gyms...so I don't feel like I'm totally crazy lol...but just wondering advice on whether this is a good idea or not? or if you have commuted long distances for cheer what's your advice, like do you stay overnight near the gym or just go back that night, etc?

I would say it depends on what you will gain from the experience. Are you a level 5 athlete looking for a ring or are you simply looking to cheer? It depends on how much you value the time and energy that you will lose due to this commute and if it will br worth it in the end run.

I commute 2-2,5 hours one way to practice. Right now I'm not competing, just coaching, but last season I was both on a team and coaching. I'm not gonna lie, it's hard and extremely time consuming. But you will get used to it and for me personally I find it worth it. I take the train/bus too and it's good because you can study, sleep or whatever you want to do.Let me know if you have any questions or wants more advice!

I suppose it depends on how important it is to you. Personally, I probably would not drive more than 15 - 20 minutes to take my CP to a gym. But I am probably in the minority.

We drove about 2 hours. On the way there, with traffic, it was almost 3 hours. On the way home about 1.5. We did it 6 days a week. It was worth it because my cp's got to cheer at the gym they loved (no it wasn't a big name gym, just average. But they loved it there).

But it's a huuuuuuuuge commitment. I had to leave work an hour earlier than everyone else, and work weekends to make it up. The drive was stressful beyond belief (3 hours in rush hour traffic every day is crazy) and it was expensive as all get out (Chicago gas prices are no joke). It's very tempting to not go sometimes (when the weather is bad, when you're exhausted, etc) so you really have to WANT to do it.

I'd say think long and hard about aaaalllll of the pros and cons before deciding.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I used to commute a little over an hour drive. The gym I want to go to, is 2-3 hours away (but it's a REALLY good, big name gym, probably the best one around my area) and I'd have to take train/bus and not get home till 12:30 or 1 AM from practice. (Not many good gyms near where I live that still have team openings!)

I hear of lots of people who commute at least that much, no problem, and some people who fly to gyms...so I don't feel like I'm totally crazy lol...but just wondering advice on whether this is a good idea or not? or if you have commuted long distances for cheer what's your advice, like do you stay overnight near the gym or just go back that night, etc?

What about school next day? I´d be worried if cp would be alone on a train/bus that late, too. I don´t know how old you are - but what are your parents thinking about it, will they support you?

I guess only you can decide if it is that important to you, if you will take the long drive even if you are tired, have homework, get up early next day or if you are sick. Good luck!

Ive cheered at a few different gyms in my cheerleading career and the commutes have ranged from 10 minutes to 4 hours. It all depends how much its worth it to you, but you definitely aren't crazy for wanting to make that commute. While the 4 hour drive was long, it was only once a week and it was worth it to me to cheer at a "bigger name" gym. My current gym is an hour away from home and I think its the perfect distance, an hour feels like nothing

I cheered at a gym that was 2.5-3 hours away, and we had to be there twice a week. It wasn't too bad because we always had somebody driving us so we had plenty of time to do homework or whatever during the trip. One thing that was difficult was doing school cheer as well as allstar.

What about school next day? I´d be worried if cp would be alone on a train/bus that late, too. I don´t know how old you are - but what are your parents thinking about it, will they support you?

I guess only you can decide if it is that important to you, if you will take the long drive even if you are tired, have homework, get up early next day or if you are sick. Good luck!
I'm 18 and the practice is only on weekends. I would have school the next day but it wouldn't start till 9AM so it won't be to bad!

I would say it depends on what you will gain from the experience. Are you a level 5 athlete looking for a ring or are you simply looking to cheer? It depends on how much you value the time and energy that you will lose due to this commute and if it will br worth it in the end run.
I'm level 5 so I feel like it may be worth it. If I was doing a lower-level team I'd probably just stay local

My 8yo has a 9 minute commute and thank god because sometimes I can barely make that on time.

Knowing what I know about the train, I would not let her ride it to practice. If she were a worlds level athlete though and needed to go several hours, I would take her there. I hope you get your chance to go. Good luck to you!

My 8yo has a 9 minute commute and thank god because sometimes I can barely make that on time.

Knowing what I know about the train, I would not let her ride it to practice. If she were a worlds level athlete though and needed to go several hours, I would take her there. I hope you get your chance to go. Good luck to you!
Yeah I've tried the train to other gyms before and I was a little scared at first...but I'm a level 5 cheerleader and I hate the idea of giving up cheer just because of the commute :(

Got home with mine at 1:25am last night. It's a school night so he was up to get ready at 6:30am.... And it's not NCA or Worlds practice schedule yet (read: daily).

It's all what you (or in my case your parents since mine isn't old enough to drive himself) are willing to sacrifice and if the reward is worth the price.

The only person that can answer that is you. Were just making payments on the #strugglebus

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Back