Lower Back Pain

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 16, 2015
I found this board through this link
Lower Back Pain Anyone? | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer
Im a newbie and I can only post in the newbie section.

Anyways my daughter has been cheerleading and tumbling since she was about 5 or 6. Last year she was complaining of lower back pain. I took her to the doctor and they did an xray and MRI on her and said they don't see any problems. To this day anytime she starts tumbling or doing alot of jumps her back starts hurting again. She also had PT and she rested for several months and it starts all over again anytime she tumbles or does jumps. She had to drop tumbling classes and she really wanted to master more skills.

Has anyone gone through this? What can be done to make it go away?

It's fairly common, and there may not be anything that can be done to make it go away completely. It may be a pulled muscle that becomes aggravated as soon as the tumbling/jumping activity resumes. I'm not a fan of chiropractors but that may be helpful. My kids have had therapeutic sports massages (not a normal spa massage) and those have been helpful. The massage therapist also gave them exercises to do which was effective.

Cp had similar issues and the cause was tumbling technique. New tumbling coach corrected it and now cp is good to go. He also used to see a chiropractor once a month but hasn't done that in a year.

**Always post responsibly**

Probably different than your situation, but my youngest CP had back problems. She was over stretching on the side that she pulls her body positions, needles, over stretches, etc. She wasn't stretching both sides. It was causing her back to be off. Now she always stretches both sides. She has also eased off from some of the extreme stretching.

I struggled with back pain for years. It got to the point where I was losing my tumbling and I was crying getting out of bed and I was constantly complaining. I took 6 months off of cheer completely to see if it would help then I went back with one 2 hour tumbling class a week, and it was still bad. Now It's been 2 years since I stopped cheering and tumbling all together and I still have pain. I still don't know why or what is causing it. But please take this seriously, back injuries are no joke and I wouldn't want any person to go through the pain I was in 24/7. Try ice/heat and kt tape worked wonders on my back the last couple of years I was cheering. But please take this seriously.

@seeing_starz have you consulted your physician on this? Have you considered a chiropractor?

@seeing_starz have you consulted your physician on this? Have you considered a chiropractor?

I've tried everything. Massage therapy helped for a little bit and I invested in a foam roller but nothing else would work and the doctors don't know what's wrong

I just remembered, once I went to a muscle rehabilitation guy, and he did this thing called cupping on my back (they put like these large suction cups on your skin and move them around) and that helped a lot. Maybe try that

I've tried everything. Massage therapy helped for a little bit and I invested in a foam roller but nothing else would work and the doctors don't know what's wrong
Have you tried increasing your hydration level? Cp has added coconut water and water with a higher ph level into her daily intake and that (in conjunction with the roller and massage therapy) has really helped.

Also, do you use sports orthotics in your cheer sneakers? You might want to look into that too.

Have you tried increasing your hydration level? Cp has added coconut water and water with a higher ph level into her daily intake and that (in conjunction with the roller and massage therapy) has really helped.

Also, do you use sports orthotics in your cheer sneakers? You might want to look into that too.
I tried Literally everything. I don't cheer anymore due to the injury

I had massive issues with my back went to a physio and they said I had a hinge point which meant when I bent my back not all the vertebrae were being ultilised she gave me some excersises and it has helped that and stretching ,y hamstrings

I had massive issues with my back went to a physio and they said I had a hinge point which meant when I bent my back not all the vertebrae were being ultilised she gave me some excersises and it has helped that and stretching ,y hamstrings
My hamstrings tightening is usually what throws off my lower back. Dealing with that right now!

I tried Literally everything. I don't cheer anymore due to the injury
I'm sorry to hear that but sometimes you have to remove yourself from the activity that is causing the pain no matter how much you love it. We considered pulling cp if things had not started to slowly improve. For the upcoming season she plans on doing school cheer again but may only do the fall season and not the winter when they compete (and tumble on the dead mat which is what killed her to begin with).

I'm sorry to hear that but sometimes you have to remove yourself from the activity that is causing the pain no matter how much you love it. We considered pulling cp if things had not started to slowly improve. For the upcoming season she plans on doing school cheer again but may only do the fall season and not the winter when they compete (and tumble on the dead mat which is what killed her to begin with).
My health and safety was more important to me than cheering. I hope you find out how to help your cp with her pain and I hope she heals quickly.

Back