All-Star "males - Minimize Exaggerated Or Theatrical Movements"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

For me personally, cheerleading was the only place where I could really be theatric and expressive. When I was on the basketball team or in karate, I had to reflect a more standard "heterosexual" image. And with my family and church the same was true.
Cheerleading was a much needed breath of fresh air for me. Through cheerleading I explored myself and my level of flamboyancy. I rediscovered my homosexuality in a new, more positive light.
In basketball, being the queer kid held me back, in cheerleading, having the fiercest facials and servin mad heat in the dance put me a cut above. It was refreshing and something that, though Im sure was obnoxious to onlookers during some of the more over-dramatic stages where I was still trying to figure things out, was desperately needed for me to come to terms with who I am.

Thats why this rule pisses me off. Im aged out now, it's no longer my problem. But it scares me to think that there will be other boys going through the same thing I did without having a means to work through it because of this new rule.

Even if flamboyant men held this sport back (which I dont think they do), I think USASF has to decide which is more important, the athletes (the children), or the image cheerleading has to people who dont participate in it.

My boyfriend didn't realize why this statement was so offensive until I explained it like this.

I coach children between the ages of 6 and 12. If this "standard" is upheld, the burden of explaining a lot of deep stuff falls on my shoulders. I then have to tell the little boys that I coach why it is unacceptable for them to fly even though they are the smallest on the team. Why they aren't allowed to blow a kiss after their tumbling pass even though their female teammates can. Why they have to go home and practice keeping a simple "athletic" smile on their faces instead of winking and making AEIOU faces.

When the question, "but why?" comes up, I can't say "because you're a boy," even though it's the truth. That answer could potentially lead to confusion and hurt feelings and then foster some horrible ideas of what is "acceptable" for boys and what isn't. That's not something that I want to teach my own children when I have them and also not something that I want to teach the children that I coach.

So then what do I say? These little boys are kids. They aren't going to see it as a general standard for their gender. They aren't going to understand that the USASF is doing this. Instead, they're going to see this as their coach being mean to them and not to the little girls on their team. What do I tell them then?

I think this is the best anyone has explained it. I wish someone with your forsight had been on the ruling comity.
Brava

Point blank... they took it off, acknowledging they were wrong. They are also most likely instructed not to talk about it.. So all we can do is hope they take the next step..

Taking it down isnt admitting they were wrong. Theres a difference between "Im sorry I was wrong" and "Oh Sh*t people dont like it... Hide it! Take it down!"

I really dont think many people know what a true apology is anymore.

That is what I am thinking. None of us really know what the board was thinking when they created all of this. And if we think they are all stupid and would get easily pinned into something like that, then we are mistaken.

Also they could argue that they are trying to move to the sport into an area that highlights the SKILLS not the PERFORMANCE. This is evidenced by all of their other guidelines. This is supposed to more of an athletic sport instead of a performing art.
Then why all the long curled hair, fierce dances, intricate choreo? I keep reading in other threads that one of the two things people seem to like about SS is their dance and choreo and the fact they "put on a show" and the other of course, tumbling. But I hear the first one a whole lot more. Nothing wrong w/that, bc they do perform well, etc.

However, if the USASF really valued overall athleticism better and not the "performance" aspect , i.e., dancing,
then why doesn't their judging reflect it at the biggest competition of the year? It's well known that Court has already said last year that SE got docked for their dance (bc it wasn't long enough).... I don't quite see how that's wanting to emphasize athleticism, but I digress.... just something I thought of when I was reading your post

For me personally, cheerleading was the only place where I could really be theatric and expressive. When I was on the basketball team or in karate, I had to reflect a more standard "heterosexual" image. And with my family and church the same was true.
Cheerleading was a much needed breath of fresh air for me. Through cheerleading I explored myself and my level of flamboyancy. I rediscovered my homosexuality in a new, more positive light.
In basketball, being the queer kid held me back, in cheerleading, having the fiercest facials and servin mad heat in the dance put me a cut above. It was refreshing and something that, though Im sure was obnoxious to onlookers during some of the more over-dramatic stages where I was still trying to figure things out, was desperately needed for me to come to terms with who I am.

Thats why this rule pisses me off. Im aged out now, it's no longer my problem. But it scares me to think that there will be other boys going through the same thing I did without having a means to work through it because of this new rule.

Even if flamboyant men held this sport back (which I dont think they do), I think USASF has to decide which is more important, the athletes (the children), or the image cheerleading has to people who dont participate in it.

:chestbump:

I am new to the Twitter World.... but if you can make #DiscriminatoryDeduction Trending - Much would be appreciated! I am @kylegadke on Twitter if you wish to follow me!

My boyfriend didn't realize why this statement was so offensive until I explained it like this.

I coach children between the ages of 6 and 12. If this "standard" is upheld, the burden of explaining a lot of deep stuff falls on my shoulders. I then have to tell the little boys that I coach why it is unacceptable for them to fly even though they are the smallest on the team. Why they aren't allowed to blow a kiss after their tumbling pass even though their female teammates can. Why they have to go home and practice keeping a simple "athletic" smile on their faces instead of winking and making AEIOU faces.

When the question, "but why?" comes up, I can't say "because you're a boy," even though it's the truth. That answer could potentially lead to confusion and hurt feelings and then foster some horrible ideas of what is "acceptable" for boys and what isn't. That's not something that I want to teach my own children when I have them and also not something that I want to teach the children that I coach.

So then what do I say? These little boys are kids. They aren't going to see it as a general standard for their gender. They aren't going to understand that the USASF is doing this. Instead, they're going to see this as their coach being mean to them and not to the little girls on their team. What do I tell them then?

What do you tell the girls when they want to walk around with their shirt off like the boys? Don't be mean...

Why? I generally asking. I know "Because it's the law" but why is the law what it is?
The general law of decency. If I go to school as a 17 year old girl without a shirt on...I don't think I'd make it to the front door before I'd be tackled by teachers. It's just an anatomical thing I suppose :p

And the "general law of decency" also applies to males - we don't let males walk around with no bottoms on. Each sex has things that should be covered. I don't see that as discriminatory, whereas calling out males (and males alone) for their own personal style of dance/motions would be more akin (in my eyes) to calling out "that black girl" (and her alone) on XYZ Allstars who does the fiercest (and most theatrical and exaggerated) dance on the team.

(To be clear here: I mean no discrimination, so please don't slant my comment that way.)

So the anatomy of boys and girls are different and yet asking boys to act like boys and girls to act like girls deserves a call to the ACLU? If they were banning homosexual males from the sport it would be one thing, but suggesting that boys should act like boys is another.

IMO the USASF cannot stop how people. Let's be honest, The EPs of the USASF have a hard time getting the legalities / scores right much less give deductions for a guy diva-ing it up on stage. I'm just curios as to why people find it so offensive.

When I go to work in the morning, I have to be clean shaven, hair brushed, collared shirt tucked in, and a belt. I do yard work for a property management company!!!! At first I thought it absurd, because I am a tshirt and shorts kind of guy and HATE to shave, but I got over it. I didn't call the worker's rights union because I thought they weren't letting me express myself through my clothing / facial hair.

I don't think the USASF was trying to hold anyone back from expressing themselves, but just saying on the floor may not be the best place. Find some friends and go be yourself at the mall, at the movies, wherever. Nobody can change who you are, nor should you let them. On the floor, the routine and skills should speak for themself.

But the problem lies within "asking boys to act like boys" - this is assuming there is a clear, cut and dry way in which boys act and should act.

Male fashion designers, male opera singers, male ballet/lyrical dancers... I don't think there is anything wrong with the way these boys express themselves, but I also don't think they act like stereotypical "boys".

I also don't see anyone at the USASF suggesting that girls should act like stereotypical "girls" - or we would have no all-girl teams, because it's not girly to be exerting huge amounts of physical strength to hold another girl in the air.

Your employer probably asks for a similar standard of appearance from any females who work for them - or do they allow females to show up in t-shirts and shorts? There may even be safety concerns for wearing pants and belt over showing up in shorts.

I don't think the problem is really with the fact that the USASF wants to change the image of the sport (as your employer wants to uphold the image of their company). I think the problem here is that males in particular and males alone were called out for their style of dance/motions. UltimateRudags, please chime in - would you have had a problem if the suggestion had been targeted at both males and females?

Back